The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default keeping foot dry while bathing...

My guy is recovering from surgery and must keep his foot dry. Well, that was all well and good until now: it's 90 and he's going to be a sweaty mess when I get to the barn. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for keeping his foot dry while I hose him? The wash stall is matted on concrete, so it's not as if it's going to be muddy. Maybe an iv bag taped to the leg, with some sort of cuff to deflect the water?? I can't be the first one to have needed this - please share your brilliant ideas!

I use a ziplock bag and wrap some baling string around the top to keep it watertight. Easy-peasy!

Yep, I would do a strong plastic bag (like an IV bag), then tape it to the leg (elasticon, or ductape). I would be hesitant to use a string, as that can cause a pretty sharp pressure point.

If it has to stay 100% dry, I would also pack sheet cotton around the top of the hoof (but inside the bag) to catch any water that leaks through the tape.

2 members found this post helpful.

Baby diaper around his foot, then a ziploc freezer bag, then duck tape. The diaper will absorb any water that does happen to leak in.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just turn the horse upside down to wash it. Be sure to leave it that way until it dries so that when you turn it right side up water doesn't' drain out of the fur onto the feet.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sponge bath

Default Glad ~ Press N Seal wrap ``` grocery store !

Glad ~ " Press 'n Seal " wrap from the grocery store !

Tear off a square place on ground under foot bring the edges upward and wrap around fetlock ````` easy peasy !

** works with human injuries ,,,, rotator cuff , stitches of any kind anywhere .... take a square and press on covering the area that you need to keep dry !

It's really Wonderful stuff !!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I have tried EVERYTHING...or at least it feels like that. The bags were never great, and I did duck tape them; used the press n'seal...everything. I tried all last summer (diapers, multiple zip lock bags and duck tape/vet wrap...) and could not come up with a thing that worked. My reasons were different, though...they were to prevent quarter cracks.

This year I am approaching it by using Effol hoof ointment before bathing. A farrier suggested it (not mine). Today was the first day...seemed to repel the water very well.
    Good Luck!

This reminds me of bathing with a leg cast: royal a** pain & after all you try, it still gets wet. Good luck.

I wonder if keeping the wrapped up foot lifted when you are sponging near that area would help. Get a helper to hold out his leg

I wonder if those neoprene "cuffs" that I've seen for sale for people to keep water from running down your arm would work on the horse + the baggie method?

Ah-ha. These dealies.

Simkie, that's exactly what I was contemplating! I couldn't figure out how to google it!

I ended up just sponging him with a very conservative amount of water with the leg and foot still wrapped. Boooorrriiinnnggg, but effective for cooling, if not for removal of all sweat. God knows I've got time to curry that, these days.

Thanks all! And Tom, surely I should just train him to hold his foot up out of the way of all water? Or are you just enabling me to buy large equipment?