The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barns somewhat convenient to the Bronx?

I know it's been done - I think I've read every "riding/lessons/training/boarding in NYC" thread, but I'm hoping for some suggestions more specific to my location and needs from those who know the area better than I. So here's the rundown:

Location: Living and working in the Bronx (NE part, close to Westchester county border; quite close to Coop City). The condemned "Horse Rides" barn (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1163050) is literally pretty much around the corner from me. I'm willing to drive quite a ways (probably up to 1-1.5 hours without traffic).

Need: Board with at least some turnout available. Ideally, I would like a situation where I can primarily work on my own but could lesson with a very good trainer (on-site or will allow outside trainer) on a monthly-ish or bi-weekly-ish basis. Doesn't need to be a big name, but I do want someone with a background in correct flatwork/dressage. I think probably a more jumper-oriented environment might be better, but I'm also interested in gaining more experience in the hunters. I'm open to a smaller, private place that would allow me to bring in a trainer.

Cost: I know I'm crazy and I know it limits me a LOT, but since I will still be boarding at least one horse in Georgia, it's got to be south of $1500. That much is do-able, but not comfortable.

I think going north would be easier for me than going into New Jersey or trying to get to Long Island. I'm not sure about Connecticut, but I'm open to suggestions.

I've already contacted Riverdale and the Bronx Equestrian Center.

GO!

ETA - I do have my own car and I don't need full service (with tack up, grooming, etc)
    Last edited by pattnic; May. 30, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Absent a small private place with no indoor or trainer, Westchester County and South Western Fairfield County(Greenwich, Stamford and New Canaan) are out. I'd look around north and east of Danbury, CT and in Duchess County, NY (and maybe Putnam). Towns like Pawling and Patterson north of I-84 will likely have some good options within your 1.5 hour window.

It ads a bridge, but you will find lots of options in your price range in Orange County, NY too.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Absent a small private place with no indoor or trainer, Westchester County and South Western Fairfield County(Greenwich, Stamford and New Canaan) are out.
    Is there really nothing in Westchester for $1,500? Eesh! Full care (grooming, tack-up service, etc.) at my BNT barn in Hunterdon County (NJ) is around that!

Tha Ridge, that's the nature of the NY/Southern CT vs. NJ thing. You get so much more bang for your buck if you drive the same distance/same crappy traffic in the NJ direction.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

So are we thinking that I really should consider NJ? It means driving across the Bronx and the George Washington bridge... and possibly terrible traffic. There's a place I really like that I went to this past weekend in NJ; Google maps originally said it would take about 1 hr 20 min, but traffic in the Bronx, on the turnpike, and a detour turned it into 2 hrs 20 min. (Granted, the 20 min of detour was ultimately my fault, but still...)
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Check out the Western Hudson valley chapter of the PHA. There are some nice places in Orange that won't be out of range.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

If you are willing to go 1.5 hours north, that puts you in Dutchess County which has TONS of barns. I believe most barns with indoors/trainers etc are in the vicinity of $1,000/month -- I'm sure you can find some for less, and I know you can find some for more.

It would be a straight shot up the Saw Mill to 684 and then Route 22. (At least, that's how I go, I'm sure there are other routes as well).

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Is there really nothing in Westchester for $1,500? Eesh! Full care (grooming, tack-up service, etc.) at my BNT barn in Hunterdon County (NJ) is around that!
    IME, somewhere in the $2k range would be more realistic for Westchester or southern Fairfield CT, unless you found a smaller/private facility. And full service would be in the $3K range. NJ is almost certainly less expensive!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina