The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting my horse transported from NY to WA

Hi! I searched the forums a little and didn't find a thread like this (though I know there are probably many), so please forgive me if this is an old/ recurring topic.

I'm moving my horse across the country, and I'm looking for any and all advice. I moved her once before, from CA to NY about 12 years ago, and back then I pretty much went with the cheapest option, and luckily had no problems. This time I want to make sure I do things right. Things I am curious about:

- What type of licensing and insuring should I look out for?

- A few haulers are registered with the "National Horse Carriers Association." I checked it out and it seems good, but most haulers are not members. Any opinions on whether or not I should make it a priority to go with a NHCA member?

- Some haulers tout their "full air ride" rigs, while others have "front air ride," while others mention nothing about air rides. What is the difference? (Clearly I am not a trailer owner yet).

- Is there a benefit to going with a smaller (say, 6-horse) or larger (say, 20 horse) trailer?

- Haulers have been quoting me prices for "single," "1.5," "double," and box stalls. The prices between these vary a lot. Is a box always best? Is a double that much better than a single?

- Any recommendations on haulers?

- Any other advice would be so helpful, too.

Thanks!

I sent you a PM

1 members found this post helpful.

1. If you can, fly the horse.
    2. If you can't, you want a box stall on an air-ride semi with a company that has a good reputation. Inquire about layovers - where will the horse be taken off the rig, for how long, etc.

A 1.5 or double stall is two horses wide across the trailer. A 1 or single stall is three horses wide across the trailer. Even for shows, we only do single stalls for ponies. All horses ride in 1.5s. Several reputable shippers won't book horses in singles at all.

However, in both a 1 and a 1.5, the horse will be cross-tied. Only the box stall option allowed the horse to be untied, lower their head to cough, etc.

I just shipped two horses with Taps Horse Transport, one from VT and one from PA to KY and I highly recommend them if they go to WA. I'm sure Huntin' Pony sent you a PM with better info than I can give, but I just wanted to throw their name out there. Cost me $1,500 for the both of them, with my big girl in a box stall and my TB in a stall and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I shipped a mare from MD to WA last summer using McLemore's (http://www.McLemoresHorseTransport.com) based on some great reviews from posters I trust here on CoTH. They're based here in Washington and were easier to work with schedule wise than some of the other companies I contacted. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. My memory's a little rusty, but I think I paid in the $2200 range for a triple box stall. They also stayed in constant communication which I really appreciated.

I've used Reese's All State Horse Express more than once and was very satisfied on all levels. They use 6-horse slants. However, there is no pre-set pick up and drop off dates. They'll keep you informed all along the way, but they will only give you a range of dates. They depend on getting a full load before they start the run.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

Thanks guys! This is really helpful. I'm going to look into these companies.