The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Garden Experts part II - Japanese knotweed

okay, thanks for all the forsythia suggestions and stories! That is one thing I've noticed...that if a branch touches the ground, it grows roots and starts a new one!
    Which leads me to the next gardening question...Japanese knotweed (or we call it bamboo). Grows 8 to 12 feet high, with delicate creamy flowers when in bloom. Grows through concrete, landscaping fabric, and I think nuclear war. It is the plant version of a cockroach...you just can't kill the sucker. The only time I like it is when it's dry and you set it on fire, and it sounds like fireworks . The Victorians thought it was pretty...it is, until it starts taking over every square inch it can get to.
    We really don't want to go the Roundup route unless we have to - plus AFAik it's pretty restricted here now...early on, we cut it off a few inches above the ground and filled the stems with Roundup (when we could get it easily)...and it came back next year. Mowing it as small plants helps, but it doesn't kill it. My neighbour tried the syringe thing with gasoline, and she thinks that killed it, but again, I bet it will come back in the spring. Roots grow under the surface and are half as thick as my wrist.
    Ready to try other things - help!
    D.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

H bomb

ETA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_knotweed

wiki suggests it's edible, like rubarb.

You know, once you count on it it will wither and die!

It'll come back, I've tried both the gasoline and bleach trick. It turned them into zombies because they're still here after pretending death for a short time. BTW, tilling deep, total vegetation killer/ground clear, satanic rituals, etc haven't worked either.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Its one of the really awful invasives, since every little piece can generate a new plant.

Try your local ag extension service (or search online, they usually post info) - what does best in your location may vary from other places (when to cut / dig / spray; how often to treat, etc). Here is something from WI area:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Invasives/do...ed_control.pdf

Here is another from the PNW (14 pages long!):
    http://www.invasive.org/gist/moredocs/polspp01.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    It'll come back, I've tried both the gasoline and bleach trick. It turned them into zombies because they're still here after pretending death for a short time. BTW, tilling deep, total vegetation killer/ground clear, satanic rituals, etc haven't worked either.
    Ah, I see you have it too . I read that you can totally remove the contaminated soil to a depth of 3 feet...but if you even leave a crumb of it behind, it'll come back. I love the zombie plant description!!
    D>
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

ETA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_knotweed

wiki suggests it's edible, like rubarb.

You know, once you count on it it will wither and die!
    That was my suggestion - learn to cook with it and enjoy eating it, and you'll never see it again.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I seem to remember IFAS at Uof Florida had a study on how to contain/kill bamboo. Grow it in a concrete bunker seemed to be the only safe answer.

Wisteria is my personal demon right now. A neighbor planted it in his tiny little backyard forest and I've been battling it ever since (trying to keep it from killing my tiny little forest). Of course the ONE tree that damn wisteria plant will not go kill is the Bradford Pear that was planted in th emiddle of the yard, turning most of my backyard to full shade instead of just enough sun to grow a really nice shade garden. Still, it's a suicide tree, I mean a bradford... it will die soon enough
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Soapy vinegar on the leaves, round-up out of desperation, cut and burn them, leave no remnants, pour round up down cut stems. Pull up all remnants, pull again, pull every new shoot as it pops up. Dig up the runners... lather rinse and repeat for 3 years..... this is the first year it has not come back..... yet.....

1 members found this post helpful.