The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default favorite Fly Mask?

I've been using a Cashel mask, but I'm not feeling it some much this summer. Keeps bugs off, yes, but it just seems really hot under there

He's only out with one other gelding in a dry lot during the day, so I"m not super concerned with durability. I just need something that wont rub and will be bit more breathable.

I was looking at Rambo's mask...but I'm concerned it wont be bit enough for my horse's huge head...?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

The Kensington "bug eye bug off" is durable and comfortable for all-day wear. My Arab has one eye that drips and this stays on.I think I've had it for two years,a new record!

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I've been using a Cashel mask, but I'm not feeling it some much this summer. Keeps bugs off, yes, but it just seems really hot under there

He's only out with one other gelding in a dry lot during the day, so I"m not super concerned with durability. I just need something that wont rub and will be bit more breathable.

I was looking at Rambo's mask...but I'm concerned it wont be bit enough for my horse's huge head...?
    The Rambo is probably the most comfortable for horses mask I've found.
    They run large. A friend's large horse had to go to a cob size.
    If you purchase a Rambo from adams they will allow you to return a mask that doesn't fit as long as it's in pristine condition and returned within 10 days.

The only thing I do not like about the mask is that the shortest piece of Velcro is stitched onto elastic. That eventually gives and tears. Someone handy with a needle or has a repair shop near by could fix it to be sturdier...unfortunately I'm neither handy nor have a repair shop anywhere close.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

2 members found this post helpful.

Regular ol' SuperMask. I am not a fan of anything with elastic; they come off too easily, especially if you have a playful gelding.

I buy the Cashel long nosed ones if I have a pink nose to protect, but remove the elastic.

I have never really worried about the heat underneath. If you are concerned about heat, you might like the Absorbine ones. They are made of a very light, sheer, strong mesh. I liked them better when they were made with soft ears, but the new ones with "self ears" still seem to work fine without rubbing.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Farnam Supermask with the double Velcro closure. It's the only mask that will still be on my playful geldings by the end of the day.
    --o0o--

The best fly mask I've found for my Appy mare (who can remove and trash any other piece of fly protection in record time) is a cheap brand called Horse Sense. They are durable, stay on, and cost around $10. They run big as well (my mare wears the Arabian size), so perhaps the regular horse size will be big enough for your guy, OP.

i'm using the rambo fly mask this season for the first time. i LOVE the fact that the stiffener keeps the material off their eyes with room to spare. it comes with ears and a detachable nose protector. it runs large. i got a cob size for my mare that normally wears a horse size cashel mask.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Love the Rambo fly mask (the one with the one "peak" that goes around the whole head). Durable, fits my jug head of a horse, and he has yet to get it off!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I have been a Farnam Supermask fan as well. I'm really bummed though, it appears they don't make an Arabian size without the ears anymore so when this mask dies I'll be on the hunt again.

Cashel fan. Used them on several different horses, from fully stalled to out in large pastures. Never had an issue with heat? I've just found them to fit better than other brands. I've used SuperMasks but the flies seem to be able to crawl underneath the trim up near the hollow by the eye.

I am a Horse Sense mask fan. I bought a bunch of Extra Large on sale many years ago and am still using them up! I go through about one per year. They generally stay on, and the velcro seems to last longer than other masks.

I use the Absorbine ones and I personally like them. They are lightweight and they stay on very well. The only thing I hate about mine is that it is black.

I personally like the Cashel masks with the grey as they stay cool even in the FL heat.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Another vote for the Absorbine Ultrashield masks. I prefer the ones without ears. They are lightweight, and my horses are never sweaty under them. Also, I like that the fabric won't poke an eye out. I've never had one come off, either. They wash well, too.

http://www.satine-home-shoppe.com/PA...raflymasks.jpg
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I agree with the posters who said that the Rambo masks run large. My TB wears a horse size bridle, halter, etc. and is a pretty solid 16.1hh horse, and the horse size mask was massive on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by melody1 View Post
    I agree with the posters who said that the Rambo masks run large. My TB wears a horse size bridle, halter, etc. and is a pretty solid 16.1hh horse, and the horse size mask was massive on his face.
    Good to know, thanks!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Don't know the brand - had it too long - but I make sure they are wide enough over the eyes for her wide forehead, or it seems too tight.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Absorbine fits my horse. the farnam ones did not. either too large or the velcro was too short.

Rambo
    followed by Cashel.

My wb has the old style convex head, and long eye lashes and protruding eyes. So he has to have a fly mask that stands off of his eyes.

But nothing is good at night so he rubs off his fly mask. I've bought those mesh ones that are better to see thru, but they catch of his lashes. Fly masks obscure the sight, and I don't want my horses to be unable to see during nighttime turnout in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    I have been a Farnam Supermask fan as well. I'm really bummed though, it appears they don't make an Arabian size without the ears anymore so when this mask dies I'll be on the hunt again.
    Say it ain't so!!! Any mask with ears comes right off my Arab's head. The Supermask stays on tight and lasts; my current one is going on its 3rd year.

Why do masks run so big? It's hard finding anything to fit a wee Arab head. The Cashel is huge around the throat latch and when looking at the measurements, the next smaller size runs the same.

Maybe I'll find some old Supermasks in his size without ears hidden in the back of the displays.

Oh poo!!

it definitely runs large but also keep in mind it looks like a bee keeper's hat on them. when i first put the cob sized mask on my mare i thought for sure it was still too large. but that was just an optical illusion because of the general shape of the mask.
    i also like the two velcro straps it has - one closer to the chin and the other back under the jowls.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Good to know, thanks!
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique