The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default calories burned while riding

Have you ever wondered how many calories you burned while riding? I was always unimpressed by the estimates I've seen online. I decided to wear my new heart monitor/calorie counting watch to the barn and started calculating while tacking up and then riding for 45 minutes. I burned 386 calories! That was doing walk/trot and canter.

So don't let anyone tell you the horse does all the work!
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I use lose it to keep track of calories and it says that "general" horseback riding for 45 minutes will burn 335 calories. What does "general" mean? I have no idea but I just track my riding under that tag because its easier than trying to figure out how long I walked, trotted, etc. I did use myfitnesspal before and I believe their numbers were close too.

I use Weight Watchers and their points earned system for horseback riding is terrible. You can choose from walking, trotting, or galloping for a certain amount of time, but who the heck keeps track of how long they did each? If I ride for a hour, I'll usually just clock about 45 min of trotting and just assume it evens out.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrunak View Post
    I use lose it to keep track of calories and it says that "general" horseback riding for 45 minutes will burn 335 calories. What does "general" mean? I have no idea but I just track my riding under that tag because its easier than trying to figure out how long I walked, trotted, etc. I did use myfitnesspal before and I believe their numbers were close too.
    Yep, me too! I really like Lose It, especially the bar code scanner, so convenient! But then it also lists, erhem, "certain" activities only burn 44 calories in 45 minutes! How do they gauge THAT?! MrB's reaction was, "yeah if you're doing it wrong..."
    *snork*
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

3 members found this post helpful.

With my HRM an hour of "general riding" - I do a bunch of walk, trot, and only a bit of canter; mare is in her 20's so more walk breaks than some would do, and nice warm-up time - is around 350. I've worn it about 15 times and it's been pretty consistent. The HRM does give total cals, not net, so that's 350 - my hourly basal rate.

When I jump tiny crossrails it goes to over 500 cals. But it's not real calorie burn, it's just my heart racing from anxiety

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Yep, me too! I really like Lose It, especially the bar code scanner, so convenient! But then it also lists, erhem, "certain" activities only burn 44 calories in 45 minutes! How do they gauge THAT?! MrB's reaction was, "yeah if you're doing it wrong..."
    *snork*
    Haha too funny! Lose It has been my favorite so far out of myfitnesspal and weight watchers. Plus it has been allowing me to eat more calories a day and I'm losing more than with the others. Because with the others I'd go over a little and be like "oh well, I went over today" and eat everything in sight.

Coanteen, if I wore a HRM I would have the same issue with jumping...

I honestly don't think riding burns more calories than walking or something else relatively non-strenuous for the same amount of time. I've been riding my whole life, and it's never helped me lose weight.

It's the no-time-eat, chasing naughty ponies and slogging through the sand arena giving lessons that burns calories.

IMO
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

then there are the three beers afterwards so it is a gain of 200 calories, damned horse

6 members found this post helpful.

I think it not only depends on the type of riding you do (1 hour of leisurely trail ride, or 1 hour Hunter Pace in the Jumping division) , but also on the horse.

My Tb mare is easy to ride. Quirky, but easy. Forward, easy to sit, comfortable, supple...etc. Doesn't take much to have her working correctly, but it's still a nice workout for me especially if I ride her bareback (core work!) or if I jump her.

My friend's WB mare, OTOH, was a true workout. Built like a 16.3h tank, opinionated, NOT naturally forward, with BIG gaits. When I rode her on the flat W/T/C, I was sweating even when it was only 20 degrees out.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Zero

I ride TWHs

3 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=clanter;7010352]then there are the three beers afterwards so it is a gain of 200 calories, damned horse[/QUOTE

So that's what I'm doing wrong
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

What I think riding does is keep what you have in place - like the glutes keep tighter, the waist stays trim a bit longer, and the joints feel less jiggly.
    The legs feel more toned, etc.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I've worn my heart rate monitor before while riding and my heart rate got up to 186 bpm! That's higher than it gets running or at the gym for me! To top it off, my horse wasn't even being naught that day!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Myfitnesspal tells me that 15 minutes of trotting burns 91 calories. I figure that's about right... ?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I've worn my HRM a few times too.

Riding my no stirrups horse usually gets me about 350-400 calories (that's for 40 minutes of work with 25 minutes of trot and 15 minutes of canter - I don't count walk time, which is minimal anyways and only occurs at the beginning/end of the ride).

Riding my other horses (with stirrups for all but 5 or 10 minutes) is usually in the 200-300 calorie range for a normal 40 minute ride (again, walk is only at the beginning/end and not counted in the time count).

Yeah, I've been using MyFitnessPal too since February and I've been very successful (pat on back)! The riding thing was too much one or the other so I often split up my listed riding time as 1/2 of it "general" and 1/2 "walking" or other... I'm also dismayed that there's no option for "stall-mucking", so I figure that's about the same as "gardening"...!?! On a side note, I've found that MyFitnessPal has made me very aware of the calories I've been consuming that I never considered. I used to drink a LOT of Coke, and snack mindlessly here and there. Removing the "mindless" and the "soda-pop" has made an amazing difference.

And BTW, 1 glass of each of the 2 wines I drink the most is 126 calories. Sometimes it's a 126 wine calorie day, and sometimes it's a "I'll just have wine for dinner" day!

Default Calories burned...

I wear an "Actigo" montior...which measure footsteps, distance etc, and calculates calories burned. I burn almost as many calories walking as riding, but it's not nearly as fun!

I find that Myfitnesspal and the Actigo are generally pretty close together. One thing that I like about the Actigo is that it puts your activites on a graph with ratings of moderate, medium and hard as far as intensity goes. I ride 2nd level dressage and all but the walk is rated as "hard". My trail rides usually show medium to hard ratings too, but then I trail ride in the mountains and we do a lot of trot and canter.

Neither activity however, comes close to the hike up and down hills when Appy decides he wants to play games about being caught. Thank goodness that doesn't happen too often!
    "It's not a mistake if you knew what you were doing was wrong."

I use my HRM every time I go to the barn. For me, roughly 100 min can be about 1300 calories burned of grooming/riding/light barn work. It very obviously depends on what I am working on, but I love seeing my calorie burn when working with the horses! It is so much more fun than going to the gym!!