The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can someone help me justify a 3/4 ton truck?

Looking at new-ish trucks, I am resigned to the fact that the F150 (for example) with tow package, rated for 10,000 lbs is able to pull my horse and a friend in my 2-horse BP aluminum trailer. But I can't get past wanting an F250. That's what I had in California and just loved it. But there, I made the excuse that I needed the weight for the ups and downs of hills (which would be mountains in most of the rest of the country).

Here in Florida, there's just not much to justify the expense and I'm reluctant to pander to my fashion bias (I like the look of the F250) without even a modicum of practical justification.

Can anyone help me? (This will not be my daily driver. I've got an Escape ... that I don't want to trade in!)
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

I am sure somebody will be along here shortly.

Unfortunately, I am a closet tree hugger...
    The gas mileage on the trucks is horrendous, the bigger the more horrible. I am crying every time I am at the pump as it is, and I don't go that often....

But let me see...

More power reserve, in case you get into a tight spot.
    Or you want to upgradee and haul more horses....

Give guys truck envy (and a few gals, too)

Or just because. It's a cool truck and you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The F250 has real brakes whereas the F150 has lesser brakes as it is almost a car

12 members found this post helpful.

Don't do it. Depending on the year, I'll assume it's got a 4.6L. 10K on that ain't a lot. I cringe when I see some of my friends' set ups & I try to help out with suggestions (Dad does hauling, so I'm not an expert but I'm not a novice - he cant go to shows without blowing a gasket, though). At least they're crossing chains now.

This isn't about looks, it's about towing safely. Don't even get me started on most of the campers on the road. It floors me what a CDL driver (even in a private carrier situation) has to go through, but any Tom, Dick, or Harry can hitch up whatever to whatever and have at it at 70mph down the interstate.

Find a good trailer shop, research what you need as far as a truck, make sure the dealership didn't screw up tow package, get a break box, learn how to use it, etc....

Good luck!

3 members found this post helpful.

Love my 1500 Chevy with tow package. It gets the job done and does it well and with ease most of the time. But it works hard on the interstate and at speeds over about 65. God forbid I want to accellerate up a gentle slope at 65 mph! So when I can, I take highways instead. Simply assume you are doing a lot of interstate driving and you are justified for making the upgrade.

I would want a minimum of a 250 for towing. They are like night and day.

10 members found this post helpful.

Almost any truck and pull the trailer. What you need is a truck that will stop the trailer when you want it to stop and will keep the trailer steady going down the highway.

6 members found this post helpful.

It's unsafe to pull a trailer with a 1/2 ton.

5 members found this post helpful.

absolutely go 3/4 ton, no question, for towing particularly
    and go diesel or the gas will eat you alive.
    I get 26+ mpg with my 3/4 ton (not towing) diesel dodge
    Unless you are towing sometimes enormous, which it does not
    sound like you are
    you will not have to worry about toting a few horses down the road
    and should you ever hit a hill, you will be soooo happyl it only
    takes one time, underpowered, or one time in heavy wind
    to want a solid tow vehicle!

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok I keep saying it " I am an equipment junkie" there I said it again. This is a no brainer needs no justification situation for sure if I have ever seen one. I have a F250 superduty, and have looked at F350s and higher.(Oh I forgot I do have a 350 dump) anyways I never want to not have enough power and suspension. If it makes you feel any better about the gas milage, my DH has a explorer sport trac, and there is only 1 mile per gallon difference between the two. So if the stupid sport trac wasnt so dang reliable I would have traded it up in a second.
    Consider it a safety issue above all else. Yes the 150 can do it but.....? I say safety because it reminds me one time of being on the interstate and a guy pulled off the curb into bumper to bumper 80 mile per hour traffic directly in front of the truck and trailer. The massive swerve manuver nessesary to prevent a massive pile up would have flipped or jacked knifed a smaller tow vehicle. Sorry no justification for the bigger vehicle needed.
    Side note the 250s also do look hotter.

Safety. Stopping power. You can pull most trailers with almost anything, but stopping them is a different story. Power to pull when you need it to get out of the way of the idiots on the road. You don't have to worry about having the power to go up the occasional hill or can you go somewhere with hills without the strain on the truck. Less strain on the engine so the truck should technically have fewer mechanical issues and should last a long time. It isn't like it is your daily driver.

7 members found this post helpful.

Another person who votes for ABSOLUTELY a half ton isn't adequate unless you're pulling a Brenderup single.

Sez this family who has a Chevy 3/4 ton 8.1 liter gas engine (8 mpg, but man I love that truck) and just traded in a six year old F350 for a brand new F350 eep eep!!! Yeah a truck payment again kinda sucks, but dang it's nice, and the crew cab is night and day from an extended cab. Plus we went from the 6.0 International Harvester to a 6.7 Ford engine that's getting some rave reviews. Good timing for buying/trading, bad timing for hauling; we're driving around like crazy trying to get it to 500 miles, because we're hauling to Ore on June 6...whoops.

