The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tailored Sportsman, are they really worth the $$?

I haven't yet jumped on to the trend of TS breeches, although I've tried them on (and yes they were extremely comfortable) I'm just not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on a pair of breeches. So for those of you who have the TS beeches, are they really worth the $170?

YES. I love mine. I have two pairs, one I bought full price and the other I bought for $70 off my friend who received the wrong size as a gift. I've basically traded those two off for 80% of my lessons and all of my shows for 3 years straight and they're still going strong. I have a lot of other breeches, all cheap-o, pull-on types that I hate, but the TSs are just so flattering and comfy.

They are well made and mine held up to use really well. They just aren't cut right for me so I ended up selling mine on ebay when I stopped doing the big shows. But they are very nice breeches.

Whether they are worth the $$ or not is really a personal choice, IMO.

I only like the Trophy Hunters with the euro seat. I have Equine Couture ones that fit almost exactly the same and were considerably less expensive though. I'm on a tiny budget, so no. They're not worth it to my unless I find them used somewhere.

1 members found this post helpful.

It completely depends. I don't like the cut or fit - they just don't make me feel the way expensive breeches should. However, I will drop a pretty penny for my Pro Circuits because I love the way they fit and feel. IMO - expensive breeches are worth it if they fit well, wear well and make you feel great, whether or not they are what is popular. Durability and fit rank at the top of my priorities. I've seen many people that DO look fabulous in their TS - it's a matter of body type and fit preference.

You could always check eBay for used breeches as a way to test run before dropping big bucks on a new pair!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have them because I love the fit and style but after 2 years of wearing mine to do barn chores in between rides I can tell you that they are high quality too. On several occasions I've caught mine on a nail that Should have snagged the fabric and did not. Also they always clean up well too. I wash them on normal and air dry them. I've never had any issue with the seams or buttons or zippers like I have with other breeches.

I have to be honest with you... yes. And I am *NOT* someone who is attached to brand names. I am on a tight budget and am a total bargain hunter... but I've wasted a bunch of money on cheaper breeches that didn't work out. I've tried a ton of other brands for both schooling and show and finally broke down and bought the TS Tophy hunters low rise side zips. The new technical fabric washes and wears great (wash gentle and hang dry). It's simply the best quality and cut out there.

That said, I can't afford more than one pair and those are my show breeches. I haven't found anything yet under $100 that I love to school in. The only thing that has come close so far is Dover's Riding Sport Competitor II breeches. They're I think $65 but are frequently on sale for cheaper. They come in gray and tan. They wash and wear nicely but without a belt they tend to sag a little bit.

I'm interested to see what other people have to say about other breeches they find to be comparable at a better price point. I wanted the new Tredstep breeches to work out so badly but they simply didn't fit me! 26 was too small and 28 too big!

They do last forever and a day. Unfortunately the only TS that fit me are MEN'S 4-way. So for me the question becomes do I spend that kind of $ on men's breeches or do I find another brand?

Found another brand. (I do keep my men's TS rust for schooling at home though - tons of pockets for horse cookies!)
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I live in my TS! Since my horses live at home and I work from home, I can go days wearing my breeches all day long. I wear them doing barn chores, I wear them to the grocery store, You get the picture. I find that they wear better than Ariat.
    Look for sales. I was able to purchase several pairs on sale at our local tack store for less than $100 each.
    They are worth the money IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    I live in my TS! Since my horses live at home and I work from home, I can go days wearing my breeches all day long. I wear them doing barn chores, I wear them to the grocery store, You get the picture. I find that they wear better than Ariat.
    Look for sales. I was able to purchase several pairs on sale at our local tack store for less than $100 each.
    They are worth the money IMO.
    Let me know when you see these crazy sales! LOL

I love my TSs. I have 2 pairs for shows-only, and had another pair for schooling that were ridden in *hard* and abused for literally 5 years before giving up the ghost. I'm now saving for a replacement schooling pair Like Hunter's Ridge, I also love Ariat Pro Circuits, but not the other Ariat breeches. None of my "cheaper" schooling breeches fit, feel, or look as nice as those two brands. I also quite like Pikeurs though those cost even more. One thing I LOVE about the TS, is that you can find/order them in SHORT! as a round-but-short-legged rider, most breeches are way too long and I have to cut the bottoms off to prevent uncomfortable wrinkling and bagging at the ankles under my boots. TS in short (you can custom order via Smartpak) are AMAZING! I also love the color choices, as I ride in beige enough at shows, but prefer to school in something more creative
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Yes, they are totally worth the money and they are made in the US.

I really like Tailored Sportsman breeches, they fit me well and really hold up. For my build, I feel like they are the most flattering brand of breeches, although I think the front zip are less flattering on me than the side zip. I am short and somewhat curvy, just for reference.

I have one ancient pair of 2 way from 1993 that I still use for schooling! The knee patches came off when I started putting them in the washer and dryer, but other than that they are fully functional (although being the old model they are rather high waisted and pull up to oh, about my boobs). In my experience the TS cotton blend breeches don't hold up as well, although on my most recent trip to a tack shop it felt like they changed the fabric a bit, so I decided to try them again.

If you can't bring yourself to spend that much money, try Ovation breeches. I have a bunch of them in several different styles. They make a looser fitting breech they market for hunters and I have 3 of those. Very, very comfy and have held up well. You can get them on Victory Canter for $84.95. I'm sure they are not AS nice as TS breeches but I wear them for A shows and they fit right in.

I will eventually buy a pair of TS but I haven't wanted to spend the $$$ quite yet.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

They are gorgeous, stay in beautiful shape with cold, delicate wash and hang to dry, and they are MADE in the USA!!!

Go buy some now.

If you have the money, they are absolutely worth it. They have the classic look that is approved at any barn you go to. You look professional when schooling in them at shows as well. They are extremely comfortable and fit great (in my opinion). The first schooling pair I bought finally got worn out after 6 years of continuous wear. I was happy to buy TS's again as a replacement. They are also the only breech I will wear in the show ring. Although Ariat has tempted me recently (but IMO they are too $$). My current favorite style of the TS is the Trophy Hunter side zip (like the look of the front zip but the side zip fits me better).

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Yes, and I don't even wear them- they don't fit me. I'm envious of people who can wear them well. They seem to wear like iron and hold up for years and years. You may have luck finding some secondhand on consignment or eBay if the up-front price is a factor.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

No, they are not worth it. I prefer Ariats for many reasons. Just my opinion.

If they fit you, then yes. They are comfortable, last forever so that makes the investment worth it. Also the fabric is nice because any dirt gets on them it dusts right off. I can wear them a few times before washing them. Which probably helps with them lasting a bit longer.

I too am not a name brand person - but spending money on breeches that don't fit well, don't hold up well, feel too thick or thin is just not worth a cheap price.

But saying that, it really is subjective. I think the Ovations are too thick and the Ariats are not comfortable for me.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Years ago they were THE UNIFORM for the HJ set. If you go to a horse show you will see competitors in plenty of brands other than TS.