The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has Your Dog Been In A Commercial?

I have been contacted by someone about the possibility of using two of my dogs in making a TV commercial. He said the dogs must be well-mannered, and must sit next to an actor who is sitting in a chair. He said I would never be more than 20 feet away.

Has anyone had any experience with having their dog in a commercial? What was it like, would you do it again?

Mine have a pretty good sit stay, but have never been in that kind of situation. I just wondered what it might be like. I wouldn't want them stressed out.

I haven't but a couple of my friends have had their dogs used. IIRC, they both said it was fun and they made a little money. One woman's dog was even in a Barney video. Her dog was a dachshund and I think the video was to "Get Along Little Dogies". The other woman had a long haired dachshund who did a lot of still ads for JC Penney. He was featured in some posters in the store, the catalog, and some newspaper ads. Both said their dogs had to have a decent obedience background and unflappable temperments.

1 members found this post helpful.

Pimp 'em out!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Time for Fido to earn his kibble! Every day when I leave for work and close the gate behind me, I tell the dogs, " Off to earn your daily bread!". It would be nice if they earned a bit of it themselves.

StG

I'd just wonder how/why they contacted you if they are a legit production company--is this just a local business or something? Normally they'd go for an animal trainer who has dogs that do that sort of thing, not randomly approach dog owners. Unless you have show dogs or agility or something and they saw them there?

danceronice - Houndhill has Irish Wolfhounds, a pretty special breed. Probably not many commercial trainers have a pair sitting around waiting for a call. And if they're like most sighthounds, probably normally not to great in TV-type obedience.

StG

Apparently the production guy called my friends in SC who are currently on the IWCA Board and website, who ratted me out as possibly having hounds who might be well mannered and could conceivably do a sit stay.

It is a national soft drink commercial.

I have yet to hear if my dogs were selected by the director. I could not come up with a photograph of them sitting, just standing and one lying down.

2 members found this post helpful.

No commercials, but my dog is getting her picture taken for a calender on Saturday. Hope they use your dogs.

My husband is a video photojournalist and we are on the local news all the time. Our son, dogs, myself and my husband are in quick clips, so no real sitting around. For example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRerhp6oH0E

In this story, my hand is @ 0:29, my husband @ 0:32, my house, dog and husbands legs @ 0:47 and lastly our nice and her boyfriend starting @ 1:51.

It's always funny I get people at work saying to me all the time " I saw a dog that looks just like yours on the news last night!" I think it's fun to watch their expressions when I tell them it is my dog!

Lisa

Default Yes. Our wonderful Miles was.

Miles was a gorgeous, whip smart, Pembroke who was in many of the commercials for our business. Since his command to "speak" was "Tell 'em", the tag line on all of the commercials he "starred" in was "Tell 'em Miles!" and he'd look at the camera and bark. My next line was "Miles says "bring treats" People who had no intention or need for our service came in with children, just to "see Miles" who was happy to have his little fan club. As he aged, he cared only to come until lunch, then he simply stared at "Dad", while standing near the door, which meant, "it's time for my nap, the children are annoying, I've had my (insert food here, his favorite was pizza, which he learned how to s p e l l) get me out of here and take me home. Really.

His most popular commercial came about like this. The cameraman, asked if I could get Miles to sit by a sign with our logo on it. Sure, no problem. Can you get him to bark on cue? Absolutely. Can you get him to bark on cue for 30 seconds? Probably. Can you get him to bark on cue for 30 seconds WITHOUT USING ANY VERBAL CUES? Well, yes. Miles reads lips. What? Miles reads lips. I say "woof" he barks. I say it softer, he still barks, I mouth the word "woof" and he still barks. The end result was 30 seconds of our lovely, animated Miles, barking with subtitles (every else is busy so I thought I'd help out, etc etc). Several people who owned JRTs called begging me to take it off because it drove their dogs nuts, even if they turned the sound down. I guess JRTs can read lips too.

It's been a little over a year since we lost him, every once in a while someone will come in and ask "where's Miles?" It still stings, and it's only just last week that I put one of his old commercials back on, a "congratulations graduates, stay safe summer" commercial with Miles and I and a bunch of kids.

I'd say if your dogs have a good stay, and if not, if you can be sure they'll just get up and walk over to you, go for it. You'll have a lot of fun. And have some really good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Miles was a gorgeous, whip smart, Pembroke who was in many of the commercials for our business. Since his command to "speak" was "Tell 'em", the tag line on all of the commercials he "starred" in was "Tell 'em Miles!" and he'd look at the camera and bark. My next line was "Miles says "bring treats" People who had no intention or need for our service came in with children, just to "see Miles" who was happy to have his little fan club. As he aged, he cared only to come until lunch, then he simply stared at "Dad", while standing near the door, which meant, "it's time for my nap, the children are annoying, I've had my (insert food here, his favorite was pizza, which he learned how to s p e l l) get me out of here and take me home. Really.

His most popular commercial came about like this. The cameraman, asked if I could get Miles to sit by a sign with our logo on it. Sure, no problem. Can you get him to bark on cue? Absolutely. Can you get him to bark on cue for 30 seconds? Probably. Can you get him to bark on cue for 30 seconds WITHOUT USING ANY VERBAL CUES? Well, yes. Miles reads lips. What? Miles reads lips. I say "woof" he barks. I say it softer, he still barks, I mouth the word "woof" and he still barks. The end result was 30 seconds of our lovely, animated Miles, barking with subtitles (every else is busy so I thought I'd help out, etc etc). Several people who owned JRTs called begging me to take it off because it drove their dogs nuts, even if they turned the sound down. I guess JRTs can read lips too.

It's been a little over a year since we lost him, every once in a while someone will come in and ask "where's Miles?" It still stings, and it's only just last week that I put one of his old commercials back on, a "congratulations graduates, stay safe summer" commercial with Miles and I and a bunch of kids.
    Wow, Miles sounds adorable, what a character! Very cool, thanks for sharing!

We still haven't heard anything.