The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how to lace boots with laces/grommets all the way up the leg?

I just lucked into a very cool a pair of schooling boots. They have typical field boot type lacing on the foot, but the lacing continues up the shin bone - only there are vertical pairs of holes on one side, and a speed lace type grommet on the other side for each pair of holes. I guess you pull the lace from between the pair of holes over to the grommet in a v shape....

Anyway, I have no idea how to tie off the lace up (or down?) the shin. There are holes only on one side at the top - the top pair of holes. The current lace has a knot at the bottom set of holes and I guess the owner tightened it to the top then tied it off somehow - but how? The 75" laces I bought are not long enough to do like you would a traditional field boot with the laces at the ankle. No matter how I plan it, the two ends of the leg part of the lacing wind up at opposite ends - one at the top, one at the bottom.
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ots/photo1.jpg
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ots/photo2.jpg

Them's gorgeous boots. Get the laces that are super long. They can be hard to find - try 108". It sounds as if they might have been laced like English field boots instead of work boots. They are so beautiful, they're worth all this trouble.
    Last edited by Pat9; May. 29, 2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: aargh
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Gorgeous! I expected boots more like mine, but what a cool surprise! (Mine are similar to these but black and Vogel... http://www.parlanti.com/collections/boots/roma-caccia/ )
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

OOOH! those are NICE! Mine are Dehners, custom for someone. I wound up using two laces - short on bottom, then long on top. I laced the bottom like sneakers, so the bow is in the right place. I started the top lacing at the bottom of the shaft, equal lengths on each side, then ran them both up the holes, alternating sets - so the left lace has hole pairs/grommet 1-3-5, the right lace has 2-4-6. At the top I adjusted it so each comes out at the space between the top two sets of holes, so I can tie it there.

When I tried to use just one lace, similar to traditional field boots lacing, when I tightened the top, it pulled the top down....

I used plain brown round laces. Now I am going to look for blue laces or very thin paracord. (Regular paracord is too fat for the grommets.) Why not have fun?

I'll get a pic tomorrow when I have them on....