The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It's interesting to me what bad behavior we will tolerate from BNT's and then try to wave it away. Assaulting someone is a personal matter - just like drugging a pony or ripping someone off. We still discuss those items ad nauseum because it is to warn people and to protect them from bad situations. Abuse is abuse is abuse and if that trainer or vet is able to lose their temper enough to haul off and hit a person, why should I be so sure that they wouldn't lose their temper with my animal?

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Prime Time Rider, perhaps you should post your real name so we can follow YOUR real-life gossip?
    No names have been mentioned anywhere in this post. I intentionally DID NOT use names to avoid "outting" someone or perpetuating gossip.

Someone told me about this incident and since it was rather bizarre I was trying to confirm if the incident happened without mentioned names. Sure, I could have called several friends who attended the show and ask, but in my mind that would have perpetuated the gossip more.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    No names have been mentioned anywhere in this post. I intentionally DID NOT use names to avoid "outting" someone or perpetuating gossip.

Someone told me about this incident and since it was rather bizarre I was trying to confirm if the incident happened without mentioned names. Sure, I could have called several friends who attended the show and ask, but in my mind that would have perpetuated the gossip more.
    Doing the math, posting on a national bb with over 3 thousand views is putting the rumor mill on steroids.

Gossip with a few friends involves those friends (3-10 people?). This thread is now a permanent document that will live on and, to date, has Replies: 41 and
    Views: 3,657. It lists location, dates and a few names. And it has been going on for days.

Which really calls into question the above logic about not wanting to perpetuate gossip.

4 members found this post helpful.

No names have been posted. Since the incident happened at a USEF sanctioned show, the BNT in question could be sanctioned, although only if someone files a complaint or the steward witnessed the incident. People have been suspended for a lot less (for instance, using abusive language towards a horse show judge).

If the incident happened in private (for instance, the trainer's farm), then it would be a private matter and in my mind, wouldn't be anybody's business other than the parties involved. However, at a USEF sanctioned event, trainers and exhibitors are bound by certain standards of conduct. When you sign an entry form you agree that you will adhere to USEF rules. Engaging in a fist fight with a horse show official on horse show grounds would violate those rules and could get you suspended.

19 members found this post helpful.

This is the most flawed logic I've ever read on here, and that's saying a lot.

6 members found this post helpful.

No names have been posted. Since the incident happened at a USEF sanctioned show, the BNT in question could be sanctioned, although only if someone files a complaint or the steward witnessed the incident. People have been suspended for a lot less (for instance, using abusive language towards a horse show judge).

If the incident happened in private (for instance, the trainer's farm), then it would be a private matter and in my mind, wouldn't be anybody's business other than the parties involved. However, at a USEF sanctioned event, trainers and exhibitors are bound by certain standards of conduct. When you sign an entry form you agree that you will adhere to USEF rules. Engaging in a fist fight with a horse show official on horse show grounds would violate those rules and could get you suspended.

In Texas, NO BNT faces consequences. Rock on PTR, to everyone else why shouldn't we discuss this? It's unprofessional of the trainer and/or vet. I want some wine, popcorn, gossip and possibly cyber justice.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

9 members found this post helpful.

So if it happened in a bar it's ok. Anyone with a brain in their head and lives in Texas knows what bnt trainer this was. Leave the justice to the stewards. And the gossip off the boards.

Don't like how the BNT handles himself? Don't board or train with him. Don't like how the vet handled himself? Don't use him. Seems pretty easy to me. But I bet if you gossipy hens heard this happened at the bar after the show it would still be on here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Texas or New Jersey, saying you don't want to name names then giving tidbits about an incident with vague details that appear to be of a personal nature nobody would ever have known about on the most visited H/J website in cyberspace? Then saying you just are looking for details but continue to "protect the privacy" of those involved?