Sorry, off track! OP, my truck is way more truck than I need to haul my two horse, even with two hefty guys loaded. But even the smaller 3/4 would be adequate. I'd never use a 1/2 ton for hauling (again). Yeah, as my daily driver it eats gas like a mofo, but in the summer months I am almost entirely on my motorcycle, so it evens out. And a lot of the newer bigger trucks are getting excellent fuel economy. The new truck got average 19 mpg driving it home, some highway miles but mostly traffic and ups/downs/turns coming back onto the island.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I'm in the same boat you are! I have a half ton, but I'm dieing to trade it in on a 3/4 ton. DH won't let me, he is worried about adding the expense of a truck to our already tight budget.
    But I REALLY want the new Ram 2500!!!

Bigger is better when it comes to towing AND stopping, the most important feature of all. The beefier truck will also be less tiring to drive on long trips, since the trailer will not be so overwhelming when you're dealing with bad drivers, wind gusts, curves, etc. I'd never tow with a 1/2 ton truck again. Now we have an F350 and no towing to do. Even with the sturdy F350, if we got a really big RV to pull with it, the ideal thing to do would be to upgrade to a commercial-sized tow vehicle, like the trucks they use for moving mobile homes. We see a lot of fifth-wheel horse trailers being towed with those, now, but they're pricey - 50k and up for fairly new, but of course, cheaper as they gain age.

Yes, the mileage is poor on our older F350, but it's comfortable and stable.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

And the mileage is AWESOME on a proper diesel. It is also my daily driver and gets 21 mpg on the highway - better than ANY of my half tons ever did!

I towed with 1/2 tons for several years --- now I will never go back from my 7.3L F250. I have been in several situations, such as high winds slamming the trailer in storms, where the 1/2 tons would have definitely been pushed off the road and my horses could have been killed, but thanks to the 7,000 lbs of steel towing the trailer with plenty of power, we did not have a problem.

Hey, FL gets hurricanes too, so there you go!

My husband knows trucks and absolutely insisted we had to get a 3/4 ton to pull our trailer and one 14.2 horse. It gets totally crappy mileage AND it's the vehicle he uses to get to work (never REALLY local, either). FWIW.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Looking at new-ish trucks, I am resigned to the fact that the F150 (for example) with tow package, rated for 10,000 lbs is able to pull my horse and a friend in my 2-horse BP aluminum trailer. But I can't get past wanting an F250. That's what I had in California and just loved it. But there, I made the excuse that I needed the weight for the ups and downs of hills (which would be mountains in most of the rest of the country).

Here in Florida, there's just not much to justify the expense and I'm reluctant to pander to my fashion bias (I like the look of the F250) without even a modicum of practical justification.

Can anyone help me? (This will not be my daily driver. I've got an Escape ... that I don't want to trade in!)
    How about...you only live once and you can't take your money with you when you die?

That said, I highly doubt anyone will ever get me into another 1/2 ton truck again. My first pickup truck was a half ton (not a Ford) and it spent waaaaay too much time being repaired. It was an older truck, but I also had a friend who had an F150 and in no way did I like the way their truck pulled their trailer...seemed way underpowered and just asking to break it down when they hauled, which eventually it did wind up needing a new transmission. I don't know how the newer ones are doing because I have only ever owned F350-F550s with 7.3L diesels since that first truck, but frankly don't care, if it's for hauling horses the more power the better.

Perhaps you could convince a dealer to let you take one rigged for hauling for a weekend trial? I have seen dealers do that with regular vehicles, not sure if they will with a tow vehicle but that would give you an idea if you could live with it or not. My personal idea is that all the advertising in the world wouldn't convince me, the proof is in the pulling. And remember, you're the one who is going to have to look at and make payments on this truck...do you want to do that for something you don't really want? It's kind of like a trainer trying to guilt-trip you into buying a horse you really don't want but they say you "need" when you have clicked with another...don't let the government and greenies guilt trip you either. Know your own mind and needs and go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I would want a minimum of a 250 for towing. They are like night and day.
    THIS......I personally wouldn't haul with less than a 3/4 ton............
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Almost any truck and pull the trailer. What you need is a truck that will stop the trailer when you want it to stop and will keep the trailer steady going down the highway.
    ^^^

Yes, THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    absolutely go 3/4 ton, no question, for towing particularly
    and go diesel or the gas will eat you alive.
    I get 26+ mpg with my 3/4 ton (not towing) diesel dodge
    Unless you are towing sometimes enormous, which it does not
    sound like you are
    you will not have to worry about toting a few horses down the road
    and should you ever hit a hill, you will be soooo happyl it only
    takes one time, underpowered, or one time in heavy wind
    to want a solid tow vehicle!
    Or how about barely making it up a steep hill at about 10mph, which is exactly what happened to me in my first truck, a 1/2 ton!