The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone Else Unable to Sell Their Home?

Really, really frustrated right now. I get so tired of reading how home sales in Florida are rebounding, people are getting multiple offers the first day and in some cases, getting more for the asking price.
    But these are for foreclosures, houses in distress and the like.
    Unfortunately, with so many of those type homes, people like me, who want to sell but don't have to, are having a really hard time.
    I have a home in a great town, the best schools. It is a 50 year house that is on a corner, deadend street. Quiet neighborhood.
    Just about everything has been replaced within the last 10 years...new kitchen, new bathrooms, piping, roof, floors, landscaping, ac.
    For the square footage, location, and the fact that it lacks for nothing, our house is a bargain.
    We actually have it listed under what it appraised for a few years ago during the worst of the economy.
    The only offers we are getting are from people who want to invest and are offering $20,000-30,000 below our asking price.
    The last one to offer were even insulting in trying to explain why we should accept their offer. They even tried to discount a 400 sf addition (my husband's office), saying that they could not use the space since it didn't have a bathroom!! Wow! Then use it as a big closet! I don't care!
    They also didn't like the paint, wallpaper and landscaping (sorrry, you are buying the home, not the decorations. The paint, all neutral colors, is relatively new. I will gladly strip the little wallpaper there is and we have one of the nicest lawns in the neighborhood, so don't even go there!)
    Yet they have now come back 2 more times, trying to get us to drop the price...wow, for a house with so many issues, they sure do like it! Anyhow, now the sob story is that they can't qualify for what we want ( we have dropped the price $9,000 for them...they are still now $15,000 away.)
    So if you can't qualify, maybe you should go look at houses that you can qualify for???
    It has been my dream to sell this house after our last child graduated from highschool so I could finally buy my dream farm.
    It is so frustrating to be jerked around like this.
    Anyone else going through the same problems with selling your house?
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

When it comes to real estate, people are, in a word, stupid. Buyers think that "buyer's market" means that they can offer anything they please and it will be accepted, and sellers think that because they paid so much for the home 20 years ago, they can get just as much, or more, for it today. Then you have the skeezy agents who will tell sellers "Oh SURE we can get *insert exorbitant price here* for your house!" just to get the listing, or encourage buyers to submit low-ball offers without helping them research and understand financing, etc.

As an agent I deal with this nonsense every. day. Something about real estate just seems to turn on the "idiot switch" in so many people!

If I were you I'd sit down and have a talk with your listing agent and see what they think about the situation. Perhaps your home is priced too high for the current market? Or your agent might not be marketing it to the right crowd. There IS a buyer for every property, sometimes it just takes a little creativity to find them!

Best of luck to you!! It can be a long and frustrating process.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

3 members found this post helpful.

My parents are dealing with this right now, trying to sell their home near Tampa.

I'm trying to sell a house in Georgia and not having any better luck. On that one, an investor who wants it for rental property keeps calling my agent and asking if I'm ready to take his offer yet. He's offering about $18,000 less than I owe on it. I don't know why he thinks I would accept that offer when I can rent it myself and more than cover the monthly payment.

5 members found this post helpful.

You have my sympathies in marketing your house. However, as a retired Realtor; you actually ARE selling your interior décor. #1 rule in marketing a house: It's a product now, not a home. Depersonalize and stage it. Start packing it up too. Staged homes sell MUCH faster and much higher than homes that are marketed in lived-in condition. Also don't take any offers or critiques personally, it's business at this point. Easier said than done, but something that definitely needs to be done. Good luck!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

18 members found this post helpful.

MistyBlue, my sister went down and staged my parents house when they were ready to put it on the market. My Mom didn't see the point, but she had to admit when my sister was finished that it made a huge difference. People just get so used to being surrounded by their own clutter that they stop noticing it.

6 members found this post helpful.

Might start by changing the description from being "It is a 50 year house that is on a corner, deadend street" to being on a no outlet street.

