The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheap breeches! <30$?

A lot of my breeches are...holey!

I've been riding in plain leggings, like from walmart, for the summer, but I'll need some better ones now that I'll be riding more once my horse is closer.

I just ordered these: http://www.breeches.com/TuffRider-La...pid-55219.html from Jeffers, but I was researching them (yes, to find out if the pink ones come in ladies' sizes!) and found these:

http://www.breeches.com/TuffRider-La...pid-55398.html

http://www.breeches.com/TuffRider-La...3039-qty-.html

http://www.breeches.com/TuffRider-La...8483-qty-.html

Does anyone have experience with them? Or recommend others? I have some Boink low rise ones that I LOVE, and I stalk eBay religiously for them, but I rarely find them, and I never got a response from the company and they're a bit expensive for schooling breeches!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I wear the On Course pull on breeches, the newer ones are lighter and more comfortable to ride in. Smartpak has them for around $40.

Do they come in low rise? I'm short waisted, and I had some On Course ones before that came up to my boobs! Not flattering
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay I NEVER thought to wear tights... That was a pretty good idea!

My honest suggestion is to go to your local tack store and look in the consignment section. I got a great pair of Artists there, and they have a nice pair of TSs as well... Just a little too small! Kills me, they've been there forever and are now like... $10.

Yep I do that whenever I go... which is not very often.

I know! I was so proud when I thought of it. Granted they don't have knee patches, but they're very cool in the summer, and you can wash and dry them like normal. I hang my breeches to dry, so that saves me time. Plus, if anything happens to them, I DON'T care because they're always < 10$! The only thing is they tend to be thin, so I make sure I wear a long tank top or something to cover my butt.

I have the cotton schoolers -- I like them, but they don't have belt loops so you can't really get a semi-polished look. Mine have held up well and I like the little zippable pocket.

These I really like and have a lower rise waist, but they're about $10 more than the cotton schoolers. The convenience of a stretchy pull on, but I can slap a belt on and give it a nicer look!

I saw those! I'll keep them in mind. I'm keeping an eye out because my last round of cheap breeches (from about 3 years ago) is starting to fall apart.

My Jeffers order shipped, so hopefully those ventilator tights work out well. I already have show breeches, and the tan ones I use for stadium at events are also my clinic/nice lesson/schooling show breeches, so I don't really need the polished look as much as simple schooling breeches.

I am intrigued by those ventilator breeches! Let us know how you like them!

The bamboos one look good too but I wonder how slippery in the saddle they might be.
    When it's really hot and I just want to putz around I just ride in my thin, stretch jeans. Very comfy and much cooler than any breech/tight.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I would go down a size in the ventilator breech- mine were sagging at the knees and butt before I walked out the door. They are very lightweight and cool.

I have the bamboos and they are like riding in PJ's. Really just feel like super soft cotton. And they are very comfortable in the heat, wick away sweat quiet well. I wear them trail riding and do some long hours in the saddle in them.

I would be curious about the venitlator breeches. I may have to try a pair.

I just scored an almost brand new pair of Latigo full seat breeches for $30 on Craigslist. Those are prety cool...

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    I would go down a size in the ventilator breech- mine were sagging at the knees and butt before I walked out the door. They are very lightweight and cool.
    Yes I definitely should have gotten a medium... Mediums are usually right on the obnoxiously tight line, and I don't even consider myself heavy. Just pear shaped But the larges were right at my measurements. I'm going to see if my mum can help me take up the waist in the back, and then they should be okay.

I have a pair of cheap Devonaires, the kind with the ribs. I LOVE them. I even show locally in them but now they have a stain and I will need a new pair

$45, I got them cheaper during a sale. http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-L...-pid-2356.html

I had a pair of cotton TuffRiders (not the exact ones you posted).

They would. not. die. I think I wore those regularly for something like 5 years before they fabric above the knee patch started to get sparse/see through (no holes though!), and I threw them out.

I have the Tuffrider cotton schoolers you linked above and a pair of Tuffrider pull-ons as well. (Mine are regular rise, though.) Both are comfortable and sturdy.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have a bunch of TuffRider stuff, breeches included and it all wears like iron. I love it!

I love my Tuff Rider Ribbed Breeches. They come in pull on and front zip as well as low rise. I can often catch them on sale and got a great deal + free shipping from State Line Tack recently. Smartpak carries them as well.

I bought these in both colors:
    http://equusunlimited.com/knee-patch...ches-closeout/

I think the ivy fit better for some reason (same size), but both are fine, and for 30 bucks, I'll take it.

I have a pair of the Tuff rider pull on starters.
    they're comfortable and you can wear a belt with them, they aren't very low rise if you know what I mean but they aren't torso covering either Mine only last about a year and a half before I have to buy a new pair, but they're inexpensive so it works out. (Plus I'm rough on them, so they might last longer normally)
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

I got some yoga pants at Old Navy, $16 IIRC. Wasn't intending them as riding breeches but they have turned out to be really comfy and I do ride in them quite a bit. Should be able to find them in low rise.

That's how I got the leggings idea I tried yoga pants, but I didn't like how bulky the calf part was.

2 members found this post helpful.