The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many people don't have a smart phone?

I don't. I have a cell phone that I carry for emergencies, but it's a very basic thing. I never have it on, and, really, the only thing I even know how to do with it is call out if I need to.

Sometimes, I hear about some fancy thing-a-ma-bob or another that these smart phones have, and I think it would be nice to have the phone to be able to do that, but I always manage to talk myself out of it because I just don't want to be "connected" at all times. I don't want to be in the middle of a conversation face to face with someone, have to phone ring, and cut them off with an "I have to answer this." I don't want to have to remember to turn the thing off if I'm in a movie theater, or someplace similar. I don't even want to be connected to the internet all the time. I'm on it far too much as it is.

I have a couple of friends who feel the same, but, sometimes, I think that we're the only dinosaurs left. Or, are there others like me, who have barely made it into the last half of the 20th century, much less into the 21st?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I posted here a few OT days ago asking advice about Straight Talk thru Walmart. I've got one of the basic-er models. It IS 'net accessible but I only use on occasion for weather checks.

No desire for a smart phone here. Thanks.

No Smartphone for me either. I sit at a computer all day- no need to have one following me around all the time too
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I too sit at a computer all day and I have a dumb phone I've even had texting turned OFF because I don't want to...

I lost my Blackberry years ago when they were fashionable and I grieved for the stupid thing. A lot of pics went with it. I got a basic standard sprint phone and only use it for calling. I live alone and highway drive all the time so I do feel safer for it, but I refuse to pay those add on charges. Just color me gray for dinosaur!

Louise my post would be exactly like yours. I too have a cell for emergencies only. I hate seeing people walking around talking to "no one". Friends of mine while visiting get calls about nonsensical stuff that could wait till later to be discussed. I find these interruptions very annoying.

I used to have a droid, no more. Went back to a flip phone. G'zone Ravine, ruggedized.

Love the savings. I didn't need all that stuff on the phone, nor the $$$ monthly contract either.

Less is best for me.

Louise, you know very well I'm one of those dinosaurs. I will admit that I wouldn't mind if my very basic phone did take pics but so far, I really haven't had the need to do it. I've got a phone through t-mobile and it's basically a prepaid card I guess. I pay anywhere from $10-25 per YEAR for mine and if I renew before the year is up, all the minutes tranfer over. I think I have about 3-4 hours of minutes. On ocassion I will remember to use it for a long distance call to my brother in AL to keep my landline bill a bit lower. I do consider it strictly for emergencies-basically the "Help I've fallen and can't get up!"

I know how to send calls and answer them even though I did have trouble this Sunday when Louise and I were heading over to a local restaurant for lunch. I know I can store #'s in it and text but haven't bothered to read the directions. Since I have a frequent calling list printed out for all the landline phones in the house and barn I just tossed another one in the truck so I didn't have to worry about trying to remember how to find a stored number.

My cell phone lives on my body with the exception of when I take a shower and in bed sleeping because I live alone on a farm and have 2 horses. While the horses are very well mannered retirees, as horse people we know anything can happen at any time. Besides I can be really klutzy and fall over my own 2 feet.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a phone killer. I have a Samsung Rugby flip phone, and although I'm not thrilled with it, I've not yet killed it (tempting fate here, I'm sure). Half the time I leave it in the car, the rest of the time, it's in the house somewhere.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't, no one here does, since they are all on my, long off contract, affordable family plan. The data plans are WAY too expensive, just ridiculous, when and if they do something about the pricing, I might consider it, but not with what they are charging now. I use decent dumb phones and keep them until they break, rather than replacing them when they are eligible for an upgrade.

I have an EnV Touch...sort of the predecessor to the "smart phone". It has a touch screen and can get some internet (I'm required to get 25MB a month for it), but it certainly doesn't do any of the main "smart phone" things. I thought it had died this past week (and nearly had a meltdown because of it), but nope! That thing has 9 lives. I was so happy to see a bunch of them on eBay so when mine finally kicks it, I can hopefully replace it!

I've been tempted to make the leap to a smartphone, but can't justify spending the $$..especially when signal at my house is touch-n-go.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I counted you in my "couple of friends," msj And, it is encouraging to hear that there are others like me out there.

