The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I quit smoking with e-cigs...UPDATE.

Update: This is the most awesome thing ever for me. I still have not smoked a cigarette since May 10th. A few weeks ago I lit one up from that open pack on the dash of my car, just to see if it was as good as I remembered. Um, no. It was horrid! Took two drags and put it out. Gag!

I can breathe so much better. When we square baled hay this year I didn't think I was going to die like in years past. I can ride my horse without getting winded. I have much more energy.

The chronic cough is gone, my teeth are whiter, and the tobacco stains on my fingers are gone.

If anybody here is still struggling with smoking, I encourage you to give vaping a try.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So a few weeks ago I stopped in my local smoke shop for a carton of smokes. On a whim I also bought a cheap e-cig for $8. I took a drag when I got in the car and said to DH "This could work!" I can't remember how many real cigs I smoked that day but it wasn't many.

I got an $8 pack of re-fill cartridges for my $8 e-cig, and ordered a better starter kit online. In the 6 days it took to get here, I only smoked 2 packs of cigs, which is a whole lot better than a bit over a pack a day.

Since the 10th I have smoked ZERO real cigs, and it hasn't even been painful! I already feel better and can breathe better. My office and car no longer reek like dirty ashtray. I have an open pack of smokes and a lighter on the dash of my car, and have no desire to light one up.

Maybe it's not "true" quitting, but I think it's certainly a better alternative to products of combustion. I told the one very anti-smoking doctor that I work with about my success, expecting him to say something derogatory. To my surprise, he didn't- he said "It's a step in the right direction." I figure in another month or so, I'll start lowering the nicotine content of the juice and hopefully get down to zero.
    Last edited by shakeytails; Aug. 8, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

10 members found this post helpful.

Good luck with it!!
    Alis volat propriis.

Congratulations! And good luck!

I want to tell my friend about your experience. Just the other day an e-mail about e-cigs showed up in my inbox and I thought about forwarding it to my friend but didn't want to 'til I asked if he was interested (besides, his inbox gets so jammed with work-related e-mails ...!)

But this I can tell him in conversation.

Let us know how it goes, shakeytails!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Congrats! And good luck for the future! I wish to goodness my in-laws would quit and my FIL has tried so many times but can't seem to get it to stick...

Just makes me want to encourage anyone trying (it might help!) so to you!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Glad you posted!!!! I've been eyeing those e-cigs for quite a while.....but it scares me that I will fail to stop smoking "real" cigs....

You give me some inspiration!!!!

Thanks

2 members found this post helpful.

Noodles, just do it! The brand I got (to start) was Clayton- the "express starter kit"- which comes with one cartridge and a usb charger. Around here in the tobacco shops they sell for $7.99. They say one cartridge is the equivalent of 2 packs of smokes...they lie... it's more like one, maybe. Anyway, you can pop the top off and refill the carts for at least a few times to save some $$.

For me it satisfies the oral/hand thing and I still get to blow "smoke". And I'm still getting the nicotine, minus the hundreds of other nasties that are in real cigarettes. Heck I really think I'm addicted more to the habit than I am to the nicotine anyway.
    Last edited by shakeytails; May. 29, 2013 at 08:19 PM.

Good for you and good luck!!
    I used those a little as well when I quit. It's well worth it to quit.
    I was smoking at least 2 packs a day.
    If you need the smoking equivalent of an AA sponsor - let me know I'm happy to help!!

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Noodles, just do it! The brand I got was Clayton- the "express starter kit"- which comes with one cartridge and a usb charger. Around here in the tobacco shops they sell for $7.99. They say one cartridge is the equivalent of 2 packs of smokes...they lie... it's more like one, maybe. Anyway, you can pop the top off and refill the carts for at least a few times to save some $$.

For me it satisfies the oral/hand thing and I still get to blow "smoke". And I'm still getting the nicotine, minus the hundreds of other nasties that are in real cigarettes. Heck I really think I'm addicted more to the habit than I am to the nicotine anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Good for you!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Check it out, check out the ingredients.
    The glycol-whatever is extremely toxic to cats.
    My cat, who had no problem with cigarette smoke, wrinkled her nose and backed out of the room. So I researched it and found out about the toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Check it out, check out the ingredients.
    The glycol-whatever is extremely toxic to cats.
    My cat, who had no problem with cigarette smoke, wrinkled her nose and backed out of the room. So I researched it and found out about the toxicity.
    Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine and flavorings. I've been making DIY juice to save money and it makes it easier to lower the nicotine content of the liquid.

