The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you know anyone who has won big?(lottery, etc.)

Sometimes I dream about winning something.(I am like the world's biggest loser at most stuff), but serously do you know anyone who has won something big? Not personally, but bil claimed to win a car(we never saw it). He was also a big fabricator of lies.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I've won small stuff, most recently a cooler from COTH (Thanks) but a golfing buddy of Mr P won $800K from the Va Lottery
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

My brother's college roommate won $1 million in the Maine State lottery, many years ago. Back then, it seemed like a ton of money...he took it as an annuity and was getting $20,000 a year for I forget how many years. Quite a bundle for a college student in the early 1980s!

1 members found this post helpful.

A fellow Purchasing Agent with another nearby city hit the Fla lotto for 16.5 million about 2 years ago just as she was retiring, couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

When the Fla lottery first came out, I had a male secretary and his family hit it, but there were several other winners at the same time. They opted for the yearly paymenty of $75,000 for 20 years which made their lives awhole lot easier (family of 5) but the parents still worked and wanted the kids to finish college, and get jobs. It was enough to pay for college, buy nicer stuff, etc.

I'm pretty lucky with small raffles (won a prize yesterday at a ride) but haven't been lucky with lotto yet...

Some neighbors/friends in VA hit the WV lotto for nearly $6million. He worked concrete, she worked at Mickey D's. Couldn't have happened to more wonderful people. They lived very modestly after, really just splurged on trips to Vegas for shows. The financial trouble started when he got into racehorses. He has since passed, I don't know the widow's financial situation now
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

My old busdriver won around 1.6 million! He was such a nice man and so deserved it. We'd spend the whole ride home talking about horses(he raised QH's) and we'd argue back and forth what was the better breed, Arabs or QH's lol.

And a few months ago a friend of mine's co-worker won around 23 million! 24 years old and a rcepionist, yeah she quit her job.

Oh and I just remembered another friend of mine won $100,000 on a $20 scratch ticket. He had just started his 14 day shift out of town, and the camp lady came around selling tickets and assorted goodies, he said no to the tickets but wanted gum, so when the lady pulled a pack out, a scratch ticket came with it, so he said screw it and bought the ticket, and voila $100,000!
    He said it was the longest 14 days of his life to wait to get home and redeem his ticket lol.

Growing up, my best friend's mother won a car and more recently, one of my brother's friends hit the lottery, not just once but twice. $100,000 the first time, $50,000 the second.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Yep, a neighbor won 20 some million. He then drank himself to death. Pretty sad.

I love to hear people saying that "it couldn't have happened to a nicer person." Of course, that's not always true, but still nice when it does happen.

While this isn't "big" in monetary value, I won a walk on part to the Music Man on Broadway in NYC. It was a pretty big deal for me; I'm not someone who dreams of being an actor, but Broadway?? It was awesome.

10 members found this post helpful.

I knew a couple that won $14 million. She was a lawyer and he was a building contractor, so they were comfortable already, but it allowed them to do everything they'd ever dreamed of wih horses, a shared passion.

Two funny things I remember them splurging on: I think they had 5 or six different trucks and trailers, ranging from a half ton witha two horse for local trips to lessons, to a four horse slant with air ride a full living quarters witha custom 1 ton for long weekends away. The funny part was that they had more rigs than horses, I think he most they ever had were 5! The other funny one was the stalls in their barn were enourmous, like 40 x 40, you could practically ride in them.

Really sweet people though.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

A guy who worked for my dad won the lottery...4.5 million dollars. He was 63 and retired immediately, they moved to Arizona, and he golfed every single day for the next 20 years when he died. His widow is still alive, living happily ever after.

5 members found this post helpful.

Several years ago I was squeezed into this little room in an insurance company with 2 other gals. The 3 of us were hired at the same time, and responsible for handling a huge pile of insurance work since two companies had merged. One was very flirty and outgoing (and obnoxious!). The other very mousy and quiet - never said "boo" unless spoken to.

Eventually we each got our own individual offices. Shortly afterwards, it was announced on the news that someone locally had won the lottery - forget the amount, but it was hefty at the time. Several of us were standing around the water cooler that morning speculating who might have won it. Several hours went by, and suddenly "flirty" squeals out loud so that the entire office could hear her screams. She had wandered into "mousy's" office to ask a question, and "mousy" happened to mention that her sister and brother-in-law had won the lottery.

She had sat there all morning diligently doing her work, never mentioning it. Of course we were all dying to find out what they were going to do with it. "Invest it and keep working" was her response, as she softly returned to her desk.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I think 20-25 years ago a step-cousin won it. $1M at the time. She spent it fast lived high on the hawg for a year or two then, all gone. Left with all the bills and nothing to show for it.

But nobody I know now has.

WISH it was me, but, nope.

My Auntie Jean won $25,000 on from some lottery thing. She took the whole family to Disney World I went, so it's kind of like I won too.

I won a truck back in 1995...right after the "new" Dodge body style came out. When the call came, I thought it was a prank, and said "OK, who is this really?" but it was true. So I got a brand new Dodge pickup for just the cost of paying the taxes. And there is no reason for me to ever buy a lottery ticket, since my lucky streak is all used up.

Oh yeah. My MIL had just bought the house that Merle Butler in Red Bud, IL grew up in from the family when he was one of three that won the biggest Powerball ever. He still owns the empty lot next door to her and when he mows that, he mows my MIL's lawn as well. MIL says that they are nice people!

A good friend of mine's friends with benefits won 22 million about 20 years ago. He was a bit of an ass anyway, but I don't think he became something mud different. He was pretty smart about not releasing his name, and with my friend's help got some good financial advice.

My boyfriend gave me a bunch of scratch off tickets for valentines day this year. I won $4, 000 on one. I was pretty happy to say the least.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I guess you get your luck in different ways - ours has never been money, but
    our health is a good substitute.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

When I was on my WEG trip, the very nice family I was staying with took me out to dinner that night. Somehow, I mentioned, "If I ever won the lottery," and they both started laughing their heads off.

Turns out, a few years ago, the husband and his best friend always pooled their money on lottery tickets each weekend for the big draw. Didn't go crazy buying them, but figured they were doubling their chances, and agreed to split the dough. Every Friday, husband would give buddy $$, and buddy would buy the tickets for Saturday.

One weekend, husband had some function he was eager to get out of work for. He only realized later that evening, "I forgot to give buddy money for my half of the tickets. Oh well, we never win. I'll just pick up the routine again next week."

Yep. His friend, the ONE weekend in forever that he himself hadn't bought into a pool with him, hit the big jackpot that weekend.

They both laughed about it at this point years later, but I would have hated to have to tell the wife that one at the time. "Honey, you know that jackpot winner last weekend? Well, that was buddy, but no, we weren't on the tickets with him this time."