The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Dog Trainers out There?

Curious when you started teaching, what level of experience, how you started,what age, etc? I'm starting to compete in rally and agility. Have a long way to but would love to hear about your experiences.

Not looking to make a full time support yourself endeavour at this point. And I know there are people who just hang their hat out like their are riding instructors. What do you think distinguishes the good from the not?

Just looking for feedback. I have ideas but want to see if they match up. Thx

I am not a dog trainer, but I do compete in Agility and have been doing so for about 6 years. When I used to train at one facility, and my trainer would go out of town for vacation, I would cover her beginner and intermediate classes for her.

I do know that some of the places around here, let their more advanced students teach classes for a discount on their own training. That way they don't have to pay trainers to teach.

I think to be a good agility trainer ( and the same probably goes for Rally) you have to have several years of experience in the sport. You should probably be at the Master/ Excellent level and you should compete. I just recently left my long time trainer because while she was a good teacher, she had stopped competing. Her classes were good, but she wasn't staying up to date with what is going on in the competitive world. Not so much even with the evolution of courses, but also with new rules and regs for each venue.

Also, I think you should always be striving to be better and encourage your students to take as many outside seminars as possible and get them to learn from other people. Don't just go to shows with your students to show your dog, but walk courses with them and discuss strategy.

My current instructor does all this despite showing 2 of her own dogs at the show. She doesn't always see all of our runs, but she will take the time to help us and always answers our question.

Oh and if you are going to do agility - have GOOD equipment. Competition standard. I am having tire issues with my dog currently bc USDAA changed their regs on the tire and our former place did not have a regulation tire for us to practice in. He's getting better, but it's still iffy.

I hope this helps.

Yes thanks... I've got several years of training,but am asking in part because this would be a fun thing to do one day and I'm not sure I'm happy with my club and their training. I just went for an evaluation from a very professionally run training facility that I think I'm going to start with. There are gaps I've found in my trainers and I want to better with a future program.

is there a market for these sports? I see it growing... anything about the pros cons of this potential endeavour?

Do you think the certification s help that much or is it mainly your experience and titles? Is it hard to find students?

Not a dog trainer but we do have a dog in training mainly because she needed a job to do. We looked for a trainer that has the same thoughts as we have had with our horses, that positive reenforcement has best results.

I am not a dog trainer, but my own dog trainer is a graduate of the Karen Pryor Academy. I would pay more if I knew a trainer was certified with her training methods than someone who says they just have "experience."
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

3 members found this post helpful.

I train my dogs myself and compete in agility and rally. may try obedience with the new guy. My agility instructor works on handler skills, walking courses, running, crosses how options for handling things and such. She is awesome, and very patient. If your going to train dogs I think you need to prove you can handle the different breeds. If your going to train dogs you need to deal with the owners. I look for someone who has competed, and treats my dogs the way I do and has more then one way of doing things.

1 members found this post helpful.

if you're just barely starting to compete, why are you thinking about offering training? the instructors I work with have been competing at the highest levels for many years with multiple dogs, and attract students because of their obvious skills. I would never take a class from someone who hasn't taken at least two dogs to the very top of a sport. And the idea that relative beginners can teach "beginner" classes is backwards- beginner classes are the most important classes, and only highly skilled people should teach them. How you start out with your dog is the most important factor in success.

1 members found this post helpful.