The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    That would be average around here. You'll need to give your location to get any helpful advice.
    ROFL, looking at your location...I was going to say, where my brother lives (Westchester) that's par for the course, where *I* live it would have to be the most fantastic barn EVER created or it would go out of business.

i'm in Ocala and that's just nuts. shop around tons of super nice barns in that area for way less money. just because it looks all fancy does not mean the care is any better than an average farm. it's all in the care of the horse and a safe place for you and your horse to ride and enjoy each other.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    wow, I can't imagine the income you need for that kind of board prices. Without training rides or grooming??? that's nuts.
    I hope you find something else quickly. Who cares about seeing them at shows? Because you can still show ... on top of that board? I am curious as to how much they charge for THAT? trailering, coaching, wow...
    haha yes needless to say there's only a few other people boarding there! Although I can afford it (and they know it unfortunately), I don't see the point in overpaying for something I could get elsewhere for much cheaper. They had always told me "that's just what real horse showing is about...if you want to do it you need to have the money for it" etc. It's unfortunate as I did somewhat get to know the people there and like I said it will be very awkward leaving, but after hearing everyone's opinions here it sounds like I'll be doing the right thing for sure

Smile and wave when you see them at horse shows. No need to feel awkward. People move on its life.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry - That's ridiculous. I'm in the Orlando area and you can be at a top notch place including training for $1500-$1800 a month, or at a very competitive but more "normal" type of barn with a top notch trainer with full training for about $1200.

The treadmill makes me think I know where it is, and if so, that is ridiculous. For that price, I would expect a covered arena, and they're selling you a huge line of BS if they let you think that their prices are what you'll have to pay to be competitive. IIRC that place also tells students that acceptable helmet brands are Charles Owen or GPA....

Honestly, I'd tell them you'd rather have your horse ridden by a trainer for what your paying in board, or that you'd rather have a covered arena in the FL summers.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    Sorry - That's ridiculous. I'm in the Orlando area and you can be at a top notch place including training for $1500-$1800 a month, or at a very competitive but more "normal" type of barn with a top notch trainer with full training for about $1200.

The treadmill makes me think I know where it is, and if so, that is ridiculous. For that price, I would expect a covered arena, and they're selling you a huge line of BS if they let you think that their prices are what you'll have to pay to be competitive. IIRC that place also tells students that acceptable helmet brands are Charles Owen or GPA....

Honestly, I'd tell them you'd rather have your horse ridden by a trainer for what your paying in board, or that you'd rather have a covered arena in the FL summers.
    Really glad I got some other opinions thanks. Me and my Charles Owen would really like a covered arena for summer...good point

$2100/month would get you full-care summer board at a super fancy H/J barn in the Hamptons on Long Island.
    For Orlando, holy smokes I think that's outrageous.

Down in S. Florida I pay less than half that for full-care board, training, and lessons at a really nice H/J facility.

You're definitely being taken advantage of!

Hey, I love my Charles Owen, however I'd probably steer a brand new student towards something more in the Troxel, Ovation, IRH price range. Honestly, I think they just want to be super exclusive but their services are not what I would expect for that price. I'd rather have my horse ridden than run it on a treadmill.

I might roll my eyes a little less if they'd build a covered arena but without one, their facilities, although beautiful, are incomplete at that price point.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    Ten? PLUS is more like it! I paid 25 a bale for high quality mixed grass hay!! Upward from $550 a ton...(North central FL)
    As I said, it was 30 years ago-- have no idea what it would cost now. In the 30 years I've been in NC, that $4/10 bale has more than doubled, making it perfectly sensible that it would now cost $25 in S. Fla.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post
    Thanks guys I think I will look at moving barns. I must admit I'm reluctant to do so because of how awkward it would be going to pick up all my things and moving to a barn not far away...then having to see them at shows! Any suggestions on how to deal with making a smooth break?!
    Just explain to management that you appreciate how well they have taken care of your horse, but the cost is out of line with comparable services in the area. If any of the other boarders ask, tell them the same. It's not like board prices are a state secret.

fish - early 80's. I was all over Plantation Acres and Huck Lyles back then.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post

fish - early 80's. I was all over Plantation Acres and Huck Lyles back then.
    OMG!! I suspected we had a bit in common-- but not that much! I lived within walking distance of Huck Lyles and had my horse there until it was sold, then galloped a few horses there afterwards while my horse lived in a couple different places, the last one across the street from Trudy Maxwell's, where I worked. Huck Lyles was an amazing education. What was it, something like 120 stalls, 3 sand turn-outs, a half mile track and huge show arena on maybe 7-10 acres-- with rodeo across the street?!!?? Amazing the horses and people who went in and out of that place: Gaited horses of all stripes, Finos, Andalusians, TB, QH, and even App. racehorses, Arabs, paints, HJ's, harness horses.... Far from an ideal place to keep a horse (were you there when they got the black walnut shavings to which 6 horses succumbed?), but was there ever a lot to be learned!!