The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Lady Eboshi, I don't disagree with you that the military overextension was a huge part of the issue with it - it was. But I'm not sure your solution is going to happen.

However - What you are missing is what happened in the period between the collapse and the rebuilding. Lots of people were displaced, hungry and life was difficult during those adjustments, which is the type of thing I am preparing for.

To boot, pandemics happen, civil wars happen, and the GMO issue, and all of a sudden it makes sense to not be a sitting duck. I don't think any of us are talking about sitting on our porches right now with a sawed off shotgun, but instead quietly buying/preparing the things we need to be safe should any one of the above occur.

That's all.
    Sure can't argue with that! There is NO down-side to self-sufficiency. It's just the brush-fire apocalyptic thing that I think is a little overplayed. Maybe it would be a positive choice if we all pulled together to find solutions, rather than the "abandon ship, every man for himself" mentality. Just sayin'.

1 members found this post helpful.

Disaster planning is useful to do, and I'm enjoying this discussion. For years, it was hard for me to contemplate difficulties beyond the current challenges. One does grow up and get broader shoulders. An area that creeps me out is geoengineering and climate manipulation - it is already occurring. I did a search of the term on the BBC website and came up with this article - disaster identification on a global scale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20931606

2 members found this post helpful.

After what happened in Cyprus, we decided to withdraw all our money from the bank,except what is needed for monthly expenses, and we bought a gun safe and put it there. Used to be that the interest paid by the bank made it worthwhile to keep money there but not anymore. And as soon as I can, I will pull my money out of my 401k. We both hunt and fish plus my husband is a great gardener, so we should be ok there. I plan to have the next few horses I bred and raised trained to pull a buggy in addition to being rideable.
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon