The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default My horse has been stolen. Fortune, 16.3 bay HolX SW VA

Long story as short as possible...

I am five hours from home and just completed my final radiation treatment for cancer yesterday. I have been partially trading field board for two horses to my babysitter, R, for her to watch my son. I also paid her. Over the weekend I discovered some dangerous things going on in her house and told her out deal is finished and asked her to remove her horses.

I asked a friend, M, to oversee the horses being moved today since I couldn't be there, what with final Dr appointments etc at the treatment center. R brought the local kill buyer to ship her horses from my place. I knew she had worked for him in the past but she said once she realized what he was, she was through. She loaded her two horses and my friend was with her in the tack room when P took my horse through a Dutch door from the field and put him in the trailer parked just steps from the stall. He was out the driveway before my friend could do anything. My friend blocked the drive to stop R from also leaving and called the police, but when they arrived, R told them she owned the horse and the police said it was a civil dispute.

She did own the horse for a day, that's another long story, but I have a bill of sale as well as texts between she and I where I agreed to take him and discussing my ownership of him.

What can I do? I'm afraid that by the time I get back to town and file, he will have been slaughtered. He's 16.3, shiny bright bay with left hind sock and a blaze. He has a largish head and left here hot shod on all 4 with pour in pads in front. He will be dead lame without shoes and is still shorter strided with shoes. I'm afraid that he is going straight to slaughter and won't even hit the auctions.
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; May. 30, 2013 at 01:26 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Who was house sitting for you? CosMonster?

God Almighty. That is about as low as a person can get, doing something this crappy to another person.

I am assuming you contacted the law and Netposse?

And many hugs to you and jingles for his swift recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

https://www.netposse.com/welcome.asp

lawyer up now!!
    File a police report.

Find out where the trailer has gone.-Driver's address, etc for a legal action.
    Copies of texts, photos of horse, anything proving your history of ownership.

Is there a board lien someone didn't pay? Pay up asap.

Paper the local Auctions with a letter from the lawyer and horse photos, etc.
    Copy of police report.
    Post a reward, too. And number to call -tip line.

Get on it fast.

3 members found this post helpful.

I would get ahold of deb at netposse.com

It is also criminal...this is theft.
    Call the state police now.
    Good luck
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Oh goodness. What a nightmare!! Is there any way you can contact the authorities and explain the situation??

Put up fliers and ads everywhere. Feed stores, Craigslist, tack shops, etc. Do which know which auction house the KB uses? That would be a good place to look to.

I am SO SO sorry to hear this. What a sh*tty time for it to happen to. I wish I could help.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Another self care boarder has been caring for my three horses and my dog. I just sent s message to net posse and am hoping they can help.

The slaughter buyer that picked him up is Ronnie Patsel and I know he owns double deckers and goes straight to slaughter houses but I don't know which ones or where his place is. .. I've always avoided him like the plague. There's no board owed since I own the farm. This is all so low, but after what I discovered about R this weekend, I'm not surprised. I'm as upset that she hid things well enough for me to allow my son to be in her care.

Will state police be less likely to blow it off as civil? I can't even get home till tomorrow night at the earliest. All my proof is at home. The local police told my friend maybe they could have done something if I'd been there in person.

That is an amazingly shitty thing.

Agree with netposse, as I am sure they will have good advice and help for you. I am assuming they will have contacts at the local auction house, and they should be contacted to be on the alert. Also slaughter houses could be contacted directly to watch out for the stolen horse.

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this on top of cancer.

Can you get a friend to contact the kill buyer (who I am assuming is also a dealer) looking for a horse just in case he is sitting in his yard "for sale"?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

You need to contact all the above and the local and state police.
    Explain your situation, this Ronnie Pastel, etc
    You have a witness your horse was stolen.
    If whoever you talk to blows you off, talk to another.
    This is not civil,this is criminal.
    Your property, your horse was stolen.
    The fact you have a witness is proof.

Good luck.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

4 members found this post helpful.

