The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mount from the ground?

http://www.horsenation.com/2013/05/2...om-the-ground/

Do you mount from the ground frequently? I have to say, this particular video is not centered behind the horse, so I think I have a problem with it from the get go. Still, it is interesting.

I never mount from the ground anymore, unless I have absolutely no choice. Even then, I can almost always find something to stand on .

I will if I absolutely have to - I don't think a few times will kill a horse - but it's not my preference.

I didn't watch the video, but I try to avoid mounting from the ground (especially being as I am not light, 5'5" and horse is 16.2+). Too hard in their back, too hard on the saddle's tree, too hard on my stirrup leathers.

I do trail ride often, and some times have to get off, but I find a rock, tree, dirt mound, just about anything to give me a bit of a boost.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've had to a few times, and it's good to know I CAN, since he's 16.3hh and I'm 5'1". However, I always try to use a mounting block or something else, because my horse has made it very clear he doesn't appreciate being mounted from the ground in a show his teeth (his grouchy expression results in pulled back lips, not like a dog threatening with showing its teeth) and uncomfortable weight shifts. He behaves for it, so I know the ability is there if needed - but his good behavior isn't something I feel a need to push when it does him no good.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I can,but I do not. I saw a lot of saddles compressed on the left owned by people who believed in mounting from the ground.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't ever mount from the ground. Part of it's a physical thing; even as a teen it was very hard for me and I usually had to let the stirrup leather out most of the way, unless I was riding a pony. When I returned to riding after a 25 year break, I was SO happy that mounting blocks are now standard, and no one picks on me for not being able to mount from the ground. Luckily my horse is well-schooled to mounting blocks and substitutes such as picnic tables!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I can and have done when necessary, but even though I'm 5'7", my 17+hh guy is a bit too much of a reach for me without a block -- especially given my trashed knee and ankle.

same here. for all the reasons stated.

People have made fun of me periodically because I'm 6' and usually on smaller horses. I just politely say, "I'm a lot of girl and I don't want to pull on my horse's back like that. Safer to use a block."
    : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Not unless I have to. I asked this question recently in the endurance forum and it was funny that a couple of people really thought it was some sort of sign of being a better rider if you can spring onto your horse from the ground....most disagreed .

No...I've been told it's bad for the horse's back so I don't do it.

Also, I ride a horse shaped like a beach ball, so there's way too much potential for saddle-slippage and other comedy.

i used to, but do not anymore, i started mounting from block when i realized how much the horse has to brace and how much the saddle pushes against the side of the withers when you mount from the ground.

I am happy to have the excuse now, because my arthritis is sp bad in my knees and hips it hurts like heck when i have to now
    Last edited by chisamba; May. 28, 2013 at 07:39 PM.

I can mount from the ground....now. I'd have to let down my stirrup though and am too lazy to fuss with bringing it back up (it's not an English saddle so the stirrup leather's are a bit different). My take:

1. I don't make a habit of it, but I'd like to be able to. If you're out on the trail and you need to get up on your horse you may not find a 4 step block so you best have a decent technique even from a tree stump.

2. I looked at the video and that's not how you're supposed to mount from the ground anyway. She's climbing up on the saddle using the saddle to pull herself up. That's not how I was taught to mount from the ground. You hold the reins and the mane at the wither, you put your foot into the stirrup, you grip the pommel (ish), and leap, using the mane grip to help you continue the momentum and you land lightly in the saddle. You don't hang on to the saddle cantle and use it to drag your inert butt into the saddle -duh it will torque.

Heck if that was the way you did it nobody would be able to get into a treeless saddle.

How not http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...QfE2Kdw_Q&NR=1

How to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWhSS9610AE

People (like me) can torque the saddle even from the mounting block by doing the same thing I described above -unless it's one of those really cool mounting platforms that have you so high you just sit down! I had to practice some fast twitch muscle exercises in order to become strong enough to mount properly -even from the mounting block. For example step ups on a chair using no hand.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I almost always mount from the ground unless the horse is quite large, or there is some other issue. I'm 5'8", about 130 lbs and in good shape. Most horses don't seem to care one way or the other.

Almost 50 years ago I was told that mounting from the ground wasn't good for you, the saddle or the horse. Granted that was in pre-stretch breech era. amazing how many knees went through the breeches.

When I was lithe enough and in dire straits, I dropped a stirrup. Now I'll find a rock, a ground rise, a bank, anything.

BTW In the video, she properly put her hand over thesaddle to the opposite panel. she did not grab the cantle.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'm 5'5" and ride a 14.3h Arab. I certainly can get on him easily from the ground, but I'd rather save the wear and tear on him and my saddles. I CAN get on drafts fr the ground if I have to, but I'd rather not.

Never. Necessity forced me to design a mounting platform that Mr. C'Mare built me. 5' 6" me wasn't ever gonna get on 17.3 Tank. Three steps up and three feet out. So nice.

My knees appreciate it for the dismount too... the hard landing from that height about killed me.

If I'm on trail and truly have to get off, I'll walk until we find an "up."

Both my mares are good at standing next to whatever the "up" is
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

[QUOTE=Isabeau Z Solace;7004061]http://www.horsenation.com/2013/05/2...om-the-ground/ [Quote]

While its not something i frequently practice, I do mount from the ground.
    although... if I mounted the way the lady does in that slomo video, I'm sure plenty of horses would be very uncomfortable and upset! NO use of the right hand should be used to pull you over. yikes. I can mount up from the ground while holding my cell phone in my right hand.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

The only time I mounted from the ground was when we were trail riding a year or so ago and I reached into my pocket to get the map and pulled out the map *and* my car keys, which fell on the ground. Trail buddy and I looked in horror as we realized that one of us was going to have to get off. I got off, got keys, and then found a nice deep ditch to put Mr Ay-rab in so that I could heave my 60-ish body up and on.

I really wondered for a second what he would think as I had never mounted him without a mounting block before. Fortunately he's a good boy and did his job and stood there.

Trail buddy has had to use a picnic table before after an unplanned dismount...

Otherwise, I'm too old, too round, and own a too tall horse to mount from the ground!

I don't unless absolutely necessary and I can't remember the last time it was absolutely necessary. Even on trails I can always find a ditch, a stump, a fence, or a down tree to give me a boost. Even my trainer uses a mounting block when getting onto my pony (14.1 hand) and she is probably 5'8" or taller. She has no problem getting on from the ground but it is just not something we do.