Im still trying to figure what real, nationally known BNT would be in Tyler when Devon is in full swing? And, frankly my dear, don't give a rats hinny about a personal beef after a couple of beers in camperland between unknown parties 6 states away in no danger of competing for my business anymore then they would be for an owner on the West Coast where the best known BNTs out there would be at...what? Not Tyler anymore then the ones back east are/were at Tyler.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Texas or New Jersey, saying you don't want to name names then giving tidbits about an incident with vague details that appear to be of a personal nature nobody would ever have known about on the most visited H/J website in cyberspace? Then saying you just are looking for details but continue to "protect the privacy" of those involved?

Im still trying to figure what real, nationally known BNT would be in Tyler when Devon is in full swing? And, frankly my dear, don't give a rats hinny about a personal beef after a couple of beers in camperland between unknown parties 6 states away in no danger of competing for my business.
    Oh trust me, the BNT in question is nationally known. Now that I know the details, i'm not actually too surprised. I was sort of caught in the middle of another incident with this person, and my then trainer was present as well. That's all i'm gonna say because it isn't my place to publicly out this person.

It was not the week of Devon it was the week before.

[QUOTE=HRF Second Chance;7011708]So if it happened in a bar it's ok. Anyone with a brain in their head and lives in Texas knows what bnt trainer this was. Leave the justice to the stewards. And the gossip off the boards.

I didn't say that it was OK if it happened at a bar, but there is a big difference between what happens in a bar vs an USEF recognized event. Any exhibitor or trainer at an USEF event, by virtue of signing the entry form, is agreeing to adhere to USEF rules. USEF rules don't extend to a bar (unless the bar is on the horse show grounds).

If the steward didn't witness the incident (highly unlikely since it happened in camper land after the classes had ended that day) the steward can't enforce the rules unless someone files a complaint.

According the Webster's dictionary, gossip is defined as "rumor or report of an intimate nature". A public fist fight at a USEF recognized event isn't exactly "of an intimate nature".

So, would it be gossip to post a question on this board regarding last year's incident at Devon when the pony Humble collapsed and died on the horse show grounds after being injected? Obviously, it was a much more serious incident, but the incidents are similar in that both happened at USEF recognized events and both incidents involved behavior that isn't permitted under USEF rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Doing the math, posting on a national bb with over 3 thousand views is putting the rumor mill on steroids.

Gossip with a few friends involves those friends (3-10 people?). This thread is now a permanent document that will live on and, to date, has Replies: 41 and
    Views: 3,657. It lists location, dates and a few names. And it has been going on for days.

Which really calls into question the above logic about not wanting to perpetuate gossip.
    Maybe you should read this again. A personal fight versus a dead pony with formal complaints filed isn't the same ballpark. Winning ribbons and defending honor are not the same.

3 members found this post helpful.

HRF Second Chance, you seem to be hell bent on twisting my words, for what purpose? Does it make you feel important or superior?

What I said was "Obviously, it was a much more serious incident, but the incidents are similar in that both happened at USEF recognized events and both incidents involved behavior that isn't permitted under USEF rules."

3 members found this post helpful.

Sounds exciting! The best of equestrian sports and hockey combined!

7 members found this post helpful.

I have no idea who y'all are talking about... But, if you don't want people to gossip about you, you probably shouldn't punch someone.

26 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by short strided View Post
    I have no idea who y'all are talking about... But, if you don't want people to gossip about you, you probably shouldn't punch someone.
    Exactly! This thread is so weird. What is the big deal with talking about this? I'm sure other people saw this go down too, it's not like it happened inside someones private home.

I know the year is only half way up, but this thread may be the weirdest thread of the year.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

1 members found this post helpful.

If you have to come on a BB to ask who was involved it really isn't any of your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter_nativ3 View Post
    If you have to come on a BB to ask who was involved it really isn't any of your business.
    This, and per usual on COTH, no one here has actually gotten any of the details correct, nor is any of the speculation even remotely true.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    This, and per usual on COTH, no one here has actually gotten any of the details correct, nor is any of the speculation even remotely true.
    Were you there...? I thought you had moved out of the area.