The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Not recently. No.
    We were at the same GVEC mini-seminar (scoop on poop) those years ago and I did not realize it until you posted about it on here, afterwards.

Yep, I remember that and I also remember you and hubbby bringing a jug of Oslo's urine out to help dissuade the foxes from digging up a horse in my back pasture.

Sideline: Only on COTH.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

4 members found this post helpful.

As far as the lessee, I had not heard from her since Thursday when I told her the horse was being picked up. I made the mistake of emailing her Saturday, simply and calmly asking for an explanation. She told me she had no idea what I was talking about, she didn't understand, that the horse was fine when she left, she hadn't noticed her poor condition, that she had done everything I had told her to do.

Her name isn't MJ is it?

I am glad things are going in the right direction

Ultimately this may be a huge life lesson for your daughter that pays out a big reward in the end. Sometimes the best lesson is the hands on one. I hope you make a strong point to capture a lot of photos and allow your daughter to take credit for her love and devotion. Perhaps she can start a journal about their journey together.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

2 members found this post helpful.

trubandloki, Hm, Dang, now I wonder who that was. Dang, it's a bwitch getting old......
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Flash, how is your mare doing?

yes, I have been thinking of you..., did she move to your friend's as planned on Wed.?

Thanks for asking. I thought I had updated yesterday, but it seems my post was eaten by cyberspace!

She is doing well. She is still very skinny, obviously, but just getting rehydrated has made a huge difference. She's had a bath, lots of gentle grooming, loads of TLC. She is getting 4 meals a day of TC Senior and as much hay as she will eat, also short periods out on grass.

Wednesday she moved to my friend's place, which will hopefully be her last move for a very long time. She was reunited with a TB mare that used to be her BFF when my friend and I boarded together a few years ago. I *swear* they remember each other! My friend is a vet tech and her and her boyfriend have the most lovely farm. It is, truly, the ideal living situation for Fancy!

Can't say enough about my trainer, who went above in beyond, and for the many friends who have offered everything from legal help to hay to a place for Fancy to live. What happened to Fancy was absolutely shocking and it really made me re-consider my involvement in horses.... but the kindness and generosity that has come from so many the last few weeks has renewed my faith.

So, she seems to be on the upswing. She's put a little weight on, her fecal wasn't too bad, and my friend is running another blood panel. She's slowly dropping the winter coat she had been clinging too, and her face/eye is finally looking more like the Fancy I know and love.

When I have a few minutes later today I will upload some new pics.

Thanks again for all the good vibes, they surely have helped!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

20 members found this post helpful.

Glad to read the update. Looking forward to seeing more pics. You'll be surprised that in about 3 months, you won't recognize her as the same skinny girl that your trainer picked up a couple of wks ago.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Glad to hear the update!! She's very lucky to have a horsey mom like you
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yay! I was thinking about this today and am glad to hear such a good update.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm so sorry this happened. Continued jingles. Glad you realized that dehydration was more of a problem than actual malnutrition -- SO MANY people think "food, food, food" when what the body NEEDS is "water, water, water." Feed takes water from the body to digest and makes dehydration worse.

Listen to those guts, people, those 'feelings." Often, they are us recognizing problems when bits of information are presented that don't register on a conscious level. The book "Gift of Fear" talks about this recognition of danger.

1 members found this post helpful.

Great update. Slow and steady is certainly the way to go, and a great living situation, and the loving care she's receiving from you and your friends is the best medicine. I love hoopoe's idea about a journal project for you and your daughter. A few months from now Fancy will look wonderful, and be happy. Thank heavens you listened to the voice in your head and acted to rescue her.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I've been wondering for some time if this is another of tr's incarnations, like barka, or if it's someone entirely different who just joined to troll. The vast majority of this poster's comments are similarly nonsensical and, unlike some "past lives" not remotely funny. *shrugs*

I don't know who tidy wabbit is. I'm putting in a request to have my user account name changed to avoid any further confusion with this imposter. So, I guess they win.
    Last edited by tidy rabbit; Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I don't know who tidy wabbit is. I'm putting in a request to have my user account name changed to avoid any further confusion with this imposter. So, I guess they win.
    That sucks.

Oh, good. I mean, not good that you have to change your user name, but I was really confused when I thought tw was you. As for tw - what bizarre behavior.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I wasn't paying close attention to the name, and when I saw that post I was thoroughly confused, because it most certainly didn't jive with the impression I've gotten from you over the years. And like you, I'm sorry they won.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I had the exact same thing happen in about the same period of time. Beautiful farm, knowledgeable person who should have known better -- simply did not follow feeding directions and did not notice at all the massive weight loss. It's the one time I had to repo a horse. Fortunately she made a complete recovery and I'm sure yours will too. I made my contract much more explicit with regard to feeding, what is acceptable condition, etc. after that.

Default Flash, how about an update

How is Fancy doing? Anxious to hear about her.
    Sue

I'm so glad she's doing better!

I've been at the same barn for 20 years because of two very bad experiences at other barns after my friend, who we bought the horses from, moved to Aiken. A group of us went to a gorgeous little private farm which unfortunately turned out to have a terrible barn owner. He had two women helpers who came to do stalls and feed a few days a week. It turned out those were the only days the horses got fed - a ton. I was suspicious so one day after school, my dad and I went up (just happened to be an ice storm) because I was worried. I found all the horses standing in freezing rain, shivering, no blankets, no shelter, in a foot of mud. My 2 mares' tails were a chunk of ice. I brought them in, and found 2 gallons of grain in the buckets. His one job was to let the horses in to eat and he didn't do it. The helpers never looked in the feed tubs (seriously!) and just kept dumping more grain in. 3 of the 4 horses there foundered - one of mine badly - because apparently this happened quite often. My dad got the trailer that day and we left, but the damage was done.

One other time, I boarded about 2 miles from home and would check everyday. No water most days, bucket empty and dry, and nothing but excuses about why. The BO hated my horse because she wouldn't come to people who screamed at her so she became increasingly difficult to catch. I gave my 30 days and the BO told me he wouldn't let me leave and threatened to not let the trailer down the driveway. I went with a friend while he was sleeping off a drinking binge (an every day occurrence I found out after I put my horse there), threw all my tack in the back of my truck and got my horse out of there.
    I am never leaving the place I am now unless I can get my own farm.
    You are what you dare.

Hey guys, I posted an update here last night:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...re-a-month-out
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.