The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have both. 1/2 ton Suburban and 3/4 ton Yukon XL. Used the Suburban to pull before we got our Yukon. It is adequate but not ideal. The Yukon, however, is a dynamite hauling machine. Poor Suburban could barely chug up the hills between Cincy and Lexington - Yukon flies up them.

It's safer, I feel more confident, and it's newer, so has a lot of nice features Suburban didn't have. Also more stable. I would never go back!

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    And the mileage is AWESOME on a proper diesel. It is also my daily driver and gets 21 mpg on the highway - better than ANY of my half tons ever did!

...... now I will never go back from my 7.3L F250.
    THIISSSSSSS. I didn't even go down the Diesel (that Rudolf Diesel was on to something when he invented those) VS Gas. They're trying to fix the gas mileage thing that the EPA jacked up, but yeah, if you've got a good diesel guy, a tuner and egr delete (which are going away - buy now!!), you're sittin' real pretty.

Watch out for the Ford 6.0s (aka the 6.No's or 6.Leaker) from the late 90s - early/mid (I *think*) 00s unless you've got a good diesel tech...

But, LOVE a Diesel. There's a reason why road tractors are diesel. I wish the Ford Fantasy of them putting the 6.7 in the Expeditions would come true. OMG - a King Ranch 6.7 Power Stroke in an Expedition? I'd roll that puppy to at least 300K miles. The US really needs another SUV with the diesel, other than the hard to find Jeep Liberties/Grand Cherokees.

Ug. I totally high-jacked this thread on my I <3 Diesel rant.... Sorrrryyyyy......

Think of it like horseshowing.

You want to be schooling 6" higher and one level up at home.

So that the showring is easy, not maxed out.

Get the 250.

1 members found this post helpful.

Get the F-250.

Get diesel if you do the mileage.

Stay away from 6.0 (worst truck Ford ever built)

7.3 is the best truck Ford ever built. Your mechanic will steal if off you.
    I had my 1989 F-250 4x4 for 23 years without a minute's trouble, but did do good maintenance. Now have the Dodge 350 and it is a pig on diesel.

The 350 is total overkill for a 2-horse - 250 does the job easily.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I just brought home my GMC Sierra 2500HD last night, and I'm in love! Everyone here (and my local horsey friends) convinced me to go with the 3/4 ton. I won't be worrying about hauling my 2-horse trailer now, when I manage to actually get it (probably next year). Its pretty flat where I am in MS, but now it won't matter where I go.

For towing, always go for the bigger engine. Why go for "just enough" power when you can get "plenty of power"? For safety, for those sudden accelerations when you are trying to get out of harm's way, for driving in bad conditions --- I don't think you can go wrong going bigger. Yes, it will drink more gas, but maybe someday there will be gas wars again and gas will only be $0.17 a gallon! (Hey, I can dream, can't I????)

Before you buy a diesel make sure you have a mechanic that knows how to work on them. A good diesel mechanic is worth their weight in gold. A mechanic that does not regularly work on diesels pretending to work on one is very frustrating.

2 members found this post helpful.

you don't need to justify anything.

I smile every time I fire up my 2001 F-250 7.3 diesel.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    you don't need to justify anything.

I smile every time I fire up my 2001 F-250 7.3 diesel.
    Well, I thought it was "If you try hard enough you can justify anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I loff you guys ... thanks!

Last truck I got was a gas engine because the diesels available were those awful 6 liter things, but all of these "reasons" are the ones I've been telling myself -- it's not the pulling it's the stopping, I feel pushed around on the windy freeways in central Florida in a Chevy 1500, without a DOUBT it's a better looking vehicle -- but I left the best mechanic known to wo/man in California *sigh* .... I will have to trust the local dealership(s).

I made a list of the features I want and called a couple of the retailers. They hounded me to buy TODAY until I got tired of saying that I had to close on a house first and just didn't answer the phone. So, it's a few months out and I hope I can get a great deal ... but now I'm settled on the weight

(naysayers are too late now!)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

When I bought my 3/4 ton diesel truck I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. As I climbed out of my shiny new truck this older gentleman was in the parking lot and said "That's a mighty big truck for a little lady". Made my day.

