The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The non-McMansion: Sexy micro-housing, modular houses and mobile homes?

I don't think it should cost $500K or 5,000 square feet for a body to live.

Show me the opposite of the McMansion that is still sexy.

I toured some modular homes recently and they were not fugly.

Whatchagot?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Modular homes are not bad. SIL has been living in one for over 20 years. You just have to keep at the maintenance.

As to micro homes....I have to much stuff. Too many interests that require stuff, actually more stuff than I already have.

There was a documentary on a guy who build really small apartments - if I recall in the usual high rent places.
    those places were really nice. But I could not make it in one of those for longer than a few month. I need at least 1400 spare feet.
    Not sure ow big they were, bit I think below 600....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Solargons are pretty cool IMO
    http://solargonhomes.blogspot.com/

ETA- I had a 360 sq ft studio and it's a little small.

Cool

this is my current favorite--though it would need some tweaking to be 'right' for me.

http://tinyhousetalk.com/tiny-cabin-...-ideas-galore/

our home/farm/contents are for sale--farm under contract and tag/estate sale here on the 8th of june to unload all of the stuff i've accumulated in 24 years here.

we are moving into an older 24x8 rv at camp until we buy something bigger in which to travel the countryside.
    some day i aspire to a tiny home at camp for five months so it feels more like a home than an rv.
    if i can get into a stick built tiny home while at camp i'll feel better about living in an rv the rest of the year.
    i'm loking at lots of tiny homes--my camp site allows for maybe 13'3'x36 if i'm lucky, and if i can get a loft for my bdrm i'll be pretty pleased overall.
    and since i rent the site at camp it needs to be portable, 13'3 wide can go over the road with a mobile home mover, of which we have plenty around here.
    some of the tiny structures have huge piano hinges on the roof line so the roofs fold down for travel and then get erected on site-
    wicked cool, lol!

There are tons of ideas on the Tiny House Blog http://tinyhouseblog.com/ .
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I fantasize about cutting back on all my "stuff" and getting a tiny house when I actually own a house one day. Seriously, for all the stuff I have sitting around my place compared to what I actually use 90% of the time, I could totally do it.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

When I built my house in 2004, it ended up being 1800 square feet. The only reason it was that big was I had to think of resale value. I could be very very happy in half that size, and as it is, I have 2 bedrooms closed off that still smell new! Im not a packrat tho, I dont have "stuff".

I downsized to a 2 br 830 sq ft cottage a few years ago and I love it. I found it amazingly liberating to get rid of all the stuff I had accumulated over the years. I had a couple of boxes that I had moved to 4 different places over the course of 15+ years and had never opened the boxes after having taped them up back in 1993.

MY problem is, I am finding I have so little stuff, I could live in a hutt.
    All the properties I am looking at have 3 to 5 acres, a small pole barn, and a Manufactured home that is too big.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

http://www.lowes.com/cd_The+Katrina+...544_464914785_

Although Lowes no longer offers plans, I've drooled over this one since they first came out.
    I even had my barn builder draw up a blueprint of the house attached to a 3-stall barn.
    Plunked down in the middle of a small (3-5ac) property, that would be my Dream Farm.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I live in a tiny place now - just over 500 sq feet but it was built to include lots of storage. It has two small bedrooms, a bathroom and a combined kitchen/living room area. It has lots of windows that give the illusion of space - which is great since I LOVE the view of my backyard. I have a two car garage with a loft, so I'm not hurting for storage, and I'm not one to keep a lot of stuff I don't need.

I am planning on building new on this same lot and I picked out a plan that's just over 800 square feet. I have no intentions of selling, so I'm building for me, not for resale value.

Our vacation home is less than 1000sq ft. It's a 2br. I LOVE how cute and cozy it is-- it's one of my favorite places to be. It also rents for more than $1/sq ft per week in the summer, which is a nice thing We keep 1 month for ourselves for family/friends/weekends and rent the rest. It easily sleeps 4 with room for more if you tried a bit harder.

