The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I wish you were in Texas, the property market here seems to be white hot. My friend listed her house yesterday and had a contract on it before 7pm last night. I'm seeing tons of listings selling within days of going up as well.

Definitely double check your photos and get your realtor to add interior photos. Make sure everything is as non-cluttered as possible, no visible signs that an animal lives inside, etc...
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

A really good Realtor makes all the difference. We sold our house in Baltimore in one day. Now this was in 2006 before the housing collapse, but she had it pre-sold before it hit the market. It did show like a model, no evidence of animals (we had two dogs)...really really stripped everything down. Nothing personal, landscaping was fresh. New carpet.

But the difference was the Realtor. She went on to sell 4 other houses on our block. She was just that good. You want the top agent at the office and you need to listen to whatever they tell you to do to sell it fast.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Your Realtor should have done a 'Market Analysis' which should show 3 comps listed and 3 sold making adjustments for differences. Then price it right...if you think the price might be high...don't get greedy...it may cost you in the long run. And if you want to be competitive, be sure it is staged, depersonalized, has great curb appeal and if you want to cover all your bases:

http://www.discountcatholicproducts....P8485C398.aspx
    Last edited by uphill; May. 29, 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling

My parents just accepted an offer after about three weeks after being relisted. They had it listed for over three months had 1,000,001 showings and three absolutely ridiculous offers. One from an investor who wanted it for nothing. And two more from people who needed so much money back and had so many contingencies, that it did not work. Their home is/was listed a price less than what the two neighboring homes with less amenities and less upgrades sold for at the height of the bottom. Upgrades are all neutral and it is a perfect first -time buyer home. Inventory is low, but in my experience buyers are picky and just aren't qualified enough to buy.

From the marketing standpoint. I have been doing comps for an investor out in California. What I have noticed in that market (LA area) is that 6-800 sq.ft. homes are selling in days for more than list price. They are immaculate, modern, staged, and practically new. They have a ton of glossy photos to back it up. When I look at other sale properties and I see a picture of the exterior and maybe one or two inside shots, I wonder what they are hiding. Also, "lived-in" homes, even if they have all the same upgrades, just don't sell as quickly or for as nice a price as the vacant, sparkly and recently remodeled home. Owner-occupied homes that mimic the staged, sparkly, remodeled investor homes sell quickest.

In my experience, the HGTV and DIY channels have made it very hard for the average person to sell a home. To sell quickly and/or for a good price, you must have your home in like new, staged condition with all the modern upgrades. Anything less will cost you time and money on the sale of your home. Buyers are picky and many, especially, first-time homebuyers, do not qualify for their mortgages.

2 members found this post helpful.

One less-than-ethical tactic my friends ran into was when the full price offer, with good financing, and didn't have a place to sell tried to knock down the price after inspection. The buyers didn't want money for the few minor things that the inspector found, but the sellers corrected. The buyers tried to make my friends replace anything that wasn't brand new, including the deck, which had just been redone, and other things. My friends agreed to replace the older roof, and that was it. The buyers paid full price, and backed off after that, but in my mind, asking to have things that work well, and are just a few years old is a pressure tactic.

Don't forget the thread on offering the house on Craigslist. It's worth trying. This is the start of the prime selling time, so don't give up hope. It might be good to pull the house off the MLS for a week or so, and relist, so it doesn't show as on the market forever, because some buyers expect a big discount, and think you're desperate after a long time on the market.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

It's posting season.

Everyone in my unit posted out who has a house is having trouble selling. I've signed a bunch of posting delays for that reason, and some people will have to go IR (imposed restriction, meaning their family stays behind in the home to, hopefully, sell it eventually while the member goes to the new posting on their own).

I don't think Winter Park, Fla has a lot of military families needing to sell homes.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I don't think Winter Park, Fla has a lot of military families needing to sell homes.
    Haha, no. I was replying to the more general "anyone have trouble selling."

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    We are dealing with a listing agent who keeps dropping the ball, and has been downright rude to us and our agent.
    report them to the reality board. that will wake them up!
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

2 members found this post helpful.

