The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bucas sizing, can anyone give me an idea in comparison to other brands.

Hello, I'm planning on buying one of those zebra print Bucas fly sheets (lol), but I'm not familiar with Bucas sizing.

Horse wears a 78 in Weatherbeeta, 81 in Amigo/Rambo, what should I be getting in the Bucas?
    Anyone has those blankets for comparison?

Thanks so much .

I have only had the Bucas Power turnout. I did not like it. My horse usually takes a 78 but the Bucas was too long in the body and too narrow across the shoulders. I should mention this 16.1 TB has a very broad front end.

I have the silver Bucas fly sheets and some Power turnouts. I don't know if the cut and fit of the zebra one is the same. But for me, horses wore same Bucas size as their Rambos. So the 81 Rambo guy (where his Rambo fits well in front, but a little long in length to tail) is in an 81 Bucas fly sheet and Power rug. The one that is 75 in Rambo when fit and 78 when fat (!) is in a 75 Bucas fly sheet (stretchy so even fat, he fits!). I'm thinking about trying the zebra fly sheet myself, so would be interested in hearing how the sizing is too.

My horse wears an 81" in Weatherbeetas, an 80" in the Dover brand (Riders?), a 78" in Rambos and Rhinos, an 80" in Centaurs, and his Bucas is an 80" or 81" (can't remember if it's in 2" or 3" increments...either way, it's not a 78" or 82"). After reading that, I realize what a "clothes horse" he is...
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Well I bought the 81 and it's a perfect fit. It is indeed a little narrow thru the shoulders, but he's quite a slim fella, so it works well.
    So far so good, day 2, the zebra is out grazing unbothered and the ones with Rambo Bug rugs are hiding in the run-in shed, lol.
    It doesn't seem to make a difference in small stableflies, but the horseflies appear to leave him in peace (at present).

Too tight and constricting for warmbloods. Don't cover the belly, and don't fit in the shoulders. Horses look like little kids all bundled up in jackets in winter. And move about as well as those kids. Both the rugs and the sun shower sheets are not a good fit if your horse has a wide chest, big shoulders, and the barrel of a WB. And the leg straps end up giving wedgies. Plus the rugs and sheets do not stay straight on the horse. Which is why the leg straps end up awry

Which is why we passed on the zebra outfit. After all, the zebras in Africa are beset by bugs. And they are wearing well-fitting outfits.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bucas sheets are not big enough for my horse's shoulders. Rambos fit perfectly.

My very rotund warmblood with the huge shoulders, that is in an XW hoop tree saddle, wears his Bucas fly sheet well. Fits shoulders great and the belly part has elastic so it expands for his chubby belly. I wonder if the zebra fly sheet is cut the same? Does it have the square chest piece that makes it wider? That's how my silver Bucas fly sheets are cut.

Someone mentioned the sun shower, and it is cut very different from, say, the power rug. The poweer rugs have the square chest piece and fit warmbloods well IME. The sun shower is not the same in front, fits narrower, and did not work well on my wide or big shouldered WBs.

I might have to try the zebra sheet just for fun. On my retired horse, next to a fairly busy road, that might be entertaining!

My friend and I both bought Bucas sheets last summer and could not get a size to fit. We returned them, did not like them. If you're set on getting one I would say buy a size smaller than usual. But I'd make sure it can be returned, they're a pretty weird fit!