I am not sure we could live there day to day, but the finished space in our "regular" home is only 1420sq feet (there is a rec room downstairs, currently full to the brim with our crap...) so I guess we could make it work.

I live in a 1,090 sq foot, 3/2 house with my husband and two sons. I love the house and it works for us, but I do have fantasies of clearing the clutter and streamlining life...but my husband is a bit of a pack rat and that's hard for him.

My older son will likely fly the coop withing the next year or two, but my younger son is entering his sophomore year in high school and will likely want to attend the JC that's a mile from our home.

I figure the house will be plenty spacious for a couple to rattle around in. It's a bit cozy with four people, three dogs and a cat.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I love apartmenttherapy.com - specifically check out their "small cool" contests. I get tons of inspiration from them because my 1BR apartment is ~500sq ft. I don't need any more space than that for me and my dog! I can vacuum my entire apartment from one plug and that alone is worth cutting down on space.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I love the Blu Homes http://www.bluhomes.com/ and Lindal http://lindal.com/homes/gallery/Turkel_Dwell_Homes/ has some interesting plans. Go to www.dwell.com for some cool ideas. There are some neat container houses out there also. Check out these pod homes: http://www.greenpoddevelopment.com/

Mr. PoPo and I would love to move to a larger property (we have 5 acres now) but they all come with equally larger homes! What we want is a small home on a big property, but you really can't find that. We thought we might build someday . . . we'll see.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

This is one of my favorite subjects. My true dream is to build a treehouse and move in, but I'd need a slide to get back down...

I collect info and floor plans on small houses -- unfortunately, all too often they are far from inexpensive. The ones I've attached aren't cheap, but they're a bit more reasonable. We'll most likely go with a value/on-your-lot builder...I don't know why they couldn't build something like this, but their floorplans are a bit more traditional.

http://fabcab.com/products/fabcab-homes/timbercab/
    http://fabcab.com/products/fabcab-homes/modcab/

Here's another place I lust after...if you look to the right of the photo they have other photos -- I love the whole setup.
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/317649/M...ior-burlington
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I don't think it should cost $500K or 5,000 square feet for a body to live.

Show me the opposite of the McMansion that is still sexy.

I toured some modular homes recently and they were not fugly.

Whatchagot?
    Great thread, mvp!

I used to own a very small house (500+sf) which was a really neat little place, but I would be mindful of minimum building sizes if I were to build in the future. At various times I had problems with financing my small house, and with insuring it. I think at the time, certain types of financing were restricted to homes of at least 700 square feet (maybe 750?). The insurance problem may have had something to do with the small size equaling small dollar value and the insurance company would not insure it because it was not worth enough money (I think that was the problem). Or it may have had to do with the ratio of lot value to structure value -- or I may have had both problems at one time or another.

So if I were to build a small house, I would contact lenders and insurance companies about all those issues as well as doing comps for price/square foot compared to the lot value to make sure the house qualifies easily for financing. The thing is, even if you build it for cash, you never know when you might need to sell or when you might want to refinance or take out a mortgage, and it is nice to have options.

I'm not sure if modular and manufactured are the same thing? We lived in Arizona in a (very nice, brand new) manufactured home in the early 2000's. It was very much better built than the stick built house we are now living in here.

Problem was, the banks didn't treat them the same and it was never going to appreciate like a 'real' house would. It was bs, but there it was. Didn't matter if you put it on a stem wall or not, in their eyes it was not a house like others. We sold it before it lost value, bought a fixer upper house and sold it right before the crash and moved here (another fixer upper).

Banks and lenders have very differing ideas of what constitutes a house or not, did it arrive in parts and how many, was it assembled mostly on your land or not, blah blah. It was ridiculous and frustrating, but there you go. Just an fyi for anyone thinking of buying one, definitely check that stuff first.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Modulars ARE stick-built...they're just stick-built in a factory then moved to the site. They do build equity, and while some parts of the country don't entirely accept them, banks treat them quite differently from manufactured homes.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth