The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Those are great explanations Renae. On the question of turnout, it can also depend on how long of a foot the horse has. There is a saying that 'the good ones travel light' meaning the truly gifted with ability to lift their legs and flex appropriately on all joints (hocks, knees and fetlocks particularly) do not need much weight or length of foot. A horse with a light shoe and not overly long foot could be turned out, but most people (owners and trainers) just would not risk it during show season.

Some horses wind up with overly long feet, IMO sometimes owners just try to save on the cost of show shoes by waiting overly long between resets. So, if the horse has a really long foot, or heavy shoe, those horses definitely would be at risk of pulling a shoe or injuring a foot or tendon by being rambunctious in turnout.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

thank you all for the thorough replies! everything you've said makes sense with what we saw that day. i will send my friend i was with to this thread so she can learn about it too.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

There is also a different mindset showing in the ASB ring. I was always taught to ride through the straightaway and stop on a corner, not pull up in the middle of a (hopefully) good pass if new gait was called. There is generally a difference in how smaller and larger shows are judged. At the Devon level, the judges don't expect riders to stop on a dime when a walk is called.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    There is also a different mindset showing in the ASB ring. I was always taught to ride through the straightaway and stop on a corner, not pull up in the middle of a (hopefully) good pass if new gait was called. There is generally a difference in how smaller and larger shows are judged. At the Devon level, the judges don't expect riders to stop on a dime when a walk is called.
    agree: You always want to get in as many good passes as you can!

BUT, I was always taught that walk meant a flat footed walk (once you trot past the judge), no jigging, even in performance class. I remember my trainer scolding her daughter in a lesson: "that's why you didn't win the class at XXX, you jigged right by the judge" (no, she wasn't showing equitation)

that was in 1986.
    Last edited by Hippolyta; Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    agree: You always want to get in as many good passes as you can!

BUT, I was always taught that walk meant a flat footed walk (once you trot past the judge), no jigging, even in performance class. I remember my trainer scolding her daughter in a lesson: "that's why you didn't win the class at XXX, you jigged right by the judge" (no, she wasn't showing equitation)

that was in 1986.
    Performance classes are supposed to do an animated walk. The rulebook definition of an animated walk:
    2. ANIMATED WALK: The animated walk is a highly collected gait, exhibiting much “primp” at a slow, regulated speed, with good action and animation. It should have snap and easy control. It can be either a two beat or four beat gait. It is performed with great style, elegance and airiness of motion.
    Also Devon, while steeped in history and a wonderful place to show, is only a regional level show in the Saddlebred world. Midwest Charity Horse Show coming up this week is a national level show, there will be a webcast, and video clips for previous national level Saddlebred shows are on the USEF Network site, such as last year's Ladies' Three Gaited Championship at Louisville http://www.usefnetwork.com/featured/...7j0wmYVA001mVu

2 members found this post helpful.

animated does not mean jig. It means WALK>

What do you think an animated 2 beat 'walk" is going to look like?

If it's that annoying, petition to have the rulebook changed.

2. ANIMATED WALK: The animated walk is a highly collected gait, exhibiting much “primp” at a slow, regulated speed, with good action and animation. It should have snap and easy control. It can be either a two beat or four beat gait. It is performed with great style, elegance and airiness of motion.

VERY different than a flat walk

When my horse does a true, correct, "animated walk", the tempo is quite slow and could never be mistaken for either a jig or a trot. You could almost say it is relaxed. Sort of like what any horse will do when coming down from a rip snorter with their tail over their back in the pasture. Lots of hang time. Its a REAL pleasure to ride.

Wow. Lookedat the video Renae posted, boy did I call that wrong! But the black Periaptor mare was stunning as was the First Night Out gelding rider in teal coat. Totally OT, but I enjoyed watching the class!

Great thread. I was surprised they still have Ladies Classes. I watched the 3 gaited video and noticed that the riders often posted on the inside leg. I rode hunters/equitation and was taught to post on the outside leg. So with saddlebreds it doesn't matter?

I think I'm too chicken to ride those show horses.
    Last edited by Malda; Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

It matters in the pleasure & equitation classes, but not the open/ladies'/gentlemen's classes. If they move better posting on the inside leg, that's what you do. Surprisingly enough, a lot of those horse are basically dead broke, despite the wild look. They know exactly what to do & how to look and when to do it. Their trot still might throw you out of the saddle though.

9 times out of 10, the photographer takes a photo with the horse's far front leg (rail leg) at the top of the stride. This makes the horse's front end look bigger and the neck longer. Post with the outside diagonal, and you will have your fanny in the air when the photo is taken. Riders look much nicer seated. You have NO idea how important those show photos are!

Found this on FB and thought you would all enjoy...
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...23168518_n.jpg

4 members found this post helpful.

I wasn't able to watch the Midwest Charity show live stream but I was able to see some winner highlights at the Saddle Horse Report website.

:: drool ::

I'm still holding out hope for a 5 gaited to go along with Drummer.
    :: crosses fingers ::
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique