The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anything in this hoof pic concern you?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps14a6efe0.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ps6731a31f.jpg

No lameness. Horse was pulled off summer grass last August or so to move to private barn so feed changed from grass to hay.
    Someone said something the other day, wondering if anyone else thinks the same.
    Kerri

To my uneducated eye, it looks pretty good to me.

Is it the rings that got a comment? My mare has them too. She tied up about the same time that the spring grass came in, but she's EPSM-ish and weird anyway. My farrier said that since she's been fine since then, it's nothing to worry about. I am afraid others will judge me for it though!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Change of feed will make lines on the hoof. Also if horse got sick, other things changed, can cause hoof lines.

The lighter color line is probably the grass to hay change, just growing down. Line is nice and pretty straight around hoof, equal distance from the coronary band, so he is traveling level!

If he was changed back to grass this spring, he will have another line/lump showing in his growth pretty soon. Going onto grass seems to make a more prominent line, almost a bump, on our horses hooves.

I am not seeing anything to worry me.

They can be referred to as event rings.... I have had horses get these some time after vaccines.

Maybe the spring grass? I bet someone mentioned founder rings. The only real way to tell is via xrays.

The hoof can indicate changes but if the horse wasn't lame if it were me I wouldn't be too concerned; however; if you are concerned you should talk to your vet.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

You are all echoing my thoughts- so I'm good with it. I think he's got great little feet, never had an issue. I assumed the lighter line was from the grass to hay change when I moved him home. Someone recently saw his feet and said 'Ohhhh when did he founder?' Ummm, he never has....'Oh yes he has"....I know there is such a creature as a founder ring, I've never had to deal hands on with a foundered horse but have seen/read etc about it...I didn't really think anything about his hooves other than that line was from the feed change. But I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something glaring to others...He is a morgan and he does get chubby on grass but has never had an issue. My mind is back at rest, thanks!
    Kerri

Yeah, those are mild rings just reflecting the lifestyle/diet change. You are correct to be unconcerned
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.