When I was on Planning & Zoning the one thing I was able to do was change the street signs on the streets that provided access to the retirement/assisted care homes from Dead End to No Outlet... Just made sense to me

Also have you reduced the clutter in the home? Remove and store or sale/donate unnecessary furniture; have a professional stage the house.

2 members found this post helpful.

Our house has been on the market since January. Only 13 years old, upgraded everything when I bought it (even the garage windows have fancy trim ), blah blah blah extras. Since I bought, we put in more hardwood because the master bedroom had white carpet, ugh, the whole inside was painted, and we put on fresh paint outside last fall. Huge covered deck, water view. Three large bedrooms, 1.75 ba.

People aren't even looking at it because they want XXXX square feet. Our house is 1350 or thereabouts. It has an open floor plan, when I lived alone it was too big, and we still never use the guest room even with the two of us. We just dropped our price and are offering some closing costs, and I told the agent to rewrite the ad to indicate that the square footage doesn't reflect the size. Thankfully we don't have to move, we just want to sell now in order to rent for a couple years to save a down payment on property in preparation for DH's retirement in 2017. But I hate having to keep the house clean! We have dogs, and we aren't dirty people, but having to remember to fold and put away the couch blankets, pick everything up, can't leave anything out, is a huge PITA. Not to mention DH claims to not see the dog hair tumble weeds . I told the agent I wanted it sold this summer because I was NOT mopping every day, and three words: muddy dog prints. I packed up seven boxes of stuff and donated the whole backseat of my truck worth of clothes to clear out closets. Nothing wrong with the house, I bought in 2009 and everything that came up in the inspection has been gone through.

If I could get people in the door, it would sell. But we've had five showings in five months. Le sigh. The market is a fickle, fickle, beast.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    You have my sympathies in marketing your house. However, as a retired Realtor; you actually ARE selling your interior décor. #1 rule in marketing a house: It's a product now, not a home. Depersonalize and stage it. Start packing it up too. Staged homes sell MUCH faster and much higher than homes that are marketed in lived-in condition. Also don't take any offers or critiques personally, it's business at this point. Easier said than done, but something that definitely needs to be done. Good luck!
    We did declutter. We rented a 17 foot PODS and filled it to the brim. To the point that other than my books and some of the antiques, I don't want 80% of it back!
    After trying to sell the house last year and taking it off the market after 5 months, we hired on the the town's # 1 realtors, who usually deals in the multi-million dollar lakefront homes. We did everything they suggested...decluttering, re-painting, and more. The only thing we did not do was to take down the wallpaper in the dining room, but we did change the paint color of the lower half of the wall. We have a 4 bedroom/2 bath home with a living room, dining room, inside laundry, family room and the bonus room...office, game room or 5th bedroom. It is about 2600 sf. We have dropped the price to $209,000. It appraised during the worst of times for $240,000. A similar house in the neighborhood is listed at $200,000, but it is smaller. What irritates me is that a smaller house (1000 sf smaller) sold last year in 16 days for $195,000. So trust me, our house is priced appropriately. Yes, we would make money even if we took the offers, as we bought the house in 1994, but we are not going to give the house away. We still have to be able to afford something!
    Lori T

Do all of the sellers have a lot of great pictures on realtor.com? If not, then you're missing out on buyers. I don't even consider places without pictures, or really bad pictures. And whatever is shown in the pictures must be perfect. I hate when a place shows a kitchen picture, but the counters are stuffed, the sink is full of dishes, and everything looks dirty. The bad thing now for sellers is that the comps include the short sales, and foreclosures that have actually sold. The house up the street is for sale, has a great description of the the extra features, such as the glass tile kitchen backsplash, but there are four pictures-front yard, back yard, dining room (it's hard to tell what it is because the picture is so dark, and blurry), and I guess the other one is the sitting room part of the bedroom. If this place had a lot more pictures, showing the great features, and were actually focused, then I think some buyers might come out and look at the house, but not with the way it's being marketed.

