The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calico kitty, loves people but NOT other cats, needs home or barn -- Baltimore MD

This is Honeydew!

http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Cat-Dom...thair-19861828

She is from a rough neighborhood in Baltimore City called Cherry Hill. This neighborhood is TEEMING with cats, mostly pets, mostly unaltered. A woman there works tirelessly to get the cats fixed, and picked up Honeydew and had her spayed. She found a home for her, but a child in the home was rough with her and got swatted, and the woman decided the area Honeydew was living in was too rough to release her, so took her to BARCS, the city shelter.

Unfortunately Honeydew is VERY bothered by other cats... seeing them, smelling them, even hearing them. She was very upset in the shelter, and was redirecting her anxiety onto people. She was even spraying in her cage, she was so agitated. The shelter is full, it's kitten season, and the call went out around lunchtime on Weds. that Honeydew had til the end of the day to get a barn home lined up. So, of course, I brought her home to foster.

Turns out, she's totally friendly and loves people, no litter box issues whatsoever. Still not thrilled about other cats, but it's possible she would be ok with another cat as long as she could steer mostly clear of them. Obviously being in a room with 40 other caged cats did not sit well with her, though!

She would be happy to be an indoor kitty -- likes to sit in your lap, sleep in bed with you, etc. Also would probably enjoy barn life, as long as she got lots of attention. I wouldn't necessarily recommend her for a lesson barn with tons of kids, as she is fussy about how she's petted, but would be fine in an adult barn where everyone respects her boundaries. Does anyone need a one-cat mousing crew for their barn? She's spayed, UTD on vaccines, FIV/FELV negative, no adoption fee, and I can deliver her anywhere within 2 hours of Baltimore.

I don't always remember to check here for responses, so please email me at eharty@gmail.com.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0c475d38-11b3-49b4-a2b1-4fa33fa6589c.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	38250  
    Last edited by Erin; Jul. 13, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Bump! Honeydew, now known as Tracy, is still looking for a home. She got a chance to go stay with a friend of mine who has no other pets for two weeks, and she was SO HAPPY! She loves to walk up and greet people, she "supervised" some construction going on, etc. She relaxed a ton when she wasn't so worried about another cat being in her space. She would be absolutely fine as an indoor cat -- she's had no litter box issues whatsoever -- but she likely would also enjoy being a barn kitty too. (She seems interested in going outside, but isn't a bolter, so it's easy to keep her indoor-only if that's what's preferred.)

She is still a bit of a diva and particular about how she is petted, but she communicates her preferences quite well, and she doesn't swat or bite. This girl is really a hoot (my friend loved her!) and will really flourish in the right situation.

I have her listed on Craigslist with some additional info and photos: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pet/3894218593.html

She's kind of miserable here with the other cats around, so I'd really like to get her into a new home ASAP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Ed3t33Gb5r95Kf5q1d6p4ddc2f39f8b41595.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	38457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00B0B_j1VzRGtDCeV_600x450.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	38458  

Bump for the kitty!

Original Poster

Giving her another bump! I've actually got her loose in a bedroom with one other kitty now, and she doesn't particularly want anything to do with the other cat, but at least tolerates her (and she doesn't like other cats either, so they're mostly pretending the other isn't there!). So Tracy could probably coexist with another barn cat; indoors, though, I think she'd be happiest on her own.

She's really a great kitty, and she's NOT very happy here right now, so I'd love to find her a new home soon!

Original Poster

I am STILL trying to find a home for Tracy. She has been in a pet store adoption center for a couple of weeks, and actually did very well, but hasn't found an appropriate adopter and is getting antsy being stuck in a cage, so I'm going to bring her back home in a couple of days.

She is a riot if you like a spunky kitty! And she's very very sweet, as long as you're doing everything the "right" way. Please email me at eharty@gmail.com if you're interested.