Agreed, this is theft and is criminal. A civil case would be a money owed situation, this it outright theft. File ASAP so they can get out on the road looking for the kill broker.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I would also contact all of the rescues that frequent the auctions by you so they can be on the lookout, but I suspect that if she did this as some retaliation then she is either having her friend ship your horse directly to slaughter or she is hiding him wherever she took her horses.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Here is a link to what appears to be Ronnie's contact info:

http://companies.findthecompany.com/...in-Goodview-VA

He needs to know he is in the possession of stolen property which is a felony. I would also suggest you change the title of your thread to show his name, because there is sure to be someone here who knows him or has a connection to him.

I'm sending you tons of positive thoughts as well as prayers. I'm so sorry to hear you have to deal with slimy people and hope you get your horse back soon!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

3 members found this post helpful.

jenm, I have a feeling that he knows very well and just doesn't care. His reputation would make your skin crawl... They planned this out well and it looks like they've pulled the civil dispute card more than once when stealing horses. I am going to wait on a full report with netposse because you have to choose between criminal and civil and I want to try tomorrow to get a criminal case going and then add that to netposse. I don't feel like it's civil, and frankly am financially low so lawyering up for a civil case after all the ridiculous cancer expenses is daunting... being sick is expensive.

I only have one picture of him from the first few weeks he was there, when his shod feet started feeling better and he and I went for a easy walk. I rode him a few times on the weekends when I went back to town and he just got better and better. Haven't been able to ride for the past month but was looking forward to it... the thieves know that too. My other two are a retiree and an unbroke coming 3 year old. I have lost the little bit of faith I had left in humanity over the past 2 years.

Here's the one not so good picture of Fortune. I wish I had others or me on him but have been a little overwhelmed with things the past 6 months...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=1529%2C2048

Post pictured posters at grocery stores and the like as well. Having recovered a missing horse that was missing for over three years, he may be closer than you think. The best place to hide is in the last place you'd expect. The horse here in question would have been able to be heard to neigh on a clear night with the wind blowing right at the back of my property. If your posters start disappearing from local bulletin boards like mine did, you will know that where there's smoke, there's fire.

Also, as much as it may sting, I would offer a no-questions-asked reward to the slaughterhouses for them to hold him for you if he comes in until you can arrange his safe return. I know it may sting to have to pay for stolen property, especially after all you have been through, BUT it may grease the wheels to move a lot faster and therefore save his life. I had to take up a collection to buy back this horse I speak of...a lot of people said the people who had him should have been sued but the fact of the matter was, like you the owner didn't have the money to lawyer up and it was far cheaper to buy him back. I think a reward at least twice as high as what the meathouse would pay for him might grease some wheels. It couldn't hurt anyway. Bear in mind the slaughterhouse likely doesn't know he was stolen and wasn't involved in the theft...to them he'll be just another horse.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    I would also contact all of the rescues that frequent the auctions by you so they can be on the lookout, but I suspect that if she did this as some retaliation then she is either having her friend ship your horse directly to slaughter or she is hiding him wherever she took her horses.
    Hell, contact all the auctions to be on the lookout. The auction chain can be a long one across the country, so if they have pictured posters to look at with a reward for a tipoff and a call to the police, they may help you. They won't want to be selling stolen property.

I'll offer the reward to slaughterhouses. If I get nowhere with criminal charges, then I'll lawyer up. I don't want to. It's criminal and I've run through too much money, but I need to do what I can to keep him safe. I thought I had it covered by having someone I totally trust watching things but the thieves were so sneaky. I really hope they're not as heartless as they seem and won't just send him down the line for a few hundred bucks of pure profit.

Call the local media.

10 members found this post helpful.

Good lord, hope all turns out ok!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

OMG - how could anyone do such a terrible thing! I am jingling madly for you for a happy ending.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

CoolMeadows, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.
    I have a co-worker who's father is a dealer- I gave him your horse's description and he said he'd keep an eye out but also reco. that you contact the larger auction houses with a description and information. Apparently, this guy Ronnie does sell to slaughter but also buys and sells through auctions- not great, but would give your boy more time to be found. Let me know if there's anything I can do, I'm in VA too, not sure how close to you though. Good luck!!
    Juliette Beauchamp, LVT
    http://turtlemountainfarm.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

if you haven't already, start blowing up FB too.... get everyone you can think of to share posts, etc. maybe with enough "heat" this horse will be returned.

good luck, ((HUGS)) and hope you are on your way to recovery from your treatment!!

5 members found this post helpful.