The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I'm late, and have not read everything.

Has anyone called Pastel at his 540-890-3389 phone #?
    Offer to buy back the horse if necessary. You can always sue or have the woman who gave horse to him arrested later.

Can anyone drive to Patsel's farm in Goodview and see if the horse is there? If he is on the road to slaughter with Pastel, maybe you can get his cell # from someone and then hunt down patsel and pay for the horse. Get the horse back first, then worry about the money later. Address: 1872 Turner Branch Road, Goodview.

Can someone in VA do the footwork and help out the OP if she is unable to do anything and is 5 hours away?

Call the Roanoke TV stations NOW. This is a story that they will put on TV.

I'm confused. Was the woman who had Patsel move OP's horse and her own horses selling them off to Patsel or was he moving them for her? Are horses on his farm or heading to auction or slaughter? someone needs to drive around and check, and I'm no longer living in VA. Oh and does the woman who had Patsel move the horses have another place where she could put this horse and her horses? Her family and friends? Do they have a pasture where horses could be stashed. Or did she get mad and decide to just kill of her own horses as well?
    I tried the number just now, in hopes to get at least a location and offer some cash. No answer but I left a voicemail saying that I was looking to buy a few horses and came across his number. My guess is that "R" paid Patsel to transport the horse and I'm hoping that he'll call me back since I offered cash if I found what I wanted. If he also transports are we 100% sure that the horse is going to slaughter and not to a different location, just so that "R" can screw with the OP?

I agree 100% with CC's questions... where did "R"s other horses go and can somebody in that area check out the the area?

Usually once a phone number is posted, I would say for not everybody to call, but perhaps some pressure will eventually get this guy to sing about what happened. There is a ton of media going around right now about this gelding, I'm just off too post on my blog about him too, so the people involved have got to be sweating. Unless they live in the sticks and have NO media access at all... My guess is that he doesn't want a felony, which is what he'll get for getting mixed up with this "R" person.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wish you well....She owned him for a day..but had him while she owned him with you for a week. I can see why the police did not want to get involved.

1 members found this post helpful.

OK so someone needs to look for the horse at New Holland. And someone needs to check out the farm owned by the KB. Too far for me to do it, I'm about 500 miles away. (Used to live in Staunton.)

There are Cothers who go to New Holland. Maybe add that to thread title? And as much as some of you don't like Christy and AC4H and the brokers, someone should ask them for help. One kill buyer could call this guy who took OP's horse and find out where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Better yet fax them a pic, descript., and the info that the horse is stolen and also any meds he has had that would make him ineligible for slaughter.
    a reward might help.
    I would also go to the media and as much as it might suck, can you play your 'I have cancer' card? It sucks but sympathy does help... and if ever there was a time to use, maybe now is it?
    ^^^ YES, this.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnutmarebeware View Post
    I made up a quick flyer and gave it to the wonderful folks at Kingsport Livestock Auction at lunchtime today. They'll make sure everyone who comes through sees it. They tell me there's no other auctions for horses until you get to Knoxville, so that's good news. There was a big horse sale there yesterday, though.
    Shipshewana, IN runs a horse sale every Friday. You may want to contact them as well.

No matter what his involvement, you may want to approach "P" as if he is the unwitting accomplice. Remember how many, 'I'm trying to move my horse(s) to a new place, but the old BO is threatening to padlock/sell/etc. my horses unless I pay back board/unproven damages to barn/etc.' threads? "R" may have said something similar to "P", making you the Bad Barn Owner in her ficticious story.

If you say, "P", "I have proof that I own this horse, but "R" is trying to pass him off that she owns him to you. I have reported him to ALL the police organizations as stolen, have contacted numerous auction sites to watch out for my "stolen" horse, have him splashed all over facebook and reported as stolen, etc., etc. etc."

"I would hate for you, "P", to become involved in this felony action against your better judgment and knowledge. I am willing to pay a SUBSTANTIAL REWARD for the return of MY HORSE." (Saying you are willing to "buy him back" sounds like you never owned him in the first place.) Reiterate that you have current and all the documentation that you need to prove that you own the horse."

Good luck.
    Last edited by RHdobes563; May. 30, 2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarification and error correction
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

13 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I'm with Superminion and RHDobes on this. Proceed with care and don't offend anyone. You just want to buy a nice horse with the usual crappy warmblood hooves. I know this is a serious incident, but when I read about his hooves, I knew he was a warmblood.

Superminion, I'm in to help you if you can buy the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Shipshewana, IN runs a horse sale every Friday. You may want to contact them as well.
    Sugarcreek is closer. According to OH auction stats 141 were sold there last week or so with highest bid @ $1000 & low bid $250.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    Sugarcreek is closer. According to OH auction stats 141 were sold there last week or so with highest bid @ $1000 & low bid $250.
    Contacting both then would be a good idea. I once bought a horse that was sold in Elizabethtown, KY on a Wednesday, sold through Shipshewana on Friday and wound up here at Grundy County on Sunday where I bought him. So this poor horse, only 1 1/2 years old, went through three sales in a week! You see how complicated this can become? Some horses stay on the sale merry-go-round for a very long time and cover thousands of miles. I would say that there should be no stone left unturned on this. You just don't know.

