The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
    But that doesnt fly at my place.
    No pun intended?

As much as I have listed my horror story above ..I mean, OP did say "seriously".. I do love my chickens. We are left with two layers, one of whom to my consternation has started eating her eggs. Today I got 20 more - 15 meat birds, 4 layers and and one surprise. One chick was dead when I opened the box. I would imagine shipping them during a heat wave was a bit rough...

LOL on the pun.
    But sorry about the dead chick.
    That brings up another point to chicken keeping- if you live someplace where it gets hot, make sure to keep them cool in hot weather. We lost 3 during a heat wave a few years ago when the temp got to about 115. Now, during the summer when it is above about 98, we've installed misters above their nest boxes and also leave a hose trickling under the trees so they have a wading pool and cool earth.

I would like to have a small flock of free-ranging chickens, but I am concerned about predators. We live in a rural area....coyotes, foxes, possums, raccoons, etc. We have 7 cats that go in and out (no dogs) and I worry that a predator might take a cat instead of (or in addition to) a chicken. Has anyone had this happen?

We had a pack of dogs come through a few years ago and they killed one of our cats. I am concerned that having chickens would be inviting that kind of thing to happen more often.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    I would like to have a small flock of free-ranging chickens, but I am concerned about predators. We live in a rural area....coyotes, foxes, possums, raccoons, etc. We have 7 cats that go in and out (no dogs) and I worry that a predator might take a cat instead of (or in addition to) a chicken. Has anyone had this happen?

We had a pack of dogs come through a few years ago and they killed one of our cats. I am concerned that having chickens would be inviting that kind of thing to happen more often.
    I think if you have a pack of dogs come through anything can happen (i.e. you will lose cats too). I don't know that having chickens would have any causality to having it happen more often. I mean it is based on whether or not there is a free-roaming pack of dogs, right? I am so thankful I haven't had to deal with roaming dogs (yet). I worry about my elderly Doberman (he's a puss but he's only out when supervised).

Cats can/will kill chickens. Some do it for s*its and giggles and some do it for food. Not all cats kill them. I have caught the neighbor's many barn cats stalking mine several times (particularly when they are laying under the bush), but so far they have been deterred by the fact my chickens weight more than they do, and plenty of other available game (i.e. songbirds). I wouldn't free-range hens until they were full size. But I'm just basing that on what I've read over on the BackYard Chicken forum.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Chickens are Satans minions....at least in my book they are. We had a rooster that if you walked by the coop would attack. Couple that with getting flogged and nearly stepping on a snake in the chicken coop and breaking 20 eggs (yes, 20-we had way too many hens!) and I am not fond of them. Minions I tell you, MINIONS!!!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

The barn im at has free range chickens. I HATE them. The rooster will chase you down, and the hens find the most inconvienent places to lay eggs.

Chicken poo is gross. Nothing worse then tracking chicken poo in the car. Yuck!
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy