The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Engraved bridle plates

Apologies, If this is in the wrong place. My 18th birthday is coming up and I would really like to get a bridle with and engraved plate on the crown. Do you know anywhere that sells a bridle with engraved plates for a reasonable amount of money that will ship to the uk?

Thank you.

Have you checked out SmartPak or Dover Saddlery? Both offer engraved plates, but I'm not sure about their shipping options to the UK.

Sorry, are you asking for a bridle that is sold with a plate already affixed? If so, no. I have always purchased plates at my local tack store because they put them on no charge.

I have checked Dover and Smart Pak, they sell plates but I don't know if they would put them on a bridle for me. It's worth trying though.

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear. I was hoping to buy a bridle with a plate already on it as I have no idea how I would do it myself and none of the tack stores over here seem to offer this kind of service.

You could call SmartPak, they are exceedingly helpful.

I'll contact them tomorrow and see what they say.

I found a perfect bridle on smart pak and they do put the plate on as an added extra. Unfortunately they do not do international shipping! I'll have to contact my aunty in CA and see if I can get it sent to her and then get her to send it to me.

Just an idea, a girl at my barn has an Edgewood bridle that has her horse's name laser engraved in it!She bought it through Smartpak as well. I thought it was such an awesome feature because plates always find a way to fall off. I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy an Edgewood to get it done, lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilsel View Post
    Just an idea, a girl at my barn has an Edgewood bridle that has her horse's name laser engraved in it!She bought it through Smartpak as well. I thought it was such an awesome feature because plates always find a way to fall off. I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy an Edgewood to get it done, lol.
    That sounds like a cool idea! Do you know if the engraving was done at SmartPak when she got the bridle or if she had it done elsewhere after she bought the bridle?

If you do get the engraved plate, have it put on so it is off center -- behind one ear. If the plate is put on the center of the headstall, it will crack or come off because, when the bridle is hung on a tack cleaning hook, the leather bends sharply at that point. [The alternative is to not hang the bridle over one hook. Always use a rounded bridle hook if the plate is in the center of the crown.]
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    If you do get the engraved plate, have it put on so it is off center -- behind one ear. If the plate is put on the center of the headstall, it will crack or come off because, when the bridle is hung on a tack cleaning hook, the leather bends sharply at that point. [The alternative is to not hang the bridle over one hook. Always use a rounded bridle hook if the plate is in the center of the crown.]
    Except when the plate is off center like that it can make a very distracting glare on show ring photos whereas you don't see it when it's dead center. I just make sure to only hang my bridles on a round bridle hook. The laser engraving is also a good idea.

Mine is off center and looks sharp in the ring. Matches my saddle plate. My mare just did young hunters at Devon and 2 old school trainers complimented it.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies