The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Realistic Board Prices

Hi,

New to the forums but wanted to ask some seasoned horse people for some advice on realistic board prices in Florida.

I was recently paying $2,100 a month for basic board no lessons included and suspect I have been taken advantage of but I could be wrong. Granted the barn is beautiful...but after having looked at other prices I'm thinking of changing barns.

I wonder if any of you could give me your opinion on what's reasonable for a nice new barn, and how to go about switching barns if need be (given everyone knows each other in the horse world down here).

Thanks in advance!

Completely depends on your area and potentially your discipline (although not as much as area). I know that where I live, that would be out of the ball park for basic board that didn't include training but I'm sure it's not the same in other parts of the country.

yeah, that's more than my mortgage, and seems like a lot. What kinds of services are offered with that, like laundry service, etc?

I don't know about Florida, but in the Atlanta area, even some of the really high-end barns are less than that, with training or lessons included.

WOW. I don't live in FL so I don't know for sure but that seems like a LOT.

2 members found this post helpful.

That would be average around here. You'll need to give your location to get any helpful advice.

1 members found this post helpful.

What part of Florida? It's a big state, with enormous variations in the cost of everything from land to hay which affects the costs involved in running a stable. When I had a horse in Broward Co. 30+ years ago, a bale of hay worth $4 in Va. easily cost $10+ there.
    Last edited by fish; May. 29, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    yeah, that's more than my mortgage, and seems like a lot. What kinds of services are offered with that, like laundry service, etc?

I don't know about Florida, but in the Atlanta area, even some of the really high-end barns are less than that, with training or lessons included.
    Feed and laundry included. Treadmilling, lessons, grooming, tune up rides etc are all additional.

It's in Orlando Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiptotheStar View Post
    Completely depends on your area and potentially your discipline (although not as much as area). I know that where I live, that would be out of the ball park for basic board that didn't include training but I'm sure it's not the same in other parts of the country.
    Hunter/Jumper barn!

I could board 2 horses in my area at one of the fancy hunter barns for that price!! I could probably throw in some lessons or training too! But, I'm in SE VA, not Florida!

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post
    Feed and laundry included. Treadmilling, lessons, grooming, tune up rides etc are all additional.

It's in Orlando Florida.
    Good Lord you are paying WAY too much. Prices around that area are 300 to 1k a month. My last place I paid 500/mo and the trainer was a international grand prix rider. He still shows and brings the young ones along. I say shop around because there are tons of barns in the Orlando area.
    Last edited by Nikki^; May. 29, 2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Adding was. durr
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

4 members found this post helpful.

You gotta be kidding. $2100 a month and that doesn't include training rides, treadmill or grooming???

Around here (Dallas Fort Worth) full care board runs about $800 to $1,000 per month and that typically includes training rides, grooming and sometimes lessons or a certain number of lessons per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post

It's in Orlando Florida.
    Hm, yeah, if this is not all included, it's probably too high.

If you have shopped around and found other places that offer more services for less prices then that is probably a better way to judge where this price stands than asking people who live all over the place.

That's insane unless your barn looks like the Taj Mahal. I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and board is $750-$850 (pony or horse) for a nice-size box, your own private tack locker, hay 3xday, grain twice, mucking & bedding, water, blanketing as needed and general supervision of your horse (e.g., you pay for worming but the owner/trainer does the worming of all horses on a schedule). Nice facility with jumping ring, dressage ring and grass field for riding. If you cannot get out there to ride your horse, there are a number of good teenage riders out here who will hack it for you, if you want that done. Other services and lessons available for more money, of course. Frankly, I think the owner should charge a bit more and she might be getting ready for a modest increase.

Thanks guys I think I will look at moving barns. I must admit I'm reluctant to do so because of how awkward it would be going to pick up all my things and moving to a barn not far away...then having to see them at shows! Any suggestions on how to deal with making a smooth break?!

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Just simply explain That you love the place, but due to some finanical set backs you simply can no longer afford it . You do not have to elaborate

12 members found this post helpful.

I grew up riding around Tampa and that is an insane price for the area. I figured it was Grand Cypress, but they have closed, and then assumed it was Seabreeze - I looked them up and as of last fall, Seabreeze was charging $1850 INCLUDING training! Even in the very close suburbs of Boston (which has a much higher cost of living and horsekeeping), full care without training is generally just under $2k.

I have left a few barns because it was too expensive and it is a perfectly legitimate reason to give. Once it was as a junior on my parents' dime, and they told the trainer while they could afford it, they no longer wanted to. The other was recently as an adult and there are no hard feelings/it will not be weird to see anyone at shows. People move barns for all sorts of reasons frequently, and cost is one of the most above the board reasons to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    What part of Florida? It's a big state, with enormous variations in the cost of everything from land to hay which affects the costs involved in running a stable. When I had a horse in Broward Co. 30+ years ago, a bale of hay worth $4 in Va. easily cost $10+ there.
    Ten? PLUS is more like it! I paid 25 a bale for high quality mixed grass hay!! Upward from $550 a ton...(North central FL)
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    then assumed it was Seabreeze - I looked them up and as of last fall, Seabreeze was charging $1850 INCLUDING training! Even in the very close suburbs of Boston (which has a much higher cost of living and horsekeeping), full care without training is generally just under $2k.
    I thought the same thing, but I didn't think Wendy had raised her prices THAT much...*whew*

I lived in South Florida, and never paid more than $1600 for full care- including treadmill and grooming. Even when my horse was at a Vet's place in GPV for 4 months of rehab during the winter (3x/day on treadmill, every-other day evals by th vet, and daily riding) it was less than what you're paying...
    Time to move!

wow, I can't imagine the income you need for that kind of board prices. Without training rides or grooming??? that's nuts.
    I hope you find something else quickly. Who cares about seeing them at shows? Because you can still show ... on top of that board? I am curious as to how much they charge for THAT? trailering, coaching, wow...