The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm not a big name brand person either, but I just love how well they fit me compared to other brands and they hold up exceptionally well. I've had a pair from 1999 and they are still great. I just now got a new pair since I've heard so many great things about the new style (the Trophy Hunters), and they are so comfortable! It's hard to find other breeches that fit me because I have narrow hips and an actual butt (lol). These are the TS Trophy Hunter breeches I got the other day (excuse crappy picture): http://i39.tinypic.com/339klzr.jpg

Every other brand I've tried is either too tight in the waist, too baggy in the waist (if it fits my butt), or rides up in places that is not desirable. Every pair of TS I put on in my size fits perfectly. So basically, if they fit you really well and you're looking for pants that will last you a really long time---yes, they are worth the $$$.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

1 members found this post helpful.

I would have said yes until I got my Animos. The TS fit great and looked great but the cheaper trophy hunters (the cottony ones) do not wear well. Afer a year of steady riding, rotating through 3 pairs, I had to throw two of them away due to inner thigh wear. My Animos are 3x the cost of the cheaper TS but they have lasted at least 5x as long (and likely a lot longer than that) and are way more comfortable to ride in. I do chores in them too and they still look new.

You couldn't pay me to wear those breeches, I would much rather spend 299.00 on a pair of pikeur's a that last forever. I also really like the new Mirco Grand Prix breeches and there around 100.00.

Yes, for me they are. They fit well, are comfortable, don't fade so much, and are very durable. The newer Trophy Hunters are ultra-durable - more so than the more cotton-based older Trophies or TS breeches. And more durable than the cotton Pikeurs at a similar price-point. (I can't compare to the microfiber Pikeurs as those are too much $ for me.)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

THey are definitely my fave breeches. Have no idea what kind they are and only have one for showing but the fabric is SO comfy, and they look nice.

I love my TSs! They're so comfortable and I've found them to be very durable.
    There are also fantastic deals on used TS if you look around. I have 8 pairs and have never spent more than $30 on a pair (the cheapest were $12!). The majority of them are show quality.

I usually try and find them on eBay or at consignment shops. My current show TS's were 70 bucks! I have found that I really like the fit of Equine Couture breeches for schooling though and they are considerably less expensive, ~$70 new. They have pretty much been my go to breech lately because I can wear them all day and ride 4/5 horses in them with out them stretching out. I have a few pairs of Ariats and while they fit okay in the morning if I wear them all day I swear they end up two sizes bigger by the evening..

Just wanted to add since a lot of people are posting saying they like TS but like the fit of Equine Couture breeches and they are cheaper.
    I love TS, but I do NOT fit well in Equine Couture breeches. THey fit too tight over my thunder thighs then are huge in the waist, so don't assume that if TS fit that Equine Couture will too.

2 members found this post helpful.

After years of having to buy cheap breeches every year because they just didn't hold up I finally caved and bought a pair (due to much pressure from a friend who swears by them). OMG. Should have done it sooner. Great fabric, fit and excellent quality. The most comfortable pair of breeches I've owned. I pretty much haven't worn anything else since and just recently bought a second pair in the beautiful boysenberry color

And I did get a few pairs all at one time to compare. While the EQ's seemed decent for the money, they're nothing like the TS IMO. Much cheaper, thinner fabric and fit is tighter.

I will say the only thing I wish was different about the TS is that they had a sock bottom. The Velcro isn't uncomfortable but I prefer sock bottoms.

Absolutely. I have several pairs that I've had for nearly ten years, and a pair of Pikeurs that have held up very well, too. My experience with breeches is the pricier ones are worth the money- they far outlast the inexpensive brands.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I will say the only thing I wish was different about the TS is that they had a sock bottom. The Velcro isn't uncomfortable but I prefer sock bottoms.
    I think this is an excellent thing to point out, as many people love sock bottoms. However, as someone with oddly large calves/ankles for my size, often times sock bottoms are too tight for me, because I wear a 26 in breeches. So i actually love that these are the traditional velcro. Much more comfortable circulation for my lower leg.

I don't know if they are worth it because i never had a pair. My Ariat Pro-Circuits fit me like a glove, so that's what I wear for showing. I can't imagine a pair of breeches nicer than these, and I got them on TOTD for well under $100.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne