The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TV's Does it Really Matter? & Corner stands

I'm in need of a new TV and will be getting my first ever flat screen. I've kind settled on a 42" LG. One is on sale for about $450 and the other is $559. As near as I can tell the differences are that the cheaper on is 60hz and has 3 hdmi ports and the more expensive one has 2hdmi ports and 120hz. I've been reading some articles and one said that because of the way the movies are made that 60 hz should be fine and the other said there are advantages for 120 hz. So, how much does it really matter? (these are not smart tv's as I don't have internet at home and am not likely to any time soon).

Also, does anyone have a corner tv stand that you particularly like? If so, do you have a link to it?

Thanks!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I'm in the exploring stages myself, but for a smaller TV (to fit the space my analog TV lives in now) and my understanding is that if you tend to watch a lot of fast moving sports (think following a hockey puck) that you would be happier with the 120Hz, but that otherwise 60Hz is acceptable.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

I went and looked at a lot of TVs before I settled on my Toshiba. I finally ended up choosing by the picture I liked best rather than what salespeople told me although I did listen to one who said you have to like the picture quality, regardless of brand or bells and whistles. I ended up with the Toshiba because it had a nice picture and was the only brand that was in the size I needed rather than wanted - I wanted a 48" but only had room for 34" maximum and ended up with 33" which fits perfectly. I don't much care for the sound as it hasn't any depth but if I had any ambition to crawl around behind, I could fix that with el cheapo speakers in a minute. Mine's 60hz and good enough to watch racing and football and is great to watch Mythbusters explosions, so I am happy.

Get the one that you like the picture quality on, and figure out what you are going to add to it and go from there.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I have a 32" LG 60Hz and it works very well for me. With a tv that wide, make sure it will sit far enough back on the stand to be safe. I was lucky when I moved here and went appliance shopping. The appliance place I went to for the washer and dryer has everything, and they had an entire wall of TV's, so I could see the picture on everything. That made choosing very easy.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I have a 42" Phillips and this corner stand from LLBean: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56824...orner-tv-stand The stand is very high quality and was easy to put together. I thought it was a very fair price.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Thanks folks! The problem I'm having with corner stands is that there is a large flat portion in the back on many of them which would prevent it from going as far into the corner as I would like. My fear is that one of the cats will get back there and then knock the tv forward trying to get back out. Websites don't seem to give the measurement of that flat back portion. Any further suggestions are welcomed!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

We really like our corner stand! I was suprised at the reasonable price.

http://tv-stands.officefurniture.com...SAU-55554.aspx

Oh, and yes,our cat does climb back there. My rolled up yoga mat on one side did the trick. I would think actually that I could move it now but it has made such a nice storage spot