The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fine-used-saddles.com

What's up with them?

I am saddle shopping (hate it) and there are a couple of saddles of this site that look interesting. However, listed phone number is disconnected. The site says email is the preferred method of contact. So I email asking for a phone call. More than a day later, I get a vague response which I follow up this another request for a phone call. That was 3 days ago, no further response.

Did I mention I hate saddle shopping

Rant over.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I just talked to her about three days ago. She returned my call within about six hours. Not sure what is up.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm, that's weird. I never tried phoning them, but I did email. I won't say they were super fast about returning the email, but they did and I got the information I needed. I have to say I've called SEVERAL tack stores/saddle sellers and have not received a call back. I guess folks just don't need the $$. I'm a serious buyer with need for 2 upper end saddles, go figure!!

nhwr, btw, I tried sending you a PM, but your box is full....

1 members found this post helpful.

I sold a saddle thru them...not the swiftest to get back to me each time I emailed, but they got the job done at a decent price and mailed payment right away.

i likw trumbull mountain for saddle shopping

Dune, I'm a dinosaur,lol. PM's should work now.

Thanks for the heads up about Trumbull Mountain, chisamba. I'll check them out too.

I just sent 2 saddles back to Pelham. They were super efficient but sadly the saddles didn't fit the princess.

Once I find the right saddle, I have a couple I need to sell. I wouldn't be very happy with a reseller who wasn't prompt getting back to prospective buyers

Quote Originally Posted by chisamba View Post
    i likw trumbull mountain for saddle shopping
    I second this. Wonderful to work with and always a prompt response.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

4 members found this post helpful.

Just got off the phone with Trumbull. I spoke to Rich, very nice and knowledgable. I am making a wither tracing and taking some pics for them.

We'll see what they suggest

I love Trumbull and Black Country saddles. I have corresponded a few times with fine used saddles. They are not always johnny on the spot but they have answered promptly at times, and 2-3 days later at other times. I am guessing it is a one or two person operation. They do have a fb page...
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

I have sold a saddle before through fine used saddles and had a positive experience.

I have another dressage saddle listed for sale with them right now...needless to say, I'm not trilled there are buyers out there trying to get in touch with Patricia without any luck... I really need my saddle to sell..ugh

I have used skylands saddlery to buy and sell saddles.with great success. Since the owner is a saddle fitter she will take consignments in the road for potential buyers and they move quite quickly. They also do ship / eBay etc.

I have not had great experiences with fine-used. They are not always responsive (as you can see) and I have found that their descriptions on the site are sometimes inaccurate. This issue is compounded by shipping rates that are higher than most. Most people I know love them so I would say that my opinion is a minority, but I would be hard-pressed to deal with them again.

She is a one person operation. I live less than 10 miles from her so I have the benefit of trying more than one saddle at a time and not paying shipping.

Sometimes she is super responsive, other times it takes a day. I think it depends how busy that particular day is for her.

Red face Been There...done that! But so glad we have these places to try from!

Numerous times I(and a few friends too) have tried saddles from Fine Used Saddles and it was all great...so this makes me sad. Hope it is just a hiccup as they do a very expert job of it.

Skylands was just ok...nice to have the fitter involved in shop- but really spotty communication....

That said... my favorite place to try/buy from is Jen at Meadows Tack...(formerly Mahtowa Meadows) as a Hennig lover she brings in only the best saddles and is very good at describing them and helping you find the right one with no stress. She is now selling a few other brands of saddles and tack as well...!

The "Holy Grail" is out there...good luck! :-)

Actually the lady that owns fine used saddles has been volunteering in Oklahoma...so that may be why she is slow to respond right now.

5 members found this post helpful.

Hi all, this is Patricia at Fine Used Saddles. Someone pointed me to this thread and I'm quite concerned, naturally. I had someone else report not being able to get through on the phone a week or two ago but I thought it was a fluke or momentary glitch.

Has anyone else had this problem? Was there an AT&T robot message? Did you not get voice mail? Did it just ring and ring? We've been getting a pretty steady flow of normal phone calls, still.

I'm also concerned about some intermittent technical difficulties with email. I've still been getting 50+ emails per day, but I've had a few clients report sending consignment applications that we haven't received. I can understand how if someone sent a question and didn't hear back from us because we didn't get it, that we might just never know.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of things, and I'm so sorry for any inconveniences. We work hard and this is a two-person Monday through Friday operation, to answer that question. Sometimes one email or message out of many will fall through the cracks somehow and after the weekends it may take me a couple of days to catch up with the email flow. However, I'm concerned there is something going on not due to failure on my part, personally.

Please PM me if you like. We want to get whatever is going diagnosed and fixed ASAP. I've answered 2 calls whilst typing this response. It's hard to know if something is wrong if I'm not told directly. Things seem normal on this end.

Thanks so much in advance for any light shed on these issues.

Many thanks,

Patricia Cooper
    Fine Used Saddles

5 members found this post helpful.

And just another note about shipping costs... we always ship with insurance and that can add a cost just as expensive as freight itself. I think others are just risking it. Our policy is not to do that, in order to ensure the safety of the high end saddles we are custodian of until sold.

I've heard nothing but good about Patricia and Fine Used Saddles. I know how hard it is to be a one-person show, and the fact that she's concerned enough to follow up on this tells me a LOT about her commitment to her business and her customers.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFa11 View Post
    And just another note about shipping costs... we always ship with insurance and that can add a cost just as expensive as freight itself. I think others are just risking it. Our policy is not to do that, in order to ensure the safety of the high end saddles we are custodian of until sold.
    I'm in Canada & your shipping fees were spot on - I couldn't ship any cheaper!
    I also cannot imagine shipping saddles without insurance

Most US dealers/shops I spoke with would not even consider sending a saddle to Canada unless it was a final sale!