The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I spoke with Micro on the phone, and the news is great!

Both horses were pulled by AC, and are both doing well in their new homes. They are no longer in need of serious help. The Craigslist ad was from May 15.

It's great to know that COTHers CAN throw something together quickly and now we know the proper channels to go through to get things done legally and effectively, should we need to do something like this again.

If I wanted the mare, after AC pulled her, she would have to be in their care for a month, after which time I could buy her at auction. The horse can go directly to a rescue or foster situation without a coggins/HC (which I assume that this mare did not have) however it cannot go out of state or to a private facility without such. A vet would not have granted a HC immediately to this mare, should I have picked her up myself. Really, having the horse seized by AC (in this scenario) was the best thing for her, as they would work to get her in shape to travel, the proper legal paper trail would have been laid down, and the best interests of the mare would remain at heart. Which is what happened.

A good ending all around, I'd say!
    Last edited by Superminion; May. 30, 2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I ran into the AC officer that responded and all is well. The horses are not atthe AC facility but in private homes with AC's blessing to avoid the required auction. He also said that the grey was removed but the Appy is there and looks much better. wish I could show you the picture. He saw pictures of when the Appy first got here and he looked like the mare. The owner (a guy, actually) had been feeding him up already and got the mare very recently. They were actually rescues. A few pointers helped the Appy gelding stay in place and get the care he needed. If you go back and read the investigator's response, it never says that they removed the gelding. I misunderstood, so I wanted everything to be clear. Please don't contact the guy. He has been getting slammed unnecessarily. AC understands our community and works with people to find solutions. The investigator and the officer will keep following up to ensure the gelding does alright.
    Last edited by microbovine; May. 30, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

You know, even though we weren't needed, I found out that we have an awesome posse of people to help horses in need in North Florida. I also learned how the local officials work and how to work with them. AC also recommended a local rescue they work with (I have hauled for them before so I knew them). Nice speaking with you, Lynnwood and Superminion! Thank you the other local folks that offered to help on such short notice.

War veteran

3 members found this post helpful.

This makes me happy. Thank you all for your help in getting these horses some good help.

Great outcome!!

I'm confused...where is the gelding? it sounds like he is still with the advertising owner? is he still for sale? has the guy had him since Nov? It doesn't take THAT long to feed up a horse even with very conservative re-feeding program.

Sounds like the mare was moved privately...within FL you don't need a health certif. but you DO need a Coggins and we can only hope that there was one. If owner rescued the horse in Nov. there is a possibility that an old Coggins was still valid. Or she was moved without one and AC isn't concerned and/or one will be done.

Lots of speculation going on...but it sounds like the horses are being monitored and hopefully will get the help they need.

I'm confused, too. Did AC pull the grey? Does AC know where it is? I read on Facebook several days ago by someone who contacted the owner, and the owner said he "got rid of" it.

The owner still has the appy and is now going to keep him?

So why are both Craigslist ads still up?
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/3806792270.html
    http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/3728794982.html

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    I ran into the AC officer that responded and all is well. The horses are not at the AC facility but in private homes with AC's blessing to avoid the required auction. He also said that the grey was removed but the Appy is there and looks much better. wish I could show you the picture. He saw pictures of when the Appy first got here and he looked like the mare. The owner (a guy, actually) had been feeding him up already and got the mare very recently. They were actually rescues. A few pointers helped the Appy gelding stay in place and get the care he needed. If you go back and read the investigator's response, it never says that they removed the gelding. I misunderstood, so I wanted everything to be clear. Please don't contact the guy. He has been getting slammed unnecessarily. AC understands our community and works with people to find solutions. The investigator and the officer will keep following up to ensure the gelding does alright.
    You "ran into" the AC officer? I thought you were in direct contact and working with him/her on this?

And both Craigslist ads are still up. If the owner is being "slammed unnecessarily", why doesn't he delete the ads?

I'm just hoping AC isn't glossing over the situation as a way to get out of doing anything. This fear is based upon the attitude the AC in my area shows sometimes when it comes to "livestock".

I'm still worried about both of these horses.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

The gray was pulled and the investigator (who is more of a desk person), responded to my email saying both horses were pulled. Meanwhile, on the way home yesterday, I stopped by the feed store and the AC officer showed up. I asked him about the case. It turned out that he was the one monitoring the horses and gave me the correct information.

The gray is at a different farm (remember that AC can move horses without a Coggins or they can be moved to a rescue. The Department of Ag controls this, BTW, not AC. They grant permits to rescues and LE). The gelding remained with the owner and has been fattened up quite a bit. AC will continue to monitor him. I don't know if I can share the picture or not, but he looks better after just a week.

Why is the ad still up? Because many people don't take their ads down. Shoot, that reminds me, I should probably take down that cow ad I posted a month ago...

The horses are fine. It's hard to let go sometimes, especially when the folks here probably take much better care of their horses than average, but we have to. The gray is in competent hands and has seen a vet. I actually know this AC officer. The people at the feed store know him very well and he's a good guy. The owner really did take in these horses from someone else. The gelding looked like the mare when he first got there. The horses went from bad to better. The gray was taken in by the owner more recently. The gray was removed from the owner's property, partly because she is pretty wild. Now, with a little education, the gelding is improving much faster.

War veteran

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the update, MB.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I live in va and stay at home with my son. If I could get her delivered here I would take her in a heartbeat!!

Default poor horse

I live in va and stay at home with my son. If I could get her delivered here I would take her in a heartbeat!!