The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sardines?

I know that they are supposed to be good for me. They even look a little intriguing, and I like mustard, which they come in. Mama said just put them on a cracker, they're wonderful. I opened them, took out the bones (yes, I know, you can eat them. YOU can) and put them on a cracker, full of anticipation and delight that I was eating such a healthy source of whatever. They're AWFUL!!! And they made my whole office stink so badly my boss almost fired me Is there some way that makes these things taste good, or is it one of those 'You either do or don't' things?
    Quarry Rat

I buy the ones packed in water. (Have some of the mustard-packed ones, for a friend, just haven't opened them yet.)

Yes, they smell fishy (yum! but probably not for at work). I like to open the tin, sit on the kitchen floor, and share them with the kittehs.

It may just be that you just don't like them. But before you give up on them, try the ones packed in water (and maybe I will go home and try my mustardy ones and see what I think!)

The tins say something about Omega-something somethings, which I believe is something good for you?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

See, I think the water would be even worse, because then it would be JUST the fishy fish... I like tuna alright, but these were like tuna's old dirty cousin to me... Surely I'm missing something... Sadly, I have no kitties with whom to share so they were wasted
    Quarry Rat

I make a sardine sandwich of them.
    Put a few between two pieces of bread and if you want more, add whatever you have around, tomatoes, pickles, black olives, whatever and go ahead, they are good and good for you.
    Don't forget some garlic if you like it.

I am allergic to soy, so am careful not to get any that has soy oil/sauce in it, mostly get the mustard ones.

Growing up, we didn't have refrigerators or much canned stuff and it was very expensive.
    When sardines would have runs and the boats came full of them in the am into the harbor, we used to buy them, clean them and put them in layers of previously made tomato sauce and eat them from that.
    They were also good in big potato omelettes, along with some kind of vegetable, green beans we blanched and strung up to dry in the attic, tomato sauce, etc.

Hmmm. Bread, tomato sauce... Maybe, say, on some garlic bread with tomato sauce and cheese grilled up? Not that I absolutely have to eat them, but I, er, might have a fair few cans in the pantry still and they might stare at me every time I open the door....
    Quarry Rat

Get the ones in tomato sauce and put them on a warm French roll.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't remember having tried cheese with sardines, but maybe some cheeses would go with them?

I heard you on some canned stuff franticly waving at you for attention, the longer they are kept in there.

I like the tomato ones better - but really, not everyone is going to love them. I grew up on seafood and like "very fishy" fish - like Mackerel and herring. Sardines are also quite "fishy" - basically most fish that is high in oil (the good for you stuff) is going to have a strong flavor. I can get canned sardines down - but I am not wild about them. It might grow on you, it might not!

I live in a coastal town - and sardines "run" around here (one of the main catches). FRESH sardines grilled are a whole different ball game then canned ones.

Grilled, with salt, pepper and lemon? YES PLEASE - those are really good.

Grilled

IOn Toast

I can hear them: "Eeeeeat me! There are six cans of me in here! No, really, we'll taste better a second time around!"

I shall try warm french bread, we'll see...
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I like the tomato ones better - but really, not everyone is going to love them. I grew up on seafood and like "very fishy" fish - like Mackerel and herring. Sardines are also quite "fishy" - basically most fish that is high in oil (the good for you stuff) is going to have a strong flavor. I can get canned sardines down - but I am not wild about them. It might grow on you, it might not!

I live in a coastal town - and sardines "run" around here (one of the main catches). FRESH sardines grilled are a whole different ball game then canned ones.

Grilled, with salt, pepper and lemon? YES PLEASE - those are really good.

Grilled

IOn Toast
    Don't forget the olive oil and yes, grilled with a few light spices, along with some fresh clams, makes them wonderful, you forget they are fish.

I ADORE them, & always have a number of cans on hand at all times - packed in olive oil, mustard, hot sauce, with Jalapenos, etc., etc. I NEVER buy the ones packed in just water - frankly, those are like eating cat food.

Apart from eating straight out of the can, my favorite way of enjoying is one that was my mother's favorite as well - a Sardine & Onion sandwich. Simply oil-packed sardines mashed on their own or with just a dab of mayo, piled onto a lettuce-lined crusty roll with a thin slice or two of red onion. Heaven. Needless to say, this was/is a sandwich to be enjoyed AT HOME. Mom would NEVER have sent me to school with it (nor would I take it to work with me).

Sardines packed with special "sauces" I always enjoy straight from the can or on a bed of chopped lettuce.

Get the water-packed small ones, chop up some onion (not those wussy Vidalias -- use the white ones that cause your smoke alarm to jump off the ceiling and run out the back door), add a touch of crushed garlic, lemon juice, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mash together ("smoosh" might be a good word here) and serve on saltine crackers. Good fish- or deer-camp fare.

Vinegar can be substituted for the lemon juice.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Yes, any sardines, crumbled and added to light salads, like we do tuna fish, are good also with italian dressing.

I shall try mooshing!
    Quarry Rat

Yes, sardines are a "fishy" fish.

My favorite way to eat them is to fry them up (prefer the ones just in olive oil, but I've done the tamato and mustard ones too), then dump egg over them and do an egg-sardine scramble protein bomb

Ah, just donate them at the next food drive or feed them to the barn cats. That way they'll be out of your pantry and you won't be forced to eat them.

You don't understand, wireweiners, I cannot admit defeat! If, after the second can I still cannot stand them, I will inflict them upon the poor people at the pantry...
    Quarry Rat

Oooh sardines! Love them. Thanks for reminding me that I need to replenish my stock!
    I prefer the small-small ones packed in water, or olive oil, or in mediterranean sauce. I eat them straight out of the can
    A sardine on buttered fresh baguette....YUM! Reminds me of my childhood...lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Get the ones in hot sauce! Yum!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I just don't like sardines. (Which is odd, as raw mackerel or pickled herring are not a problem.) Find fish you like!

I do like kippered herring on crackers. But apparently that's even more of an acquired taste than sardines.