Well I do not know about other states, but here in Michigan it is a complete buyers market. And I have been looking for the past 3 months.
    Many of the homes have been on the market for up to a year.
    Nice smaller homes MAny new items including Furnaces Air, Remodeled baths and kitchens, and prices dropped a bunch.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

One thing I find very irritating about HGTV is that they will have a House Hunters episode in a certain town, and the buyers tour the three houses, choose one, and move in. However, I know people who own houses in the same town, have tried to sell for a long time, the price is less, and the house is better than the HH episode house. I only watch that show for entertainment value, because it's not real at all.

It 's very tempting to buy some of these great deals, but there is no resale market, so if something happens, and you try to resell, you can't sell. I hate to see someone buy a place they will be stuck with.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    One thing I find very irritating about HGTV is that they will have a House Hunters episode in a certain town, and the buyers tour the three houses, choose one, and move in. However, I know people who own houses in the same town, have tried to sell for a long time, the price is less, and the house is better than the HH episode house. I only watch that show for entertainment value, because it's not real at all.

It 's very tempting to buy some of these great deals, but there is no resale market, so if something happens, and you try to resell, you can't sell. I hate to see someone buy a place they will be stuck with.
    I agree Jan, I have been so tempted several times, but for that reason alone I have not taken the plunge.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

I keep fantasizing about selling my place. I actually want to downsize (I live alone in a 3-bedroom house), I want to buy a townhouse closer to my horse. I looked at a condo last week that would be perfect. I noticed recently that the prices in my HOA have come up quite a bit from two years ago, so I spoke to the realtor who showed me the townhouse about my house (he is familiar with my community). He was going to do an initial search to see if the current market would support the selling price I would need, one week later and I haven't heard back from him. I'm thinking that probably isn't a very good sign!

I suppose if I want to get serious, I should start interviewing listing agents. I have been doing an overall spruce-up of my home over the past few months, decluttering, painting, revamping cabinets, streamlining stuff, so I could possibly have it ready to list if I keep it up. It's just that the last time I looked into the idea about two years ago it was so depressing! Anyway, I believe we are in a situation here in Southern New Hampshire where the inventory (at least for my price range) is fairly low, so it may be worth looking into.

I actually like my house so am not desperate, but I really would like to be closer to the barn and I find owning a whole house stressful. Rambling here, but am enjoying the conversation.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

We sold my parents' house in a down market in 2010 when my dad moved into assisted living. It was hard work, good advice and planning - and luck!

We used a company that bought estates (hard to think of household stuff as an estate!) and made an arrangement to take part of the stuff upon agreement and the rest when the house sold. So we pared down the furniture, got rid of the clutter, and staged the home to look its best. We cleaned and also hired a professional to get it totally clean. It wasnt really updated but it was beyond our scope to do that!

Agent was okay - not great. She priced it a bit high, I thought. When it didnt sell after 30 days I presuaded my siblings and we lowered the price by $20,000 to the top of lower price bracket. It sold soon after for about $6,000 under asking considering give-backs. There was some silliness with inspections and a couple of honet problems that we fixed. So glad to get it done!

It appears that more house are selling again around here. But it is pretty spotty depending upon the area, type of house, even the weather!

My parents sold their home outside Indianapolis in about 2-3 weeks for the asking price. They had two offers (one $40K BELOW asking, which no) and a third was coming in when they accepted an offer.

That having been said, they had just spent $25k to fix up the kitchen and master bath, recarpet, and repaint most of the house. Since they were already living in their new house, it was a lot easier to do those things. It would still be on the market without those fixes, especially since it is on a corner lot. It looked pristine and brand new and the agent got great pictures.

Two other houses in the same neighborhood have been lingering on the market for MONTHS. One has a pool -- not a huge selling point in the Hoosier state -- and backs up to a busy road, but the inside is nice. The other has a decent inside, and the best lot of the three, but the furniture is so dated and ugly it's ALL you see when you look at the pictures. It did not surprise me that my parents' house sold the fastest.