There was a Walmart commercial running for quite some time where the salesman is "helping" a family reduce their monthly phone bill. I don't remember the exact dollar amounts, but I almost had a cow the first time I heard him say that it would reduce their monthly bill from somewhere around $600 to somewhere around $400. They couldn't drag $400, or even $200, out of me for that kind of phone service.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I also have just a very basic phone, mostly in case of emergencies. I have a 9 year old son, so I do leave it on so that the school can contact me if he gets sick or injured. I also use it to call family members long distance since it's cheaper than using the house phone. But it doesn't get a ton of use.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have an old slide phone. I'm too cheap to upgrade to a smart phone, and I feel like I'd just waste time on it. I have a laptop and a kindle, I think I have access if I need it.

My coworkers like to mock me for this, but when we were in a conference last week, they were constantly looking for places to charge their smart phones. I was like "wow, I bet you guys wish you had a phone with a battery that lasts for days like mine, huh?"

I have a smart phone but my poor smart phone has a dinosaur, luddite owner. DH needed to have a Samsung Galaxy to play with the apps for his job...so I became the owner because he already has some kind of smart phone. He got a semi good deal on cost (only doubled my cost instead of tripling it). Sometimes it's nice to have the different features but in general I use a phone to make and receive calls and pick up voice mail. I have no need for all the extra features.

I have one, and a Kindle. So there

I travel a fair amount and mobile books are important to me.
    I use my phone when traveling to look up random stuff I'd like to know right now. Sunday I shot a short video while riding and slapped it on Facebook when we let the horses catch their breath. My horse has been having breathing issues so I did it b/c I COULD, you know? I wanted to share the fact he's back on the trail and going well.
    I have three different email accounts- work, personal, and a club I preside over. If I'm stuck in traffic sitting on I65, I can check them and deal with them.

My husband used to think I was crazy to have such a thing. Since then we've used it to navigate to restaurants on vacation, look up types of birds while also on vacation, etc: he's changed his mind He doesn't have or want one: he's got mine

I do not, however, have a maid, a ferret, or a zepellin does that make me special in some way LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RobinL View Post
    . . . .and I have a dumb phone I've even had texting turned OFF because I don't want to...
    Same here! Have a basic "candy bar" model that I received completely free (including shipping) from "Consumer Cellular" several years ago. My plan with tax, etc., comes to around $23/month for something like 300 minutes, but I can change plans anytime I want & as often as I want - no additional charges. LOVE Consumer Cellular. Oh - & had my texting disabled as well. Won't use it & don't want anyone else contacting me by it.

I find it absolutely INSANE how utterly involved folks are with these gadgets. (And I'm definitely NOT talking about folks who need them for business or want to keep in touch with their children.) It's like they'll shrivel up & die if they're not connected to the Internet/friends/photos/the world 24/7. It's like it's unfathomable to them how anyone had real lives before this technology. Wonder if they all know how much "real life" they're missing out on?

I am one of the ones who likes technology, and really loves my phone (iPhone). However, here lately I've been thinking of downsizing everything in life, phone included. Why do I need 24/7 access to Facebook? I admit, having access to my banking is handy, but if my phone gets hacked then so too does my banking info. Unfortunately, I am only a year into my 2-year contract, and so am stuck paying $119 per month for phone service. Once this next year is up, though, I think I'll go back to the un-smart phone.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Default Ahhh a Thread I can relate to :)

I'm a dinosaur
    My AT&T pay-as-you-go GoPhone has a cute little flashlight in the top so I can find the hole to stick the house key in the lock.

My son programmed the address book so I can call family, vets, farrier, and a horsey neighbor. No Internet access. I do not Face, Space, Text, nor Tweet. Although it has the capability, I don't know how to take pics - much less how to upload or send them anywhere

It drives my kids crazy that I keep it turned off most of the time, but like msj it does stay on my person unless I'm in the shower. When I'm sleeping it's right next to my glasses and backpack.

I buy a $100.00 card once a year and for the last four years have never run out of minutes. They roll over if I renew before it's due, so right now I'm 985 minutes to the good

The darned thing saved my life last summer. I hitched a ride on the Big Red Truck to the ER and the First Responders could reach my family easily due to Paramedic son programming ICE numbers

I hate trying to hold a conversation with someone who has a phone glued in front of their face. Another reason why I refer my horses to people.
    Last edited by HorsesRMyTherapy; May. 28, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Grammar
    HRMT

No smart phone, no e-reader, no tablet, no high-speed (I may change THAT as at bare minimum it makes it hard download updates, now that there's an option besides satellite), no DVR....I have no problem having a cell phone, but it's a PHONE. I call people, they call me. I do NOT need 24/7 internet time.