The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My high school English teacher won $33.3 million dollars in the lottery. Taught until she was eligible for her pension and built a McMansion down the street from my parent's farm. It has 17 fireplaces, an indoor pool, basketball court and tennis court. Attached 4 car garage and detached 6 car garage with art studio above. It's beautiful but a little over the top for just her and her husband. If I won, I'd still want a tiny house - less upkeep. I'd spend the money elsewhere - like a huge barn and indoor arena.

4 members found this post helpful.

My biggest victory is $15 on a scratch off

It's always nice to hear stories about people who have actually won something substantial. Makes me think that maybe, just maybe, it could happen to me.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I know of somebody who won around $9 million in the lottery. It must be 10-15 years ago by now.

When I heard about it, I figured knowing him, he would probably just keep coming to work every day, but maybe in a nicer car. That's about what happened.

He was pretty smart about not releasing his name, and with my friend's help got some good financial advice.
    Don't most lotteries require you to release your name & likeness for advertising, promotional purposes, etc.? Illinois does:

If I win big, can I avoid having my name released?

To assure other players that prizes are actually paid, the Lottery publishes the name, home city and amount won. We will not, however, release the addresses or telephone numbers of winners. Multi-million dollar winners must participate in a one-time news conference.

Depends on the state. Some states you can remain anonymous.

We won, sort of... we bought land for the horses; turned out we had the mineral rights and were paid nearly what we paid for the place just for the drilling rights. The first well hit three years ago and has constantly producted 100,000 million cubic ft per month which we get 2%. This well is adnormal as most well's production drop greatly after twelve months.

Expected production life has been estimated between 50 and 75 years as there is two other pockets of gas and two pools of oil know to extist under our land.

We set a trust for the family up to handle the funds.

7 members found this post helpful.

Clanter, congrats on being in the tiny. tiny minority who actually came out ahead because of an investment in horses!! Or land for horses, anyway.

3 members found this post helpful.

In today's local news- two brothers sitting at a bar...playing scratch off tickets and drinking beer. The one decides he's done playing tickets, the other slides another $20 in front of him and says go get it, we'll play one more and split what we win....Brother goes and gets the ticket, tells other brother to meet him in the bathroom. He had scratched off a million dollar winner. They go back and quietly drink their beer, then leave. Decide to meet in the morning and go together to the lottery to turn in the ticket. Brother doesn't show in the morning......other is concerned, calling, calling,calling- no answer. Finally he gets a call back from the missing brother who proceeds to tell him that he went to the lottery by himself and as it turns out the ticket was a loser, not a winner. Asked to produce ticket and tells brother he threw it on the floor in disgust, doesn't have it. Turns out the bar gets a phone call from the lottery telling them that they sold a million dollar ticket. Brother lied. Now, the one who slid the $20 and said go get the ticket is suing the one who scratched off the ticket and then claimed it wasn't a winner. What kind of family does that?!?!?!?
    Kerri

Ooof. A family that will involve relatives spitting on the graves of other family members. Very unfortunate.

Does marrying a rich person count?

1 members found this post helpful.

Years ago I knew a guy that hit for 3 million. He partied hard, bought houses, cars etc. Got himself a string of girlfriends and bought them all boobs. One girl I worked with dated him, he bought her boobs, a house and mint '69 Camaro. One night he rear-ended a cop, drunk, leaving a strip club in his Corvette, totaled it and the cop car. That began a series of DUIs, cocaine busts and jail sentences. Last I heard he's living at home with his mom...everything's been sold or repossessed. All the girlfriends are gone. Obviously all the money is gone too. He had one hell of a party while it lasted though.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Does marrying a rich person count?
    It does to us if it does to you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    Years ago I knew a guy that hit for 3 million. He partied hard, bought houses, cars etc. Got himself a string of girlfriends and bought them all boobs. One girl I worked with dated him, he bought her boobs, a house and mint '69 Camaro. One night he rear-ended a cop, drunk, leaving a strip club in his Corvette, totaled it and the cop car. That began a series of DUIs, cocaine busts and jail sentences. Last I heard he's living at home with his mom...everything's been sold or repossessed. All the girlfriends are gone. Obviously all the money is gone too. He had one hell of a party while it lasted though.
    Well at least the boobs will live on!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I dream of it sometimes, but then I never buy tickets.... so what are my chances. My uncle in France keeps winning some 5 000, 10 000 and even 20 000 euros. He really does not need them...