I think another problem is that so many people watch the real estate shows on HGTV, and think you can low ball any house offer, and the seller will accept and pay all of your closing costs too. I think a lot of the shows set up unrealistic expectations.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Might start by changing the description from being "It is a 50 year house that is on a corner, deadend street" to being on a no outlet street.

When I was on Planning & Zoning the one thing I was able to do was change the street signs on the streets that provided access to the retirement/assisted care homes from Dead End to No Outlet... Just made sense to me

Also have you reduced the clutter in the home? Remove and store or sale/donate unnecessary furniture; have a professional stage the house.
    Actually, the sign out front says no outlet. To me, this is one of the appeals to our neighborhood. It is one of only 2 in the area that is only accessible by one major road, so there is no cut through traffic! 50 year old on a deadend street is just how I described it here, not in the listing.
    Lori T

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Do all of the sellers have a lot of great pictures on realtor.com? If not, then you're missing out on buyers. I don't even consider places without pictures, or really bad pictures. And whatever is shown in the pictures must be perfect. I hate when a place shows a kitchen picture, but the counters are stuffed, the sink is full of dishes, and everything looks dirty. The bad thing now for sellers is that the comps include the short sales, and foreclosures that have actually sold. The house up the street is for sale, has a great description of the the extra features, such as the glass tile kitchen backsplash, but there are four pictures-front yard, back yard, dining room (it's hard to tell what it is because the picture is so dark, and blurry), and I guess the other one is the sitting room part of the bedroom. If this place had a lot more pictures, showing the great features, and were actually focused, then I think some buyers might come out and look at the house, but not with the way it's being marketed.

I think another problem is that so many people watch the real estate shows on HGTV, and think you can low ball any house offer, and the seller will accept and pay all of your closing costs too. I think a lot of the shows set up unrealistic expectations.
    Last year, the realtor we used took the pictures himself and they were crap. This realtor used a professional. He took his time and while I had already cleaned and put things away, he still caught things I had missed and had me move. There are about 25 pictures on realtor.com and they look amazing!! My husband commented how our house had never looked so good!
    Lori T

We're just entering into this world with my parents' house, and I am already ready to scream... It's the classic scenario: mom got into assisted living about 6 months before she thought she would, so now 1) she has a place to go, but 2) she has cash flow issues, and 3) the house is FULL and needs to be empty, yesterday. The realtor guy she's working with... ehh... wouldn't be my choice, but I guess he's ok. He is determined to have it close in 90 days (he's relatively new in this area and is all into his track record) which is great for mom because that's about how long her cash will last. His recommended listing price is what she wants her share of the proceeds to be, however, so now she's stressing that if they list it too low just to get it to sell fast, she won't be able to afford her assisted living place... (get out the violins, she's in a Very Nice Suburb of Boston, it WILL close in 90 days at his asking price). In her mind, the house is still worth what it would have sold for at the peak of the market years ago, and she sees the houses around her selling way above what hers will bring and can't see that they all have additions, upgrades, etc that she doesn't have. Sigh. The plan is that it will be listed tomorrow and I plan to scream it from the rooftops to everyone I still know in that area, hoping that somebody's kid/relative/friend is dying to move to That Suburb for its excellent schools and will snap it up, warts and all. We shall see.

Honestly, is your furniture modern and up to date, or is it dated too? Because if it's dated, I would still have it staged. Dated furniture can make a modern house look dated. I'd remove the wall paper and either put up a new more modern print (wall coverings are hot right now!) or new paint in lieu of the paper. ONE outdated room can make the entire house look outdated and worth less. You don't want anyone walking in and thinking "work" because then they'll keep taking it off the bottom line. It's just the way it is. Take a saturday or an evening and pull that paper off!

5 members found this post helpful.

