The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This past fall Dh ad I went to Manassas Va. for my uncles 80th b-day. As it had it had been a while since I had been there Dh had the brilliant idea to use the GPS to get there.

It take about 6hrs- 8hrs to get to Washington DC if the traffic is with you so a bit less to get to Warrington where my cousin lives.
    12hrs later we are still driving... Because we followed the GPS.. Talk about over the river and through the woods. The drive was beautiful very senac.. up and down up and down..
    On the way back I insitisted that I navigated using the maps I collected at the state lines. We got home in in about 7hrs..
    Friend of bar .ka

Bum, there are usually 3 settings with a GPS; fastest route, shortest route, and avoid highways. They'll all take you different ways. Sounds like yours was set to avoid highways.

I make sure to set mine by fastest route. Shortest route may be less miles, but it usually takes longer because some of the directions are back roads.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I just recently purchased a car with a GPS system in it. I can live without it and most of my big trips are in a vehicle without one. I like the using the GPS because it reduces my nervousness about missing an exit or street because it lets me know when it is coming up. But, I do plan my route ahead of time using Google Maps and "memorize" it before I leave. I do often ignore its route guidance and make it stick with the route I have chosen because I don't really trust that it will give me an efficient route or one that does not end up in a river. I try to use common sense and also have many (now old) street maps in my vehicles "just in case."

I find GPS most helpful when I am in areas that I am not 100% certain of and haven't prepared a route (in cases of detours or bad traffic). In the past, I would find myself driving aimlessly picking roads, often going the wrong direction, and spending way more time "detouring" than if I had sat in traffic in the first place.

So while I do no rely on GPS, I do find it to be a handy tool.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like mine but I don't rely on it alone- I have a proper (up to date) map too. I drive a lot for work, so it's nice to have the option to use it!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I like mine, but you have to be careful. the Magellan was 1/2 mile off in my old neighborhood, which could be a big problem (middle of nowhere, heavy woods). The Garmin tried to send me over a seasonal road mid winter (so when there was a huge snowbank in front of us, we decided we should find an alternate route)... it has saved me from traffic snarls and helped in new cities, but also got me lost in the French Countryside (OK, that wasn't sooo bad )

The biggest issue is that I wish it sounded like Sam Elliot instead of that stupid woman's voice....

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    I hate them, hate riding with people who have them and fear for the continuation of our species since nobody can add, spell or read a map anymore!
    Amen

I worked at Yellowstone last summer in reservations and I can't tell you how many times someone would ask for GPS coordinates for the park. HELLO - it's 2.2 million acres in the enitre NW corner of Wyoming, I think you should be able to find it! And GPS doesn't work in the park and people would respond with "I NEED a coordinate!" Had a guest call from somewhere because they couldn't find the campground. Heard a lot of banging and clanging in the background. Turns out their GPS took them God knew where and they were lost on a dirt road God knew where. "But this is where the GPS told us to go!" Told them to turn around, get back to the paved road and follow the signs. They must have made it because their weren't any Park Ranger notices the next day.

I've found that the GPS sometimes replaces common sense.

Don't have one, don't want one.