The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Holy crap, this is depressing. Not sure I'm buying the whole "they were rescued" thing given their present weights and living conditions. Perhaps seller can't afford to feed them anymore and is too embarassed to say so?

If no one is able to take them, does anyone in the area know who to contact about neglect cases? We just had a terrible situation in WI (many threads on it) where they discovered 40+ dead horses at one farm...it would be nice if the proper authorities could get involved BEFORE the horses end up dead. These two seem like possible candidates for "official" intervention...the first one for sure...

I'm Local to the area and willing to chip in help transport etc. Willing to go see the mare /make contact if we can drum something up.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

This is in my county and it will be handled. Privately. Everyone back off. I will update when something has been done.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    This is in my county and it will be handled. Privately. Everyone back off. I will update when something has been done.
    Whoa. That was dramatic and a little uncalled for, but I am glad to hear that something is being done...

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Who /what makes you the authority on this ? Glad the mare might be getting help but dear lord learn some manners.

7 members found this post helpful.

Care to elaborate on what is being done and why you don't think it is appropriate to get AC involved despite the fact that I've seen you advocate for AC involvement on other threads?

That first horse is remarkably starved, so I don't think it is surprising that people are wanting to do something to make sure this horse gets some help.

4 members found this post helpful.

Also glad to hear something will be done. But telling people to back off who haven't really done anything other than post offers to chip in some money is a little bitchy. Chill out. Hope both horses and any others get some help ASAP.
    Last edited by cloudy18; May. 29, 2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Grammar

10 members found this post helpful.

Just clarifying for microbovine it is also "my county". Not sure what this had to do with the price of tea in china but w/e

I don't know if she would survive the trip right now, but she has a home here if we can get some weight on her. I have access to truck/trailer and can meet somebody halfway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

5 members found this post helpful.

And someone actually told me that CoH is NOT full of snotty people. Geeze, we are only trying to HELP!!. Hope to hear SOON that something has been done. I'm not far away in Ocala. Will help if allowed!!

OK but......since someone on this thread will take her, maybe it would be better for the horse to be taken by someone who will send her on up to KY, with our help for expenses.

AC can only do so much. I don't know what FL does, but in GA the state ag dept. takes them and tries to rehab them and then auctions them off. If we can get her a stable home, that would be better for the horse. (Although sometimes county AC doesn't contact the state and lets people take horses locally, and the horses end up dead because they are overfed.)

And an appy and not grey, I thought she was grey. She's what, west of Green Cove Springs?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes CC shes just west of Green Cove. I as are a handful of my friends willing to help chip in with finances and trailering if need be to help her out.

I know in the past Clay County has done a good job monitoring , rehabbing but in this case considering the horse is a give away I am unsure how it will be handled. I personally would rather just see the mare pulled privately but also believe the authorities should be involved.

I hope to give you guys good news by tomorrow evening. Sorry for my abruptness earlier. I was afraid things might go...badly if too many people jumped in at once.

War veteran

Just saw this, I've been working way too many hours this week.

Micro, if you have this handled, I'll stay out of it. However, I can help with this poor thing. I'm in Jax, and have room right now. (Ok, providing I'm not getting a TW...)

Just let me know.

Lorilu and Arrows, both very kind offers. I will pass those on when I follow up tomorrow.

War veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    Just saw this, I've been working way too many hours this week.

Micro, if you have this handled, I'll stay out of it. However, I can help with this poor thing. I'm in Jax, and have room right now. (Ok, providing I'm not getting a TW...)

Just let me know.
    Oh right, I was trying to remember who volunteered in Jax to take the TWH.
    OK so microbovine will work with Clay County. And Lynnwood and her friends will help with if Arrows Endure will foster. Or will AEndure keep the mare? Otherwise we can chip in to send her to Superminion (I think she volunteered for mare?) when she's a little more stable. Oh I missed lorilu. so whomever can take mare if Clay County can get mare into foster care, then let us know what is necessary to either ship her somewhere, or if she stays in FL, to help with vet, farrier, etc.

OK I'll stand buy with paypal.

Thank you.

War veteran

I'm working a local place to put her until she can get up to Superminion. I have 2 local friends placing calls.

2 members found this post helpful.

SEE we can all get along <smiles >
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...tzf8o1_500.gif

LOL! Yeah, I was a bit spun up already when I checked in. My fault.

For anyone serious about fostering (there may be two horses), or contributing for feed, etc... please PM me your name and daytime phone number and I will get answers and action tomorrow morning. Expect a call between 10:00 and noon regardless (unless you tell me you don't wish for one) to let you know what's happening. Be warned, however, our local AC doesn't take cash. I can go and buy feed for them (if they need it) and drop it off, but they can't take cash.

War veteran