The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, how miserable is Chatt Hills or River Glen ...

in the summer?

I don't do humidity very well, but am looking for a couple of possible events to do in July-Aug. And the 900 miles to those two locales are closest to DFW. Ugh.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

If you don't do humidity well...I would avoid TN/GA in the summer...its usually pretty miserable. I like Chatt Hills better than River Glen (courses, venue etc) personally, but...no matter what its probably going to be pretty darn hot and humid. I've done Poplar in the summer and its brutal. BUT...given enough water and a fit horse, its definitely doable, but just be aware summer is pretty rotten here no matter what! I'm hoping to have my young horse out at Chatt Hills in August so if you head this way we'd love to meet you!

I live in Atlanta, and it is HOT in July/August - like 100s. BUT! I am more miserable in Chicago or SC or FL in July/August than I am in Atlanta. It doesn't seem as humid (or something?). It just feels like you are under a really warm electric blanket or like you have the heat on full blast in the car. It isn't as sticky. I am still not sure if I would be keen to event in it though.

That is my very scientific opinion....

River Glen would be a much better option for weather taking into consideration that it's in August AND it's not as hot in TN than in GA. River Glen's show grounds are also really nicely laid out so that trailer parking is close to the stables, and warmup rings/show jumping rings are all within viewing distance of the barns. It's a great show if you are worried about the humidity and sludging back and forth to walk your courses etc. River Glen hands down.

But Chatt Hills is a really lovely venue, although everything is really spread out if you are worried about heat exhaustion/humidity. It's not impossible to hike back and forth, but comparing to River Glen, it is a lot more of a walk between "activities."

If you have never been to either venue I would choose Chatt if you are more interested in a upper scale, "polished," event but if you are more interested in weather and closeness of show grounds i would choose River Glen.

Does that help?

I would pick Chatt Hills. River Glen may be "slightly" cooler, though still, hot, but the team at Chatt Hills does an excellent job preparing the footing for the July event.

The tracks will be watered and prepared so the horses are not running on concrete. River Glen is a beautiful show, but I don't like the footing as much.

I did Chatt Hills last July and it was actually not bad. Rode fairly early, hung out in the lake the rest of the day

I don't know your address to check, but Flagstaff may not be much longer. It's 955 from the airport according to mapquest.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

Noctis, if you do Chatt at all, you'd best let me know cuz I'll be on the course judging!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Come up to Richland! Yes, it's bloody far away, but you could stay with us!
    Click here before you buy.

Honestly the better question is, does your *horse* do heat/humidity well?

I normally lay mine off in August - the only time I didn't was one year when I was chasing points (in the hunters) and it was so hot I *knew* nobody else was going to go to that thing. Horsie got heatstroke within 1 hour of getting off the trailer and we had to bathe him in cold water and go home! You could not PAY me enough to try it again.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Noctis, if you do Chatt at all, you'd best let me know cuz I'll be on the course judging!
    Yes ma'am! I will have the new baby out as soon as possible, we think he'll be ready for the August HT!

We routinely run River Glen in August, no issues. The river seems to keep temps cool. I find northern venues have more "concrete."

Thanks all! Just trying to figure out our options.

Santa Fe and Goose Downs are also options.

And DW, Gold Chip has Richland on its schedule, so depending on how a couple of things play out in the next few weeks, we may be making the trek!!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Cindi-
    I love Coconinos summer series for the lower levels it is such a nice venue. But I went to Chatt last summer and will be going again this summer. I honestly didn't think it was that hot... I mean we are Texans right lol
    Angela Grzywinski
    For all your dog needs visit:
    www.milliondollarmutt.com

It's pretty dang hot there. It's down in a bowl or a valley so it doesn't allow much of a breeze. We had a horse colic there last year and had to rush him to UT down in Knoxville. Now we use the KPP Summer Games Electrolyte and so far no probs.

Here's the helmet cam from XC course in April.

http://youtu.be/jm5BiI9yTbM

I haven't been to RG, but... I did a July show at Chatt Hills one year and GOT SO LUCKY!!! It was honestly cool I don't know how I lucked out but it was the one weekend of overcast, super cool weather. It was great

I will say that they do a good job of keeping the footing as unpacked as possible. BUT.. there is a LOT of dust despite watering the roads, so if that bothers you or your horse, keep that in mind. They did move big water troughs down to XC warm up and finish line so you could soak your pony and give it water.

Last year Chatt had major storms several afternoons, and it was miserably hot. The footing could have been a bit better, though they did try, but with the georgia clay....you can't do a ton. It is nice having the back to back venue. I have never done TN, but this year, we are thinking going there. Just with the bit of elevation change, the tree's and the river, I am betting it will be cooler.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

It's a straight up fluke to catch a nice, low humidity weekend in Georgia in July. I was there for the Chatt July event that Holly mentioned, but truly it's a fluke better to plan on hot, hot, hot and steamy. I know in past years the xc at Chatt started early and they tried to be done midday-ish. They do all they can to make it work.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

My horse AND I don't do the heat/humidity very well. I always joke to my family that I need to move back to Toronto (where I was born).

For me, it's just too miserable, and now that we deal with anhidrosis, there's no way I would put my horse through it. We simply don't event in the summer.
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

We had a choice of chatt or texas rose this summer, we choose chatt b/c it is slightly better then the texas heat
    No Worries!

It's going to be hot anywhere in the summer (I've sweltered at the KHP as much as I have north GA), so I'd pick the venue with the better footing. I think Chatt Hills is a much nicer venue and I would expect the summer footing to be better.