The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin off from lottery thread: If you hit the Lotto,

what totally frivolous, non-horsey thing would you buy or do?

For me it would be a 1952 model pickup truck, either a Chevy or Ford because that's the year I was born and I think antique pickups are way cool.

I'd do some traveling and some updating to my house but that's about as frivolous as I get LOL!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Pay of my student loans! I know boring but hey it'd get that monkey off my back for the next 30 years.

I'd probably buy a new car (I've been drooling over an Audi) and pay off my parent's house and cars.

Then I would go and buy 100 acres or so and build my dream home and barn.

Oh and a REALLY nice hunter, to go to WEF with.

I want a new house.

Then this little hybrid.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/po...tricity-alone/

I'd splash out and buy myself a top of the range gaming laptop.

I'd also buy some track (car) lessons with a really good pro. It's something I've wanted to do for a while now.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Pay off my student loans and any other debt, remodel the house, and build my barn and finish my fencing... Boring I know, I may throw an awesome vacation in there somewhere!

Nope, paying off loans and building houses and barns don't count. This has to be a completely frivolous, toy type purchase. Now, of course we'd pay our bills, help our families and do all those responsible things but if you really hit it big, you'd have to get at least one big luxury item.

Pay off the truck I'm buying, buy a horse trailer, and maybe a nice vacation somewhere. Other than that, I'd invest it to make sure I had enough money to live my current lifestyle.

TBH, I want money more for security and freedom to do whatever I want with my time, not for things. I have things. What I don't have is time. This is the kicker nobody tells you when you are a kid -- yes, you can grow up to be and buy whatever you want, but unfortunately the more you can afford, the less time you have to enjoy it!!

So what I'd REALLY do (assuming I won a big lottery) would be march my butt into a financial firm and come up with an investment strategy that would allow me to live off interest.

Otherwise, aside from building a nice, small facility with an apartment for me to live in and a barn for my trainer to operate out of I would:
    -- take my parents on a fun trip to Hong Kong and Tokyo and stay in all the nicest places that I usually only get to stay in for work.
    -- hire a personal trainer to kick my ass 5 days a week for 6-9 months, literally dragging me out of bed if he or she had to.
    -- buy a new car, because I need one. Probably a lovely white Porsche Cayenne.

ETA: oh wait, I lied, there is a thing I want. I'd buy a frivolous, hot-pink ostrich Hermes Birkin. And also a nice, sensible black one.

i want a Tesla.

or at least a fancy audi.

oh, and a greenhouse. with staff. and a C. Bow Bells division.
    Last edited by charismaryllis; May. 29, 2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

For a mega lottery win, I would:
    Make sure all my nieces and nephews have their college tuition paid for.
    For the adult relatives, I would pay off their mortgages and make sure they are taken care of. Buy my mother-in-law a condo in Long Boat Key and if she wanted to stay in Boston, I would get her a new one story house with no stairs.
    Make sure each of my 3 children are well taken care of. Buy them each their dream home, buy my son a boat, my oldest daughter her dream horse and my youngest, a trip around the world. Whatever they desired.
    Designate a good chunk to charity. My charities would be horse and environment related. Buy all the auction horses before the kill buyers could and if the horses couldn't be rehabbed and rehomed, then give them a decent euthansia. Establish a sanctuary for the school masters that people don't want any more. Same for the old dogs and cats that get dumped. ( can you see I have a soft spot for the old animals?)
    And of course, buy my dream farm. Nothing too big or crazy. A farm in the north for the summer and a winter farm maybe in Ocala. A new truck and trailer. A new boat for my husband. A few trips...an Alaskan cruise and the train ride across Canada for starters!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Well in that case OP, I'd buy the little Fiat 500 I keep eyeing so I wouldn't have to use my big diesel as my everyday driver.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

you mean WHEN i hit the lottery?
    and you want frivolous you say?
    how about a big coth party--one where tickets and hotels and meals are paid in full for whomever shows up?

or maybe surprise a class room of kids and take them to the circus for the day?

oh--how about arranging for a truck full of pet food to give free food to people with pets in distressed areas--maybe a years's worth per family?
    basically i'd love to give it away and see people smile and cry with happiness.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty much with Suzier. There's nothing, frivolous or otherwise, that I really want other than to be established and able to survive without killing myself to do so.

The first thing I would do is pay off the student loans.
    Then I'd pick up a more reliable vehicle. Possibly a truck and small horse trailer. Maybe just a nice SUV and worry about truck/trailer later.
    Then I'd buy a house..either a nice home in the older part of town, or else an acreage suitable to a few sheep.
    Toss some off at family.
    Invest the rest. Hopefully "the rest" is enough that I can live off the interest and enjoy life and the horses without the crazy 3-job schedule I am keeping right now to be able to afford them.

If I won a million, I figure that leaves me a good 500k to invest. But if it is enough (like, 10 mil or more) then I'd upgrade the house/acreage to sheep farm. I guess that would be my frivolous purchase. A sheep farm for me and the dogs.

Truth is, I wouldn't even buy myself a pricey horse. I <3 my cheapo OTTB.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Quit my job, live off the investment income/interest (or if it was HUGE, off principle to minimize taxation,) but probably the most frivolous thing would be ripping out ALL the floors in teh house and replacing them...then selling and moving up north. (Of course if I want to sell the floors really need to be done anyway, but still.)

A fully stocked wine cellar in my basement.

And I would open a decent bakery in my little town that made European style crusty bread and pastries. And serve excellent fair trade coffee. It would lose money, probably, but we are talking frivolous here.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

There are so many practical things I'd want to take care of first for me and those I love that it's hard to think through to the frivolous level, but after I took care of everything else, I would have custom bras and shoes made to finally have them fit me comfortably.

My "if I won the lottery frivolity" is moving a particular old, unloved, but beautiful, house from a larger town 20+ miles away to my farm. Then I would renovate it and love it forever!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Buy a house in the mountains. Probably either the Vail or Breckenridge area. We'd also like to open a brewery/distillery up there. Just as our "side job" to the WB breeding operation I'd have

Oh and I'd buy myself one of these bad boys...
    http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl.../bodystyle-RDS
    ...in addition to my brand new F-450 King Ranch and 6 horse Sundowner
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

If we won the lottery I would build a nice barn on our property in G-Town Kentucky, add a few nice Thoroughbreds and move there. I would definately get a new Tesla too!
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY