The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Is it possible it is under priced Lori T? Maybe not attracting the right buyers? I lived in Orlando before the crash, but houses like yours were selling for double. If someone down the street just sold theirs that was much smaller and not as nice at your price point... Maybe take it off the market for a few months and relist with a new writeup and different pricing?

Yup! We're buying now too. Market here is hot - for new listings that are priced right and are move in ready (up-to-date kitchens and baths, hardwood floors, fresly painted). We lost a bidding war for one last week, and our offer was above list price.

Most of the houses that have been sitting 60-90 days are grossly overpriced, and need some work. Even when they eventually lower the price, they don't move quickly. We've made 3 offers on houses on the market 60+ days, all of which were based upon recent comps in the same neighbrhood - and all of which were declined. I don't know how their realtors came up with their prices, but it doesn't seem to be fact-based. I don't care- and won't overpay - but I wonder sometimes whether it is the owner who is stuck on what they paid for it in a different market, or whether the realtor is deluding the owner about what its worth now.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    Actually, the sign out front says no outlet. To me, this is one of the appeals to our neighborhood. It is one of only 2 in the area that is only accessible by one major road, so there is no cut through traffic! 50 year old on a deadend street is just how I described it here, not in the listing.
    just a note a corner house is the most often broken into as there are multiple avenues of escape

also here is list of why a corner lot home is harder to sell... I suspect the snow removal is not an issue for you... but read the list and see if there any that you can correct

1. Noise, noise, noise. Double street and sidewalk frontage means double the noise from pedestrian and car traffic. Pull up a chair and crack open a cold one; I’m just gettin’ started.

2. Unconventional configurations. For example, the front yard of a home on a corner lot is usually bigger than the back, and the garage may be located around the corner.

3. Yard – lots of it. Larger lots mean more to mow. It’s even worse when the lawn is big but not so large that it justifies buying a riding mower – which is usually the case.

4. Yard – lots of it (Part II). All things being equal, larger lawns have higher landscape costs.

5. More trash to pick up. Cars stopping at a stop sign are more likely to dump their trash on your big front yard. You’re also liable to get more trash because…

6. Corners make great school bus stop locations. Hey, I have kids too. I’m just sayin.’

7. Less privacy. Yes, you have one less neighbor, but in exchange for that you get foot traffic on two sides of the house instead of only one. Trust me, if you’re worried about privacy you’d be better off with the extra neighbor. Speaking of foot traffic…

8. Kids and other pedestrians like to use corner lawns as a shortcut. When given the choice, most people will save 16 seconds of their life by cutting across the front lawn of a corner home. But before you get any bright ideas, just remember this…

9. Less privacy (Part II). Many jurisdictions severely restrict privacy fence heights or prohibit them all together for traffic safety. Even if there are no privacy fence restrictions, corner lot owners have to deal with…

10. Higher fence costs. Having one less neighbor to deal with is terrific! Well, unless you need to borrow a cup of sugar. Or you’re trying to get your neighbors to share the cost of a new fence.

11. Double tax assessments. Because corner lots border streets on two sides, you get hit for twice as many sidewalk and street assessments.

12. Double set-back requirements. Owners of corner lots may be subject to city or other jurisdictional easements or set-back requirements on two sides of their property, rather than just one.

13. More dog poo. Although I haven’t taken the time to do a definitive scientific study, I’m quite certain the probability of an off-leash neighborhood dog pooping on a corner-lot front lawn is 100 percent. Prove me wrong.

14. Greater risk of a car crashing into your house. Okay, I admit it; the probability of this happening is about as likely as Christina Aguilera hiring Taylor Swift as a vocal coach, but it’s hard to argue that it ain’t true.

15. Bigger snow jobs. For those of you who live in colder climes, more sidewalk means more snow to shovel.

16. Less privacy (Part III). Corner lot backyards are exposed to the public. That can be a nuisance if you’re trying to have a private family barbecue – or sunbathe in the nude. (Not that I do that, but to each his own, right?)

17. More light pollution. Increased street lighting and headlights from cars turning corners can be a nuisance.

18. Yard – lots of it (Part III). Folks on corner lots have more leaves to rake – especially those who live downwind from adjacent parks.

19. More vulnerable to burglary. Because there are fewer neighbors surrounding the home and more escape routes – courtesy of streets on two sides – homes on corner lots are bigger burglary targets.

20. More pressure from neighbors and associations. Because corner homes are often considered gateways to streets or cul de sacs and neighborhoods, the appearance of these homes are often held to a higher standard by the community and neighborhood associations.

21. They are harder to sell. Most realtors will tell you that corner lots are tougher to sell.
    http://lenpenzo.com/blog/id1309-21-r...r-suckers.html

Lori T-that's great about the pictures!

Some people down the street from me listed their house, and the ad had a bunch of pictures, but they were dark, fuzzy, and just awful. After almost a year they took it off the market, and then put it back on with the same realtor and the same pictures (I know they were the same because their dog was in most of the pictures). This time it sold, but at a much lower price. I couldn't believe they listed with the same realtor.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

We are listing and I am so afraid this is what is going to happen to us.

I contacted a realtor yesterday and hes called me 2x since yesterday evening. Seems like a good guy but Im doing my research. I really dont want to end up stuck with a realtor that drops the ball.

We have the best one out of a 20 home townhouse complex ( location wise) but we have done very little upgrades because we knew it was our first home and planned on being there 5 years MAX.

There are several that have sat for months, have been taken off, relisted, sat for months. Going on 2 years now and Im pretty sure they have given up. And they have LOTS of upgrades

Them and us are the only 2 in the development that have a finished basement and another added bath, but It didnt help them much.

Meanwhile I can't find what I want to BUY to save my LIFE. Inventory STINKS right now. My realtor tells me to be patient, I guess the same is true for sellers.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Can you people post the Realtor.com links to pics? Maybe there is something turning people off.

I tend to specialize in getting listings that have been listed with other agents and not sold. I list them and get them sold normally w/in 30 days. But I make the sellers actually get the house ready to sell.

Some tips-
    Clean out closets so they are only 50% full.

Get professional photos taken.

Check home for "smells"

Empty trash cans.

Remove all personal photos/collections of stuff. Depersonalize.

Pick up dog poop twice a day. Keep yard cut, edged, watered.

Make sure home is immaculate. Baseboards, windows. Especially kitchen and baths.

Find the selling points of your home, and capitalize on it in the photos and description. Great views? Huge lot? Open floor plan? Updated kitchen?

Get quality flyers made and keep info box on sign filled.

Make home easy to show. Keep a lockbox on property.

Use local real estate ad magazines, newspapers to advertise. Have open houses/realtor tours. Try to coordinate your open houses with others in the same area so you can draw off their traffic.

3 members found this post helpful.

OK, I did check back, and with a little diligence, was able to find our house. The photos, are good, but there are only 4. Only one interior shot!
    I have a niece who is trying to become a professional photographer. She has done several weddings, and is now working VERY pt at a store shooting pix of kiddies. I think we could get her to take some good pictures. Assuming we get the pictures, how can we update the site? BTW, I am by no means, professional, but I did take some good interior shots when the work was all done.
    ok, I was going to post the link, but since it has the complete address in the link, I dasnt! If any of you guys want to see it, send me a pm. I will gladly send you the link.
    Another killer of threads

I've discovered that some sites limit the number of pictures. I was just looking on realtor.com and for some reason most of the listings only show 4 pictures, but when I looked up the RMLS # on different sites often I got more pictures. You might trying finding the house on different sites and see if more pictures show up. Maybe one of the real estate agents can chime in why sites show different pictures or only list a few pictures.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    I've discovered that some sites limit the number of pictures. I was just looking on realtor.com and for some reason most of the listings only show 4 pictures, but when I looked up the RMLS # on different sites often I got more pictures. You might trying finding the house on different sites and see if more pictures show up. Maybe one of the real estate agents can chime in why sites show different pictures or only list a few pictures.
    You or your agent needs to actually sign up for a "showcase listing" to get more pics on Realtor.com. You have to pay for it, but it's cheap. Realtor.com will only take the first 4 pics on the MLS to put on the site for free. Make sure your agent puts the pics of your house on the MLS in an order with the best ones (pics you want on realtor.com) first if you don't sign up w/realtor.com. That way the best pics will appear there.

3 members found this post helpful.

Larksmom - Does your niece have a wide angle lens and an external flash? those are both imperative to good interior real estate shots.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Meanwhile I can't find what I want to BUY to save my LIFE. Inventory STINKS right now. My realtor tells me to be patient, I guess the same is true for sellers.
    I'm in your boat. When we were actively looking there was nothing we wanted. Now that we're still actively looking the inventory has vanished or is so high out of our price range it will take us another few years to get there. So we told our realtor to stop for the time being. We're going to gather more funds and hope we'll be in the right spot at the right time. I was very honest with our realtor though and gave her a list of exactly what we were looking for and what our price range was. That she said was the key, neither of us spent time or money looking at houses we weren't interested in.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I watched the realtor *start* the process of taking pictures this weekend. He hounded my brother about the yard - some of his suggestions were a little crazy from a gardener's point of view, but my brother went with them anyway - and then he showed up at different times of day to take pictures with different light on different sides of the house. I think the curb appeal is going to be a big selling point for this house. He also insisted that we get it painted, new shutters, etc.

Then, since my mom is in her 80's, he strongly suggested she go stay with my brother and let him show the house "barely occupied." Closets are empty, pro cleaners came yesterday, bare bones furniture is there. He was planning to come today to do the full set of photos of the interior, with all his little props. He asked if we'd left any dishes in the kitchen and I thought he was asking about whether there would be coffee cups or that sort of thing - no, he wanted place settings for the dining room table! I told him I left a linen table cloth and various dresser scarves and a couple vases for flowers, but unless he wanted the corningware and the mismatched stainless, he was on his own! I can't wait to see what he does. The man is going to earn his commission on this one.

I would bet that taking good pictures of houses is a real art. I wonder if that's something people specialize in - something your niece could learn to do and then market? there must be realtors out there who hate the photography side of things, or big companies that hire people specifically to take the photos?

Thanks Jetsmom! Thats good to know. We are trying to buy, and I skip over listings if they don't have decent pictures. I need good pictures to be convinced to take the time to make an appointment to go look at the listing.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

1 members found this post helpful.

I know a lot of the high end realtors up here have a photographer on staff.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Definitely a challenging market right now, unfortunately. We will most likely be putting our CT home back on the market next spring, if the person who is currently leasing it elects not to buy it. (She wants to, but is not sure she will be able to qualify for the mortgage.) Based on the current appraisal of the house, we will likely lose close to six figures on it.

On the flip side, when we bought our new home here in Atlanta, we were able to negotiate a great deal (same size house, but with one more bedroom and 2.5 more bathrooms than the CT house) for around half of what the CT property cost - so the savings will be considerable once our other home sells. We were lucky to get into that house when we did, though... local inventory is really low and prices are rising quickly. In fact, I've had two people actually drive up and knock on my door to ask if we would consider selling our home (no!) because there is literally nothing for sale in our neighborhood - and that is where they wanted to live.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Will someone tell me what % the agents receive in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by leilatigress View Post
    I'm in your boat. When we were actively looking there was nothing we wanted. Now that we're still actively looking the inventory has vanished or is so high out of our price range it will take us another few years to get there. So we told our realtor to stop for the time being. We're going to gather more funds and hope we'll be in the right spot at the right time. I was very honest with our realtor though and gave her a list of exactly what we were looking for and what our price range was. That she said was the key, neither of us spent time or money looking at houses we weren't interested in.
    What drives me nuts it that 3 months before we started looking, there were PLENTY of exactly what we wanted, in our price range. Now, if I were to double or tripe my price, I still couldn't buy one because we can't find any listed. Literally, for no amount of money can you buy what I want.

And it's not that complex. 30-45 minute commute radius to Philadelphia... ANY direction. Decent house that is not falling down. 2+ bedrooms, 2+ baths. Can be in need of updating as long as it has A/C and is not ramshakle. 6-12ish acres. A barn/pastures if possible. Or, if not, that's ok too and I'll build my own (but the house price has to be lower).

All I can find are tiny tiny tiny houses (like 1,200 sq or less with one bathroom). Or places that are absolutely in RUINS. Like, tear-downs. Always advertised as move-in ready.

We saw one where I thought about calling the SPCA about the way the animals were treated. We saw another with a dangerous condition that could KILL someone right when you walked in the door, missing floors and walls with exposed electrical wiring and only the bottom floor is habitable and that's the part with no walls/floors-- the upstairs was worse-- priced for an insane amount of money ($600K) and they made us get a pre-approval letter to see it. You opened the door to a HOLE, just a HOLE that went down to the basement. No floors in any room. No walls separating the rooms and exposed wiring. Top floor uninhabitable-- $600K?!?

All I want is a normal house, not falling down on flat land. Period. Any direction.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Will someone tell me what % the agents receive in FL?
    Nationwide, the listing commission is negotiable. In general it's 6%. Half to listing agent, and half to buyer's agent. On high priced homes it may be less, on low priced home a little more. It also depends on what you negotiate with the listing agent as far as reimbursable expenses go. If you are willing to pay the photographer, and pay for some ads, it may be able to be negotiated to a little less. Generally the listing agent pays all advertising expenses for the home out of their commission. Often the listing agent will start with 6% split evenly but if it doesn't sell, they may offer 4% to buyers agent and take only 2% for themselves, or throw in a certain amount of money as a bonus to the buyers agent.

Buyers never pay the commission on a home in the MLS. It is paid out of the selling agent's listing contract/commission. That is one reason why a buyer should always have their own agent. It doesn't save them money to go it alone as the listing agent will then take the full 6% (or what their listing contract calls for). But the buyer is not given the same representation as they would if they have their own agent.

happy-I found out when I tried to sell my townhouse, and it took nine months to sell, that the builder (it was in a development that was still building new ones) that I was offering the usual resale % commission. i think it was 5 or 6 % but I don't remember. We found out later the builder was offering 1/2% or 1% more, and many realtors would show the new ones, and not the resales.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White