As far as PG being "extremely" toxic to cats, not exactly. It's not used in cat food as it can shorten the lifespan of RBCs in cats and could cause anemia. A broad statement such as that is very scare-mongerish and about as silly as "Don't you know that's anti-freeze?" Anti-freeze is traditionally ethylene glycol, and is a toxic substance. Recently, propylene glycol has been used because it is non-toxic and more environmentally friendly.

Good luck with your continued success!

I quit smoking 25 years ago cold turkey.
    I was having a really bad day early on and smoked a few during lunch break after having given it up for a few weeks. I had a terrible reaction to the nicotine where I got nauseous, started sweating and my heart was racing. It took about an hour before I started feeling better.
    I never touched another cigarette again.

I'm posting this as I remember reading somewhere that my reaction could have been hazardous to my life as in nicotine poisoning. I also can no longer tolerate being near anyone who is smoking without becoming instantly nauseous. I'm not sure why, but in my case, my body became intolerant within a few weeks of quitting.
    Just want you to be aware if you don't already know.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning

I know several that quit smoking with those filters for cigarettes they sold 30 years ago.
    You used their filters for a week each, having to clean them several times a day after you smoked.
    After the forth week, everyone I know quit rather easily, the last filter needed to be cleaned practically after every cigarette.

I wish it was this easy to get DH to quit tobacco. He's chews AND smokes. No, not at the same time, but both during the day.

He has chewed since he was like...a toddler.

He says he only has two cigarettes a day, but that was when he was in "his truck" (the truck he had when we got together), and he smoked one to work and one home. He stunk, his uniform stunk, just gross . When we bought the new truck a couple months ago, I told him absolutely NO SMOKING in the new truck. Then he got busted last week and tried to lie, but the nose knows. Cigarettes are no longer in the truck...but he still smokes, so probably at work. Which means probably more, since they are at hand. And chews.

I asked him about the e-cig, and he said it's not the nicotine, it's the taste of the tobacco he likes. Ugh.

I swear he has the most expensive habits...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I swear he has the most expensive habits...
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Ok, what kind of e-cig are you using, and are you still using nicotine or are you off nicotine now?
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Ok, what kind of e-cig are you using, and are you still using nicotine or are you off nicotine now?
    Right now I'm using an ego type battery with evod heads. I also have one of these - it's like an ego on steroids- that I love because it's tough and the battery lasts forever. I still use my "cig-a-like" e-cigs occasionally.

As for nicotine- I started at 1.8% nic, and most of my juices are at that level. But when mixing my DIY recipes, I just started mixing my test batches at 1.2% so I don't waste nicotine if they taste horrible. I don't notice a difference when using the 1.2%, so any future batches will be at the lower level.

Nicotine really isn't much, if any, worse than caffeine anyway. By itself, it's not a known carcinogen. We've all been conditioned to think that because it's usually delivery system, smoking, is.

I quit using Chantix, just a little over 4 months ago. Won't lie: I STILL miss smoking sometimes even though the cravings are gone and it no longer stresses me out to not smoke. But I feel SO much better; it's amazing. And I was not a heavy smoker - for the past 10 years or so it's only been around a 1/2 pack a day.

I did give e-cigs some serious consideration. But one of the reasons I wanted to quit was to avoid what I call Cat Butt Mouth, that wrinkly pursed look longtime smokers get around their mouths from sucking on the cigs. (My sister once remarked of an acquaintance who smoked that her mouth "looks like the cat's anus." That's where Cat Butt Mouth comes from). Thus I decided to pass on the e-cigs.

"Cat Butt Mouth" is freaking hilarious!

Chantix did work for me, mostly but not completely. It's expensive and my prescription coverage sucks. It was cheaper and less stressful for me to smoke.

Thanks for the update, shakeytails. I think I'm gonna tell my friend about this thread.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    FWIW, he has horses too!! Other than my small candle problem, I have no expensive habits. I drink water from home; he drinks soda and energy drinks and coffee. I don't smoke or drink; he smokes, drinks a beer or two a night, and chews 'baccy. But yeah, if he didn't have two horses, I'd have no room to complain .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.