We'll be looking to sell our current house in VA in the next couple of years. It's rented right now because we can cover the mortgage with rental income and the rental market is pretty hot right now. I can't tell what's going on with sales -- there's almost no inventory, but some reasonably nice properties (not short sales or foreclosures) are sitting longer than I would expect. Maybe the market's still a little screwy.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I'm in Virginia Beach and the housing market has really picked up. We listed our house 2 weeks ago and within 3 days was under contract with 3 offers-2 full price, one over asking and us priced on the higher end of our neighborhood. We had added a beautiful master suite addition and when we moved in years ago, remodeled the kitchen and both bathrooms.

Before listing we completely repainted, redid the hardwood floors and decluttered by getting rid of most of our furniture, keeping the nicest pieces and storing the rest with PODS. We got all personal items such as pictures and toiletries and put the dogs in daycare on showing days. I wanted people to feel as if they were visiting a model home and not skulking through someone's house.

Someone earlier mentioned updated furnishings. Ours were "well loved" and smelled like dogs. So, I purchased high end, gently used furniture and furnishings from Craigslist including dining and living room furniture and gorgeous Persian carpets for a fraction of what they would cost new. We staged the outdoors and indoors. The place looked expensive and turn-key. That was pivotal in selling quickly as we had 11 houses in our neighborhood for sale. Ours showed much better-updated, fresh and open.

We had to sell quickly or carry two mortgages as we had purchased weeks before a turn key farm. What sold us on that farm with a full price offer with no contingency to sell our home? A completely staged, painted and remodeled home which was turn-key. It clued me in to offer the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    People aren't even looking at it because they want XXXX square feet. Our house is 1350 or thereabouts.
    This is not such a bad thing because the people who DO look at your house will be very much more likely to buy. We sold a charming almost new three bedroom house one time and everyone who came through our open house kept saying, "If only it had four bedrooms..." When the realtors started bringing in people, they were serious buyers. It made me realize the value of having a realtor (we had been trying to sell it ourselves).

We are in farm selling misery. 2400 square foot 4 bedroom 2 bath room house. We thought we'd be here forever but husband has been working 3.5 hours away for over 2 years now and it sure would be nice to live together again our house is almost 100 years old and if anything our Realtor's pictures are to good because most of the people that come to look at city/suburban folk that complain about easy cosmetic fixes. We have 83 acres and are out in the country a bit so I know we are looking for a specific buyer, but thus far we've gotten 2 offers from the same crazy woman with the most bizarre unrealistic terms imaginable.

Now after about a year and a half on the market we are about to fix a hunch of silly cosmetic things ( in addition to the over 60k we've spent in the past 4 years) ad then at the end of summer possibly take it off the market for 30 or so days to reset the # of days on market with the MLS.

I am not a crazy clean person and we have 3 large indoor dogs as well as lots of outdoor things. Trying to keep everything spotless all the time is virtually impossible especially by myself. I am exhausted and just ready to be done with it all.

Did anyone actually open this link?

http://www.discountcatholicproducts....P8485C398.aspx

and here is a link to tell you how and where to bury the statue of St Joseph to speed the sale of your house.

http://saint-josephstatue.com/Where_...ph_statue.html

I can't believe there were no comments about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    We did declutter. We rented a 17 foot PODS and filled it to the brim. To the point that other than my books and some of the antiques, I don't want 80% of it back!
    After trying to sell the house last year and taking it off the market after 5 months, we hired on the the town's # 1 realtors, who usually deals in the multi-million dollar lakefront homes. We did everything they suggested...decluttering, re-painting, and more. The only thing we did not do was to take down the wallpaper in the dining room, but we did change the paint color of the lower half of the wall. We have a 4 bedroom/2 bath home with a living room, dining room, inside laundry, family room and the bonus room...office, game room or 5th bedroom. It is about 2600 sf. We have dropped the price to $209,000. It appraised during the worst of times for $240,000. A similar house in the neighborhood is listed at $200,000, but it is smaller. What irritates me is that a smaller house (1000 sf smaller) sold last year in 16 days for $195,000. So trust me, our house is priced appropriately. Yes, we would make money even if we took the offers, as we bought the house in 1994, but we are not going to give the house away. We still have to be able to afford something!
    If your realtors usually sell houses that are very different from yours and much more expensive, maybe they don't have a lot of contacts or the right sort of clients to get a house like yours sold? Might not necessarily be the case but I think it's something you should think about!