I would absolutely get on the phone and talk to Patsel as an unwitting accomplice, offer a reward with no questions asked for safe return. And let him know that if he doesn't return the horse, a lawyer will be contacting him and you will sue. Let him know you have all the legal paperwork. Get the police on it NOW, at the same time, and let Patsel know.

I would also let the auction houses know you will provide a reward. And that you will sue if you find he is sold thru their auction. Hit it from all angles.

Has Net Posse come back to you with anything?

I don't want to imagine what you're going through right now! You really should just be able to focus on your health. So sorry!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

4 members found this post helpful.

I'd seriously seriously recommend that COTHers do not call this guy Patsel. Like someone else mentioned, we've all seen the many threads talking about hotly disputed claims between BOs and Boarders, and it's almost never a clean, cut-and-dry situation. Let the OP gather all her facts and make her case to the authorities involved. Let any contact with Patsel be from people directly involved.

Spreading the word to sale barns and auction houses is the best we can do for now. Who knows what actions a ton of suspicious calls will trigger. I say suspicious because I'm pretty sure that in this market, most low-end traders don't get calls from random out-of-towners just casually looking to see what he has for sale. Given the accounts of his character, graciously returning the horse with a sheepish "Oops Sorry!" is low on the list of probabilities.

13 members found this post helpful.

Jingles that your boy is found quickly. I just found out that my gelding's half brother went to slaughter after his owners decided that they didn't want a pasture pet any more. So sad

I will spread the word in whatever way I can to my horsey friends up in Canada.

3 members found this post helpful.

Cool Meadows, I am so sorry about your boy. You've already been given excellent advice, but I will add the Equine Rescue Network. They are good people and are a presence at the auctions and they may be able to keep a lookout.
    I second the great advice you've been given about publicity. The media is powerful and you can find a better attitude from the authorities if the media is involved. Make sure you have your proof of ownership in order and photos. Use social media to your advantage and get the word out.
    I free leased a pony to a woman from Wilbraham, MA, many years ago. She seemed ideal. I did everything you're supposed to do: farm visit, checked references, stayed in touch every month and still, my dear Merlin disappeared. The auction house at Agawam was wonderful and called me on two occasions when a pony matching the poster photo I sent to them came in. This was long before social media and I know I would have found out what happened to him if I had such a great tool at my disposal. I had to rely on phone calls, letters, calls to the newspapers and posters sent to every vet, feed store and tack store in that area. I got some leads, but never a straight answer and I still feel sick in my stomach when I think about him and how that woman fooled me. There are some very evil people in the horse world, and I hope you will be the one who defies the odds and gets your beloved horse back.
    Jingles for your horse, and for your cancer recovery, too. Please keep us up to date on any news.

3 members found this post helpful.

I posted this on New England Equine.

http://discus.equinesite.com/discus/...tml?1369962718
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

2 members found this post helpful.

Shared on FB as well. Hope you get your boy back!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I will get the police involved as soon as I physically can. I wanted to get home tonight after appointments but it would already have been too late for me to get to the magistrate in my county so I'm leaving in the morning. I am physically pretty worn out. Ronnie and Rachel knew I was out of town for radiation and knew I wasn't supposed to be home till next week.

The police are telling me that they will pursue charges if I show them proof, in person, that I own the horse. I can do that. I just need to get home to do it and I can't do that till morning.

I'm scared it may be too late. I've been getting really depressing stories from locals. Ronnie not only ships direct to slaughter, but he apparently sells directly to zoos also. I don't even know what to say about those two anymore. I'll get them criminally charged, but it may not help Fortune anyway.

Shared on our FB pages. Wish we could be of more help. COTHers who are in the know on this sort of stuff are mobilized. Godspeed your boy is home soon!!

Good news is that I just got a message that R is stating the horse is alive. She's also stating that she owns him. Well, the police said today that as soon as they see me in person and I show them my bill of sale and paperwork, they'll think different and go charge her. People's help with all of this has somewhat restored my faith in humanity but man, she and Ronnie are low. At least Fortune hasn't been fed to the lions yet...

25 members found this post helpful.

((Hugs)) I can't imagine having to go through this.
    If we can't be there in person - we're with you in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    Good news is that I just got a message that R is stating the horse is alive. She's also stating that she owns him. Well, the police said today that as soon as they see me in person and I show them my bill of sale and paperwork, they'll think different and go charge her. People's help with all of this has somewhat restored my faith in humanity but man, she and Ronnie are low. At least Fortune hasn't been fed to the lions yet...

I got misty eyed when I read what happened. Please keep everyone updated on your health and your horse. I am in law enforcement and have seen it all unitl I read how really low people will go to make a buck. I am truly blown away.