That alone was reason enough to justify the purchase. At 5'9" and 150 pounds no one has ever called me "little"! I loff my truck, and never worry about hauling up and down the mountains around where I live.

Yes, I agree that bigger is safer!

Besides, you might be able to use the truck for other hauling needs besides towing a trailer.

We pull our 2+1 with a F-450...

Who cares what it can tow. The real question is what can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

Repeat this until fully ingrained:

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P?!!!
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Another person who votes for ABSOLUTELY a half ton isn't adequate unless you're pulling a Brenderup single.
    You can pull and easily stop a Brenderup two-horse with an Explorer. If you're hauling one of those steel things, though, more power the better.

Just asked my Dad, though, how do you justify an F250 and he said "You want it." Works for me! If you LIKE the bigger truck and WANT the bigger truck and you don't mind how much the gas is going to cost, get the truck! Nothing to justify. That's the truck you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    THIISSSSSSS. I didn't even go down the Diesel (that Rudolf Diesel was on to something when he invented those) VS Gas. They're trying to fix the gas mileage thing that the EPA jacked up, but yeah, if you've got a good diesel guy, a tuner and egr delete (which are going away - buy now!!), you're sittin' real pretty.

Watch out for the Ford 6.0s (aka the 6.No's or 6.Leaker) from the late 90s - early/mid (I *think*) 00s unless you've got a good diesel tech...

But, LOVE a Diesel. There's a reason why road tractors are diesel. I wish the Ford Fantasy of them putting the 6.7 in the Expeditions would come true. OMG - a King Ranch 6.7 Power Stroke in an Expedition? I'd roll that puppy to at least 300K miles. The US really needs another SUV with the diesel, other than the hard to find Jeep Liberties/Grand Cherokees.

Ug. I totally high-jacked this thread on my I <3 Diesel rant.... Sorrrryyyyy......
    The 6.0s came in 2003. Last 7.3s were manufactured the earlier part of that year. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    I loff you guys ... thanks!

Last truck I got was a gas engine because the diesels available were those awful 6 liter things, but all of these "reasons" are the ones I've been telling myself -- it's not the pulling it's the stopping, I feel pushed around on the windy freeways in central Florida in a Chevy 1500, without a DOUBT it's a better looking vehicle -- but I left the best mechanic known to wo/man in California *sigh* .... I will have to trust the local dealership(s).

I made a list of the features I want and called a couple of the retailers. They hounded me to buy TODAY until I got tired of saying that I had to close on a house first and just didn't answer the phone. So, it's a few months out and I hope I can get a great deal ... but now I'm settled on the weight

(naysayers are too late now!)
    End of the month is the best time to buy when they are trying to make their quota. Also, check your company benefits...some companies have fleet discounts with certain automakers.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Who cares what it can tow. The real question is what can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

Repeat this until fully ingrained:

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P.?!!!

What can it S.T.O.P?!!!
    you should get a decent trailer then
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    Nope, the 7.3L was from 1999 to halfway through 2003 (although the early-99's were different, avoid). In 2003, the 6.0L picked up and ran through 2006, I believe.

All of the above justifications are great and another point is that you would have no trouble selling a 3/4 ton down the road if your needs change - either within the horse world or to a "workin' man." I have a 2001 F250 7.3L Diesel that I bought used about 3 years ago with about 70,000 miles on it. Big, black, beefy and boy I love that rumble! Rarely do I take it out that some guy doesn't want to buy it!

OK, it's not exactly "green" but not too much about trailering horses is. But you want a tow vehicle that's safe for you, your horses and the other drivers on the road. Go with the 3/4 ton. Plus, like me, it sounds like you won't be driving it everyday. Our two "regular" cars are diesel also and get great gas mileage so I rationalize that I'm getting some carbon karma credits!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.