The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    1. The Media...you have cancer ... individual takes advantage of your while undergoing radiation. This is what media loves.

2. Contact as many county offices as you can. If they are trying to smuggle into Canada they may juyst pay 25$ and get the international Vet certificate so there is no inspection at the border. (I would assume this trucker has vets who would do this for him)

3. Truck stops...posters. Truckers gossip HOWEVER do NOT accuse the man. Just say..Last seen in a trailer OWNER BY him

4. Lawyer

5. Media...every type of media. Contact every horse group all the way to 4H. People do NOT like their names (even if charge is alleged and do use that word or you will be sued) listed where children are because it can spread to their children or grand children.

If the horse is in a truck load and there is only a 96 hour before slaughter you do not have the time AND it does appear from your posts..that lady has some type of claim.

This is why it is a civil matter.

Fairfax, since you're in Canada and know some of the management people in the slaughter houses, maybe you could contact them for the OP with a photo and description of the horse.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

I will be a Thurmont tomorrow evening (horse sale less than an hour from VA). My SO is an equine dentist and works on horses after people buy them, so we are there on a regular basis. We will keep an eye out for your guy!

3 members found this post helpful.

i shared your horror story on my facebook page.
    i pray you get him back safely and the person who did this to you rots.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Fairfax, since you're in Canada and know some of the management people in the slaughter houses, maybe you could contact them for the OP with a photo and description of the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    I asked the vets at the border this morning if they have any knowledge of it.
    Fairfax, did you also let them know about the stolen horse and ask them to keep a close eye on the trucks coming in?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mht View Post
    If you are on facebook, try contacting Transitions Thoroughbreds, or Need You Now Equine. These are both groups that frequent the feed lots in Eastern Ontario, that are the stop before the slaughter plants in Quebec. They may be able to help you. Good luck in your search.
    I am going to forward this to a contact I have at OLEX...she recognized Diamond and set the ball rolling that resulted in him being saved. Different situation, but a VERY helpful person.
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    Get contact phone numbers for slaughterhouses in Canada, call them, and tell them they may be getting a stolen horse that's had bute recently. Get an email address and send them a picture of the horse. Make sure they have your phone number. Good luck finding your horse!
    Better yet fax them a pic, descript., and the info that the horse is stolen and also any meds he has had that would make him ineligible for slaughter.
    a reward might help.
    I would also go to the media and as much as it might suck, can you play your 'I have cancer' card? It sucks but sympathy does help... and if ever there was a time to use, maybe now is it?
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

2 members found this post helpful.

I would imagine if this buyer ships himself, in DDs, someone has/knows his license plate number or DOT numbers to alert the border and/or the plants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Fairfax also could alert the borders and plant management he knows to the guys name. I would imagine there has to be a database that ties names to DOT numbers and license plates? Then they would know exactly what truck to look at, and not have to look in a variety of truck... UNLESS the horse gets sold/given to another buyer/dealer?

1 members found this post helpful.

I've spoken to animal control and they said once I get home and take any paperwork and bill of sale proving my ownership to the police, that they will then issue a warrant for theft against the woman, and a warrant for transporting stolen goods against the man. I can do that.

I don't know anything about the slaughterhouses in Canada so any help there is appreciated. I cleared out my inbox. Here is another picture of Fortune, from his former owner who saw this thread. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=2048%2C1536

6 members found this post helpful.

I second or third contacting the media. And I'm glad you got something more positive from animal control (I was going to suggest you go into the police dept. or sheriff's dept. when you got home with your proof of ownership, or tell your house sitter where to find it and fax it to the officers).

I am so sorry.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Posted on my page.

Shared him out on my page too... some friends attend Unadilla here in NY and NH.... will remind them as the sale dates approach to look, if he's not returned by then.

Shared on my FB page as well.

This is one of the times I really miss Sarah Greenhalgh. Anyone have any contacts in the media?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

CM, the info is on its way to the person who checks in ALL livestock at OLEX (southern ON auction, where meat buyers frequent for the Qu├ębec plants). She is amazing and knows her horses, and will be able to spot him a mile off if he shows up here.
    Also - maybe people on show circuits could share the pics with show secretaries, judges, ring stewards? Might be overdoing it but thought I'd put that out there.
    Jingling for you!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

7 members found this post helpful.

I posted on FB as well.

I agree about getting the media involved. Let every horse related organization know. If he's in the auction pipeline, you need to get with all the auction houses around. I saw his pics on FB and forwarded (shared) the posts. In his favor is that he appears to be distinctive and to appear to have been recently in good care. Those types do stand out to people looking to pull horses out of killpens. If those types of folks know he's stolen, you have a far greater chance of getting him back. Alert as many rescues as possible!

As for police, I wish they would do more but unlike stolen cars, most cops don't really know how to pursue a stolen horse. I agree that you have to file a report and press charges, but you will get far more action from NetPosse and fellow horsemen here on CoTH, because they have greater institutional knowledge of the horse and auction worlds.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Absolutely horrifying. Shared on my fb as well.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

I am at work so can't check my records.
    But, he doesn't sound familiar so I am assuming he sells to the larger KB's, the ones who actually haul loads to the plant.

Aside from having contacted the auction houses, do contact those large KB's.
    The ones I have dealt with in the past have ALWAYS been helpful with stolen horses. Trust me, they do NOT want to end up in court testifying as a witness.
    And most actually HATE horse thieves.

Someone with access to the records may be able to give you contact info for the big KB's in the area.

Once you have the proof of ownership and a theft report filed, have LE either call the dude and that chick, or have them go their homes, to advise them of the theft and that they are being named in the report as the perpetrators.
    That may even give LE enough grounds for a search warrant. And at least here in KY a search warrant can also include the entire property. Judge should know how to word it for this case.

And yes to informing the border and the plants.

Keeping everything crossed for a good outcome.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I can't believe how many shares he has had, thank you all so much. I am overwhelmed with everything. I'm here in a hotel room with my 17 month old son and a big fat radiation burn and just want to get home and get my horse back. I doubt we need to contact shows because Fortune needs to grow out some deep bruising still... he's quite sound now but if they pull his shoes, he will be head bobbing and won't stand a chance at auction.

Saw this on fb earlier today - have shared the link on my page too. I am not far from you but do not recognize this guys name.

I would have to agree with the idea of contacting the media - sounds like a story that wsls would love to do something with.