The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default Spinoff #1 Who despises GPS?

Good directions with landmarks and a good paper map is all I ever want. I have seen people drive around the block three times past the car dealership that you could plainly SEE from the road, because their GPS told them to.

And they WILL LIE to you!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

Didn't we have some stories about that a while back? The Japanese tourists that drove on out into a strait because their GPS obligingly gave them the best route to an island? They have their uses and they are more accurate nowadays but nothing beats LOOKING.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I use it WITH paper directions so I am covered. i generally do not trust it, and it took me a while before I figured out if the road just curved it would say "Turn LEFT or RIGHT, when it was really a curve. I despise GPS people who will NOT LISTEN when you tell them NOT to use GPS to get to your house and to follow directions. They say "what is your address?" and stop listening when you explain why they should not use GPS. Then they call you mad because they cannot find your house.

My favorite is the truck driver who dutifully followed his gps' instructions to turn left, drove onto a bike path and got his truck stuck between two trees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

GPS saved my marriage. No lie. Now we yell at Sandy the GPS instead of each other. Map + unfamiliar city + heavy traffic + non-contiguous pages? Oy. Marital hell. Add in non-Roman alphabet and bad/no street signs and it's Divorce City, dead ahead.

We always carry a map backup, but you will never get me to let loose of my GPS. I heart her.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

They're useful sometimes, but not when you're driving with a friend (me) to a restaurant you've been to a million times before. Every other second, the conversation gets interrupted, first by the dulcet tones of the GPS and then by the moment of fond silence as the driver beams at her little buddy, and the moment of irritated silence as I try to remember what I was saying before R2D2 there spoke up. So, yes, in general I hate the GPS. Like the cell phone and the ipod, they're lovely technologies which have unfortunately been used to allow for extreme self-centeredness and rudeness.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's a crapshoot. I like GPS because it will let me know when I'm on the final street how much farther my destination is, so that I'm not spending fifteen minutes looking at every thing I'm passing on both sides--I can know it's half a mile ahead on the right. On the other hand, I had it direct me onto a Thruway entrance ramp that was directly above my destination before, then cheerfully announce that I was there. No, I wasn't, I was headed toward Albany, and I wasn't about to drive off a bridge to pull into the destination's parking lot...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I like my GPS so I can get a rough idea of how much farther I have to go on that particular road. I do have maps and back up directions, just in case, and with my GPS system's newfound obsession with Scranton, I may be revising my stance soon...

I forgot to add how much I wish GPS had an "avoid ghetto" option.

7 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I forgot to add how much I wish GPS had an "avoid ghetto" option.
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! And maybe "paved or not"
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

They are good for some things, But I tell you even though I have an up to date map, in rural areas where I live, It still tells me my street goes through the woods! LOL
    They do lie! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

People come up here without paper maps thinking their GPS is everything, not realizing that they are going places without any signal.

They also don't realize that even if the map is accurate in terms of roads and terrain, they tend not to be all that accurate about where the house is in rural areas, making it hard to find the correct driveway.

They're nice and they're very helpful in many situations. But I will always carry paper maps.

In rural areas like mine, I also call ahead for directions, very specific ones, as well as a house number. I need both! My daughter was rolling her eyes when I made her call a friend for directions to friend's house, and was very apologetic about how STUPID and TIMID her mom was, could we please have directions? But I can't tell you how many times I've been lost in my own neighborhood trying to figure out whether this was the right driveway... and then which of the 5 houses on it were the right one!

I was talking with a woman who was new to the area who was looking at rentals and she was telling them, "I don't need directions, I have my GPS." She was right off the plane from NYC. I took the time to tell her that in this area, by the time she realized her GPS wouldn't get her there, that her cell phone wouldn't have reception either... let the person give you directions!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I will never forget being stranded on a section of I-10 West between Palm Desert and Palm Springs where none of the exits go anyplace useful. I had been stuck there for literally about 3 hours when I invoked the GPS app on my phone to see if I could get traffic info that would show when the snarl might clear up. It plotted my current location as square in the middle of a golf course. I've had little faith in GPS technology since.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    I will never forget being stranded on a section of I-10 West between Palm Desert and Palm Springs where none of the exits go anyplace useful. I had been stuck there for literally about 3 hours when I invoked the GPS app on my phone to see if I could get traffic info that would show when the snarl might clear up. It plotted my current location as square in the middle of a golf course. I've had little faith in GPS technology since.
    I once had a GPS system that didn't have updated maps, so it thought that the on-ramp for a particular highway was on the opposite side of the road from where it really was.. when I got on said ramp, the GPS would show my car tumbling and rolling off the road. It always made me laugh, but never struck me as particularly useful!

My old phone's GPS, toward the end of its lifespan, located us in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Every time.

I'm a paper map lover, all the way. Well, Google maps these days, but I don't allow it to plan my routes for me. I study the map and do that myself. If there are tricky intersections or complicated interchanges I will use the Street View option to check out what the area looks like in advance. I do print the maps out but I am pretty good at memorizing my route and not even needing to look at them then. When it's all in my head I don't have to worry about the distraction of trying to read, look at, or listen to directions.

I also carry a US Atlas, paper maps of this & nearby states, and a detailed map book of my county.

I know people who cannot get to a place where they go often, or even DAILY, without their GPS because they follow it every time. It's just plain ridiculous. I've seen big trucks or people pulling trailers go down narrow, windy, or dangerous roads because that's where the GPS sent them even though there is a less direct but safer route available.

They have their uses, but my husband's will be the cause of our divorce, not the savior of it. After a recent vacation with DH and his family (which brings out the worst in DH), involving sitting in the parking lot for 10 minutes every time we got in the car while DH puttered around with input of addresses and queries about fastest-to-get-to gas station (the one in sight about a mile away apparently not being good enough), etc., and heaven forbid you spoke while GPS lady was speaking, I yelled at DH that the only woman he respected was the GPS lady.

I like paper maps better, and find that memory for directions is much lower when you're relying on the GPS than if you're relying on a map, but, they can confirm where you are and what to do, after you've figured it out on a paper map/via written directions.

Our house doesn't even exist on GPS. I hate them, hate riding with people who have them and fear for the continuation of our species since nobody can add, spell or read a map anymore!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I hate them. I will use the feature on my phone to show me where something is, but will figure out how to get there on my own.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Our house doesn't even exist on GPS. I hate them, hate riding with people who have them and fear for the continuation of our species since nobody can add, spell or read a map anymore!
    This!!! Totally agree!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.