The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should you have in your grooming supplies?

What are all the things that you must have and nice to have in your grooming supplies?

These Canter Mane and Tail products especially:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/mobile/product/80

http://www.smartpakequine.com/mobile/product/4868

The show shine is better than Showsheen.

Witch hazel and a mitt for show day.

bakin soda, vinegar and dawn dish soap for my grey's tail.
    Georgia red clay is KILLER on those tails!

For daily use, I like the pink Healthy Haircare Moisturizer, or the Marigold spray (little more $ but smells nice!). Infusium is nice for tails and manes Otherwise, my horses love a nice soft rubber curry for their faces, and I like a simple bristle brush for manes and tails. No teeth to catch the hairs, just grabs shavings and hay. Is a savior on my Morgan's long thick mane!

Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover is great (I am not sure if that is what it is really called, but any green spot remover is great) But I also have a grey so I may have different needs. Cowboy Magic Detangler is great, but it does have silicones so I make sure to condition before I use it (wet). Ivory soap is great for cleaning everything, from dirty pony legs to buckets, it is great.

Rubber curry mitt, Epona shed flower, metal curry for cleaning brushes every few strokes, stiff brush, soft brush, mane comb, tail brush, rub rags, hoof pick with brush, rubber bands for braidingor banding manes, treats are my basics. Oh, and a cactus cloth!

Also nice to have are a hoof conditioner/polish (Horseshoer's Secret is my favorite), little clippers, detangler (Vetrolin is my favorite), and some small first aid things like wound spray/powder and a roll of vet wrap. I have a heavy duty tool bag from Home Depot that zips shut, which is great because my grooming bag is obviously super full

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post

What kind of Vinegar = white or apple cider

I use white vinegar. First I make a goop of dawn, baking soda and a bit of water and slather the tail. Let soak for 10 minutes, rinse with vinegar, them rinse with water and condition. Works like a charm!

Painted - I'm assuming this is a white tail you're working on? I've got a grey that's got some kind of identity crisis going on as he seems to want to be a chestnut or any color but grey LOL. I'm going to try the dawn/baking soda goop and white vinegar rinse - seems less harsh too

Ha - love "identity crisis." his tail is mostly white, with some
    dark grey mixed in. If this method doesn't get it all out, if its particularly bad, I'll use a bit of purple shampoo to get the remnants. Might need to scrub a bit with a mitt when you apply the goop.

A cactus cloth! Phenomenal for getting dirt and grime off before the ride and for rubbing down a sweaty horse after the ride. My Arab LOVES his and loves to rub his face against it after a ride.

Natural bristle brushes. I think they work far better at getting the ground in dirt out and they make the coat super shiny.

Big fan of the Eqyss Marigold spray. It used to be labeled as a fly spray, now its labeled as a coat conditioner. Either way, it does a great job at conditioning the coat and keeping the buggies away.

Vetrolin shampoo. Has UV protection for the coat (important for those of us with nearly black bays who like to bleach to an ugly orange) and makes the coat SO soft and silky.

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Curry or five, natural fiber stiff, medium, and soft brushes, hoof pick, mane comb, tail grooming implement of your choice, detangler, a million and a half rub rags, and a spray bottle of alcohol.

I like Cowboy Magic and Canter-Silk for detanglers. The alcohol (and one of your rub rags) helps to remove sweat marks; it also serves as a spot remover for wannabe-pinto gray horses; plus you can spray on and rub briskly to use as a leg brace. To bathe, I use Ivory soap for whites, Vetrolin for everything else, and a tea tree shampoo once or twice in spring and fall (prime time for skin funk for my guy.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

I love my cactus cloth/fleece mitt! Easiest thing to use, gives the coat a great shine, will get stains and dirt up and out, etc.

I've used mine for a quick wipe down, getting rid of sweat marks, itching in those itchy places, plus I've even used it like a sponge for cooling out and bathing.
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Good quality NATURAL bristled brushes (I'm indifferent to need various textures...my horse can't tolerate too hard of a brush, so most of mine are pretty soft). Brushes should be kept CLEAN. A decent curry of any variety that your horse will tolerate (can you tell I have a thin skinned horse?). And rub rags.

Really, you should be able to get a pretty glossy horse with those three things.

3 members found this post helpful.

I use jelly scrubbers to curry and plastic bristled Beastie brushes to brush...and have spares, so I just toss the dirty ones in my washing machine when I do loads of horse towels. Then I have this nifty rubber face scrubby thing that I do faces and elbows or other sensitive spots with (I got it from Beval but don't see it on their site now - it is small, oval, and has soft rubber bristles). Mane and tail brush used sparingly to save the hair. Lots of towels, and especially like these nubby textured bar towels I got from a kitchen type store. I also have a horse vac and that is used a lot, especially when shedding or dried mud is a factor.

I have a bottle of Healthy Hair Care that I use on manes and tails or dry spots. Fly spray when necessary. Not much else that I use on a regular basis. Horses look great with almost daily grooming, good food, and not much "product."

Quote Originally Posted by NSRider View Post
    I love my cactus cloth/fleece mitt! Easiest thing to use, gives the coat a great shine, will get stains and dirt up and out, etc.

I've used mine for a quick wipe down, getting rid of sweat marks, itching in those itchy places, plus I've even used it like a sponge for cooling out and bathing.
    We must be twins!! Love my cactus cloth and use it all the time. Also natural bristle brushes - have to be soft, my guy is very sensitive.
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Grooming boxes are one of those personal things! I think most of us have developed our own preferences over the years, have our “favorite” brush etc.

My grooming box has had the same items in it for some time now. These are the things I like to keep in my daily use box (in order of use for the most part!):

Hoof Picks (one standard with a narrow head, one with stiff brush)
    Rubber curry comb
    Rubber (jelly) fine tooth curry comb
    Tampico Bristle Dandy brush (mix of stiff center, softer edge Tampico bristles)
    Tampico Bristle body brush (all softer bristles)
    Horse Hair body brush (the type with longer bristles)
    Horse Hair body brush (short bristle with hand loop)
    Metal curry comb (for cleaning the brushes as you groom)
    Human hair brush
    Cactus cloth
    Sponge (for whipping face / eyes)
    Baby wipes (for addressing stains on my mostly white horse)
    Cowboy Magic detangler / shine

Miracle product for tangled tails:Cowboy magic concentrated detangler: http://www.doversaddlery.com/cowboy-...311b3votvfbazy

Cant live without it for horse shows:Cowboy magic green spot remover: http://www.doversaddlery.com/cowboy-...311b3votvfbazy

Never discount the value of rub rags...or even go old school with those crazy whisk things. We used to try and replicate them from the old British horse care books of the 60s. Truth is, they work.

I think the grooming industry is largely a racket. I agree with yellowbritches - natural fiber brushes, a good curry, and rub rags. I do however keep some "mud brushes" for the grey ponies. They seem impervious to the stiff bristles and Pig Pen UBER LOFFS his mud hole...

Oh - and of course some sort of hoof pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Never discount the value of rub rags...or even go old school with those crazy whisk things. We used to try and replicate them from the old British horse care books of the 60s. Truth is, they work.

I think the grooming industry is largely a racket. I agree with yellowbritches - natural fiber brushes, a good curry, and rub rags. I do however keep some "mud brushes" for the grey ponies. They seem impervious to the stiff bristles and Pig Pen UBER LOFFS his mud hole...

Oh - and of course some sort of hoof pick.
    I totally agree--old school grooming techniques are the best, and most times the only thing they'll cost you is some elbow grease.

1 members found this post helpful.