The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

I'm sure glad my kids were asleep when I opened the photos - I yelled HOLY F ----- (and I don't usually curse)

The BO and the lessee not being there when the trainer picked up the horse was probably a good thing, I would have come unglued!!!

I am so glad you got her back and getting her on the road to recovery.

You are not to blame and don't need to explain to anyone - many people lease their horses out. This woman lied to you and is in a major way in denial of life. I call BS on the fact she doesn't understand the horse is on the brink of death.

You are doing the right thing by going after them for vet costs but don't be surprised since she cannot feed a horse she will not be paying any of your vet bills.

But the point here is MAKE HER LIFE A LIVING HELL for what she did to your horse.

I usually don't support revenge - heard a funny saying on a web site for fans of the movie Princess Bride

"Stay out of the revenge business - there's no money in it".

But something does need to be done so this woman will not be able to hurt another horse.

(((HUGS))) to you for all you have gone through and thank God your mare is alive and back in your care.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was just alerted to this thread, and just read it. OMG, poor Fancy and Flash -- no words can express my condolences enough. The deterioration in 8 weeks is shocking and sickening. But Flash has done everything right, and the mare is now at a wonderful barn, and she will pull through.
    Flash has discretely let some people know the identity, including those in a position to warn trainers at Finger Lakes. Unfortunately, the list of people they need to be warned about keeps growing. I spent many years sheltered in the high falutin top of the H/J world, where I saw nothing but fat and pampered horses. Now that I am involved in helping to find homes for OTTBs, including checking on some of those homes and trolling Craig's List, my naive happy blinders are completely off and I am stunned at how many crazy people exist who take horses thinking they are saving them and then starve them. We intervened at the end of January in the situation that Majolie and Fouondationmare referred to in earlier posts on this thread, and in just 6 weeks off the track those horses looked almost as bad as Fancy. But thankfully they all look great in their new good homes, so I have great hope for Fancy, too.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Here's a possibility, although I can't believe it, that she's one of those that sees feed left behind and thinks it's wasteful, so she reduces portions until they clean up every last stem of straw. I know my DH's perception of feed consumption is skewed by watching how the pigs eat. But no, that's just insane. Sounds like she just didn't get over there to feed at all. Really, this is criminal neglect and you have a case.
    My last BO would tell me my (very skinny) horse didn't need more food because he had some left behind. Yes, absolutely he had some thick stalks of hay left over that was trampled into the ground, however I don't consider that FOOD left behind. Her refusal to feed my horse more and denial that he was skinny (he packed on 100# right away after we moved) was the last straw.

FG, that's horrible about your horse! Ugh. I hope AC takes serious action against her

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    I am going on a cruise in the French Polynesian Islands for two weeks in September.

Obviously I will be unable to check in on the boarding barn during that time, so my horses are enjoying their last few months before I have to shoot them.
    Snort!

If all that money I spend on board doesn't at least buy me the luxury of sleeping in and going on vacations, then... ...what's the point?

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. Just wow. Your poor girl.

I hope to h3ll she doesn't founder from those a$$holes putting her on lush green grass. Has she had any symptoms yet?

Jingles for your girl Fancy.

WOW! I was not expecting to see her like that in the after pictures. Unbelievable. It looks like she was starved the entire time she was there - for her to loose THAT much weight & muscle in 8 weeks? Wow.

Glad she's home safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    My last BO would tell me my (very skinny) horse didn't need more food because he had some left behind. Yes, absolutely he had some thick stalks of hay left over that was trampled into the ground, however I don't consider that FOOD left behind. Her refusal to feed my horse more and denial that he was skinny (he packed on 100# right away after we moved) was the last straw.

FG, that's horrible about your horse! Ugh. I hope AC takes serious action against her
    Seen that happen before. Some people just can't get into their thick skulls that just because it comes in a bale, does not mean that it has actual food value or is edible. You should see some of the sh!t hay that gets sold for horses at auctions, and people buy it whether or not there is a hay shortage. Then they wonder why horses get sick.

and my BO is asking all of us to get grazing muzzles for our beasts because they are getting too fat on grass alone!! And they are...
    I count my lucky stars every day that I met this person 10 years ago...
    FG, your mare will bounce back and I hope you do too!
    I am thinking of those poor horses still there and hope AC can do something for them,.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    MSJ, I should have thought to contact some of you Rochester peeps to drop in on her these last few weeks when I started to have an inkling that something was going wrong.
    This person is in the Rochester area???? Please PM to let me know where... Glad that you were able to retrieve your mare before it was too late.

O...MG.
    When I read the first part of the post I was expecting to see a horse a little underweight and give the "Calm down, some people aren't good at feeding TBs so try not to be too upset with them, she'll pick it back up...blah blah blah". Then I saw the pictures.
    Holeeeee crap.
    I am so sorry this happened to you and your mare. I can't wrap my head around how or why this happened. I hope your legal action is successful; the BO and leasee should not have horses!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's so wrong. I sent my horse out for training, BO decided not to feed him....because I had dated the trainer(her boyfriend) 4 years prior.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Flash, I drove by there late morning and the horses did appear to be out on pasture but they were too far away (maybe 500' or more) to see if they were really as emaciated as your girl, at least with my vision anyway.

I'm guessing the house that went with barn is not the Victorian that someone seems to be trying to restore. Seems there is a house with a driveway that goes up into a few bushes. I couldn't really slow down to look (50 mph speed limit) cause of cars following me. I do plan to try to get back over that way either Mon or Wed and can probably take a better look. Traffic during the day on a wk day shouldn't be as bad as today.
    Sue

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid.
    I thought you already knew.

Sue, THANK YOU for taking a drive by there. I wish I had thought to contact you sooner about this.

Not surprising the horses are now out. They knew we were angry and my vet said, they will likely start feeding/watering now, for awhile..... That is why she had me contact the authorities ASAP upon Fancy's return home.

I have a friend who lives in the area and he is well connected with politicians/lawyers/law enforcement and he said he will do what he can to see that this is addressed.

The lessee, it appears, is definitely not of right mind.... we are still trying to figure out how to handle her specifically. But as far as the barn owners, they SHOULD NOT be boarding horses, in my opinion.

Again, shocking to me how so many people turned a blind eye to this situation.

My husband and kids came with me to the barn tonight to check on her. She so loves my little people! She is still looking relaxed and comfortable. She's not eating her hay as vigorously as I'd like, but hopefully her appetite picks up. She is happy to hand graze, and she is getting very small amounts of TC Senior now too. She is still drinking a lot, and we had to take the salt lick away because she was eating it.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

4 members found this post helpful.

So very sorry that you have to go through this. Sometimes even going about something the right way can end up poorly. I'm very glad you didn't run into any problems getting her back.
    I made a bad decision once about a boarding situation. I also got that nagging feeling that something wasn't right and gave my notice. I was going to wait until the end of the month to leave but something still wasn't sitting right with me. I ended up taking off from work one day to show up in the middle of the day when I wouldn't be expected. I found my horse locked in a urine-filled stall in the middle of the day, with no shavings, no food and almost no water. What water there was was disgusting. There wasn't a single bale of hay on the property, only the round bales they put in the turnout. The owner was no where to be found. I called my friend who had a trailer, called my friend who I was going to be boarding with at the end of the month and told her I was coming early, and got the heck out of there. This barn was only an hour away from my house, but most weekdays I couldn't be there, so I usually only showed up on weekends. I found out later on they are known for making everything look nice on the weekends, but completely slacking on care during the week.

Again I am very, very glad you have her back. Thank God you knew to listen to that little voice....

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Sue, THANK YOU for taking a drive by there. I wish I had thought to contact you sooner about this.

Not surprising the horses are now out. They knew we were angry and my vet said, they will likely start feeding/watering now, for awhile..... That is why she had me contact the authorities ASAP upon Fancy's return home.

I have a friend who lives in the area and he is well connected with politicians/lawyers/law enforcement and he said he will do what he can to see that this is addressed.

The lessee, it appears, is definitely not of right mind.... we are still trying to figure out how to handle her specifically. But as far as the barn owners, they SHOULD NOT be boarding horses, in my opinion.

Again, shocking to me how so many people turned a blind eye to this situation.

My husband and kids came with me to the barn tonight to check on her. She so loves my little people! She is still looking relaxed and comfortable. She's not eating her hay as vigorously as I'd like, but hopefully her appetite picks up. She is happy to hand graze, and she is getting very small amounts of TC Senior now too. She is still drinking a lot, and we had to take the salt lick away because she was eating it.
    You might want to see about getting a mineral supplement. I use the Buckeye products if you can get them in your area. Sounds like she is craving some minerals.

"Little people" that's so cute. I have little people and my horses love them too - my horses think little people should always have treats.

Please keep us posted on your beautiful girls progress
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Isn't it interesting how she's happy seeing her old family.

As mentioned previously, we also left our last barn when my guy was losing weight. BO's 1st "hay ration" proclamation, "my friend told me what the horse eats within the first hour is enough". (Oh, so do they do that in the wild?!? Look! The sun has moved so far - time to stop! ) Next proclamation was that he could go in the mud pen and share a bale and a half a day with her 2 new skinny acquisitions (by the way, from Rochester...). This with an "all the hay he needs" contract.

But as yours is happy to see her kids, my guy, in addition to more hay, is thrilled to have a new barn full of admirers. Owners just lovin' on their horses, and feeling the same towards him. Ex BO was telling me how spoiled my horse was. (No he just received individual attention, rather than be one of the herd that could be bragged about to her friends "back in CT". Well, yes, it is cheaper up here. But doesn't mean you go out and acquire more and more, because that makes you a better horse person. )

He loves being in a barn where they're so well cared for and appreciated. Does make a difference, doesn't it?!?
    But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Echoing the sentiments that you should not blame yourself. You did an enormous amount of due diligence and you listened to your gut when you felt that something was wrong - that is *huge*. People often have so much going in on their lives at once - work, kids, bills - that sometimes they don't have time to pay attention to feelings that something is not quite right. It happens to everyone.

I do not understand what in the world could be wrong with that woman. The fact that she invested all that time into making herself seem normal on the front end, keeping up a front for a while, and then having the absolute effing nerve to ask if she can keep her if she starts feeding her......it just defies reason. Clearly she has no conscience when it comes to animals, but I think she also must have gotten some sick gratification from making you feel horrible. She had to know based on the conversations, contracts, checking up, etc...that you were extremely invested in the horse's health. So to put up such a charade seems like she really wanted you to suffer as well. It is just sick.

Quote Originally Posted by twostinkydogs View Post
    I do not understand what in the world could be wrong with that woman. The fact that she invested all that time into making herself seem normal on the front end, keeping up a front for a while, and then having the absolute effing nerve to ask if she can keep her if she starts feeding her......it just defies reason. Clearly she has no conscience when it comes to animals, but I think she also must have gotten some sick gratification from making you feel horrible. She had to know based on the conversations, contracts, checking up, etc...that you were extremely invested in the horse's health. So to put up such a charade seems like she really wanted you to suffer as well. It is just sick.
    This is what freaks me out the most, and something that has hit me hard in the last few days and things have transpired and I've learned just how "off" the lessee really is.

As one of my friends told me today... the horse lives in the moment. She only knows that NOW she is home, with her family, eating hay and drinking water, happy and comfortable. What happened, is now in the past.

Still, it is hard for me to let go of, and I think it is going to take me a lot of time to move past.

CVPeg, I am so very glad you have found a good place for you guy, too! Please keep me posted on your adventures this summer. Wishing you all the best my friend!

PS-- I've had a lot of PMs.... I am a little behind on responding. I apologize. Now that Fancy is stable and the stomach flu is done ravaging our house, I will catch up on them again.

Thank you to all for the many responses, good wishes, thoughts, jingles, positive vibes. They have gotten me through the last few days and they must be helping Fancy too as she seems to be hanging in there.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your girl and for you...don't be so hard on yourself! You did WAY more than most folks when it comes to finding suitable situations for horses.

Down here, prior to debit cards, folks wrote lots of checks. Checks that came back to stores were prominently posted somewhere near the check out lines/registers. It would be great if there were some way you could post before/after photos of your mare in a way that wouldn't get YOU in trouble but would warn unsuspecting horse owners of what they might expect in the way of care at a certain stable...or at least warn them to stay on top of their horse's care when the animal is not "with" them.

Again, so sorry...