The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default North Florida

Help me convince my husband to move here. Anyone live there and can recommend cities and neighborhoods?

Can you be more specific as to why you want to move here and where in North Florida are you thinking of?

I currently live in Tampa and have lived in Ocala and Morriston for 13 years.

So pros to the western central areas I have lived in:

The gulf coast
    great weather 10 months out of the year
    sleeping with the windows open from october to april
    horses and horse shows
    cool evenings most months
    no shoveling snow
    no ice storms
    can wear flip flops nearly year round
    the Atlantic
    grow season is from sept to may (if you do veggies and can do it well)
    sunsets

cons:
    love bugs
    hurricanes
    tourists
    bad drivers
    sunburn
    the first summer
    cutting the grass near year round

There are more, I am currently mesmerized by the Atlantic Ocean view of my father's house

I'm in Jacksonville. Where do you live now? What do you mean by North Florida"

My favorite areas in Florida are from St. Augustine to North of Jacksonville. It's kind of rednecky in some areas, but the climate is a little better up there, and there is some open land still. I like Ocala, too, but prefer the East Coast (I surf as well, so need the waves). I live in E. Central Florida, and the waves are the best here, which is why I stay, but for horsekeeping I'd rather be further North.

thatmoody-that is the exact area we are interested in. Around Ponte Vedra and Flagler beach.

anna's girl-are you inland or on the beach? We would love to be 15 minutes to the beach from our home.

We currently live in Atlanta and would like to escape the traffic and crime.

Flagler beach is a pretty awesome area (it doesn't hurt that some of the best waves I've ever caught have been at the Flagler pier ). It was a pretty cool day. Depending on your discipline, there is not a HUGE selection of trainers up there (it is a little light on dressage, although I think that Dean Graham will travel to that area? There are a few others, as well), but it IS a fairly horsey area if you like Western .

thatmoody-we were at Flagler beach at the pier just last week. I have never seen waves that large in that area of Florida. There were a zillion surfer dudes we enjoyed watching from the bar right there on the pier.

I want to move there!!!!

Just South of Flager is Ormond. Super cute, pretty quiet, close to the beach, Daytona. My father and his girlfriend live right on the Halifax River where they see dolphins play, fish jump, and two days ago there were 6 manatees!

I am unaware of the horse scene here as I come mainly to veg out and stare at the water.

The area you want to move to is still home for me no matter where the Air Force decides that me or my husband need to live. Some of the best memories of my life are right there on Flagler beach. As far as getting away from the crime, it's one of the best places. My parents were never ok with me heading north in Jax city without a plan, going to St. Augustine for the day with the girls? No problem. Now traffic on the other hand...during the off season is pretty decent, during the summer not as much but I still didn't have any problems getting around in a decent amount of time. I grew up in Green Cove Springs which is north of St. Augustine and has some great horsey areas and central enough for just about any H/J trainer and there's at least one event trainer I know of in the Jax area.

I live in North Central Florida just west of US 75 and love it. It is great country for horse people. I moved here from Massachusetts thirteen years ago and found that horse keeping is less than half of what it cost there. I have 15 acres and my property tax is $641 per year with an agricultural exemption. I didn't ask for the exemption, but that clerk in the tax office said I should have it. There is no income tax. My horses are healthy and happy with their 24 hour turnout. I love the turkey, deer, and foxes that visit the property. There are horse people from many different countries that live in the area. There are excellent trainers in every horse discipline and many horse shows nearby. Tom Noone, who I trained with in Mass., winters 15 minutes away. Dean and Megan Graham are close by at The Oaks in Lake City. The Winter weather is wonderful. It sometimes gets below freezing here, but I have never needed winter gloves. I love not having to deal with a frisky horse while snow is sliding off the arena roof.
    I would rather deal with the heat than the snow. In the summer I ride around 7 pm which is bearable. There are no mosquitoes here which I attribute to the bird population, but the gnats are horrible. I deal with them with a combination of Swat, face masks, and long forelocks.

Quote Originally Posted by capricorn View Post
    I live in North Central Florida just west of US 75 and love it. It is great country for horse people. I moved here from Massachusetts thirteen years ago and found that horse keeping is less than half of what it cost there. I have 15 acres and my property tax is $641 per year with an agricultural exemption. I didn't ask for the exemption, but that clerk in the tax office said I should have it. There is no income tax. My horses are healthy and happy with their 24 hour turnout. I love the turkey, deer, and foxes that visit the property. There are horse people from many different countries that live in the area. There are excellent trainers in every horse discipline and many horse shows nearby. Tom Noone, who I trained with in Mass., winters 15 minutes away. Dean and Megan Graham are close by at The Oaks in Lake City. The Winter weather is wonderful. It sometimes gets below freezing here, but I have never needed winter gloves. I love not having to deal with a frisky horse while snow is sliding off the arena roof.
    I would rather deal with the heat than the snow. In the summer I ride around 7 pm which is bearable. There are no mosquitoes here which I attribute to the bird population, but the gnats are horrible. I deal with them with a combination of Swat, face masks, and long forelocks.
    Couldnt say it better myself.

Also in the Jax area is Marcea Funk and her Market Street Equestrian. Happy planning!
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I live a little inland, I'm about 15 mins from the beach, but I keep my horse north of me about 30 mins away.
    A good portion of Jacksonville isn't far from the beach at all. Ponte Vedra is nice, not much beach access though unless you live in one of "those houses" Boarding is super expensive there too. I don't know anything about Flagler.