I am having the same problems selling my mom's house. I spent 5k painting, remodeling the bath, and new carpet. All beige. except bath and kitchen. It is empty, and it does look nice, if you like beige! There have only been 3 showings since Easter. The Realtor told me he would only bring out people who qualify. I just heard from my sister that a friend's house sold for 20 k less that what we are asking, and it is a nicer house. I put it up for what the Realtor said to. Should we switch Realtors? I think I will check that web site. He did take the pictures. Not impressive on the flyer.
    Another killer of threads

Just went through a house sale last year. I learned people buying are looking for value, buying on emotion is now gone. They don't care about antique doors, exotic wood flooring, tile in the bathroom from Italy. Potential buyers come into your home and visualize their stuff in your house, they don't want to paint, tear out carpeting, or sand/stain floors. The moving truck needs to arrive, unload, and tah-da they have a new house with little thought or effort. I believe this behavior comes from corporate gypsies. Spouses move from position to position in a company, or jump ship to another competitor which means moving to another city every few years. This is why cookie cutter houses sell.

My sister is selling a house now and has had a potentional buyer come through 3X, the buyer loves everything about the house, but it doesn't have a pool - can you believe? My sister has offered a $10,000 reduction to put toward the pool and it was refused. They want a pool in place. Silly or crazy, who knows.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I can't offer any advice to those of you trying to sell but wish you the best of luck.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Oh, yeah, my question for the realtor people. The guy she's working with has asked us to keep it reasonably quiet that the house will be listed this week because he wants to make a big "launch" with the local realtor-types. I googled him (finally) and see that he's a one-man show with only two other active listings but a whole list of addresses that have sold, most well above her price range... he was recommended by my mom's lawyer... So it sounds like he's relying on MLS and the various websites to promote the house, since it's not like anyone is going to find him otherwise. His whole sales pitch, all the way along, is that houses at this price in this Very Desirable Suburb With Excellent Schools hardly ever come up, so they have a unique product for a buyer who can afford a little more than a starter house but not an improved house, or for a buyer who really, really wants that elementary school for some reason. Great, I'll buy that. But why the secrecy? is he afraid that if we broadcast it to everyone we went to high school with, that we'd skip listing it with him at all and just sell it outright from underneath him? is he worried that some other broker would grab it? From what he didn't say, I guess one of the big RE companies in town has played some dirty pool with little old ladies selling the family house... or that's what he wants us to think... I don't put a lot of faith in small town gossip but I've never played this game before. Any insight from anyone? (and yes, I'll spill more details by PM. I WANT this house to sell, NOW.)

Jan M, this is for you!
    I just went to Realtor.com, and it wouldn't produce any pix of the house. It pinpointed it on a map, and said nothing in that area! Then it tried to get me to a Realtor.
    Another killer of threads

betsyk - Ask him to see his marketing strategies. What avenue does he use to market the homes? Is it only on mls? Does he facebook, twitter, linked in, etc? Internet marketing is HUGE.

Sorry you are having trouble selling :-( We are having trouble buying and it's really frustrating too. We found the ideal property for us, and we can't get the sellers to work with us. We finally got them to come down a little on their price, but now they won't make repairs on the septic system and they want us to give them a non-refundable deposit. Um no! We'd pay for the repairs, but we can't get a mortgage on a house that is demmed "unliveable" due to the septic issues. Both our lawyer and agent said there is no safe way to write a contract for us to make repairs on the house before we close on it because the sellers could back out and then we'd be out the repair $.
    This doesn't apply to the OP, but for anyone else trying to sell a house, but as a buyer it's really frustrating to look through online listings and only see a few crummy pictures, and not very much information on the home. I'm not going to waste my time looking at a house that only has 4 pictures. Also, please make sure your listing agent is helpful and on top of things. We are dealing with a listing agent who keeps dropping the ball, and has been downright rude to us and our agent.
    I think home buying has got to be one of the worst experiences for both buyers and sellers!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products