The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I love mine. I took a bunch of kids out on a giant trail ride and of course I got us all lost and turned around. After hours of wandering in the woods I finally remembered by phone has a GPS. Turned in on, followed it out of the woods...
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

According to the GPS I don"t exist.

1 members found this post helpful.

I hate the ones for cars- I am definitely a paper map kinda girl (and I travel a lot!). I figure if I can navigate all over foreign countries with a paper map, I sure as heck don't need a GPS at home LOL!
    Now, that being said I do have a Garmin E-Trex for endurance but I don't really use the mapping feature unless I want to lay out a training route. I do use the odometer feature constantly for training.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I have horrible, horrible sense of direction and a complete inability to follow directions while driving. Heck, I can barely find my way down the street on my own. I would be S.C.R.E.W.E.D. without GPS. I do like to have written directions to give me the best route, but I refuse to get in the car without GPS (or at least navigation on my phone). Besides, if I take a wrong turn or there's construction or a detour, I would have no idea how to get back on the correct route. I turn the volume off because the voice is obnoxious.

And yes, I am from the technology generation. But before everyone starts with the 'Back in my day..." crap about how technology is ruining people's ability to for themselves, my grandmother has the same problem I do. The only difference is that I have GPS, so no one will be telling stories about how I drove for three hours after getting lost on the way to the grocery (true story, poor Grandma)!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I like GPS, it helps make driving in strange areas less stressful, especially when you are alone and it's hard to handle a map and drive. Mine broke about a year and a half ago, however, and I've been doing without. I didn't realize just how much it was interfering with my ability to learn how to around in new places, until I no longer had it. For a one time trip to somewhere you likely won't go again, it's helpful. When you will be in a strange place for a while, it's probably better to learn your way around the hard way, so it sticks! I spent some time in Nashville and San Francisco without it (places I'd never been before) and was pleasantly surprised at how I could get pretty well oriented after the first day and kind of wing it, with a little help from directions, after that. When I thought back to trips I'd taken WITH the GPS, I was 100% reliant on it and didn't really get a feel for how a new city was laid out.

Anyone old enough to remember the song "In the Year 2525"? All this technology is going to atrophy our brains sooner or later.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I have mixed feelings. At times it is helpful, but it has not reduced the fighting with DH when he is driving and I am navigating. His response to missing a turn is to immediately increase his speed and then start taking random turns, all the while yelling at me to give him new directions while the GPS is constantly recalculating to account for his turning all over the place. He refuses to believe that PULLING OVER and finding a new route is the best thing to do. I actually find a paper map easier to deal with in this situation.

Also, it shows our dead end street connecting through to another road, so we CONSTANTLY have lost people turning around to retrace their steps down our unlit, rural gravel road. The other night we had an 18-wheeler stuck in front of the house. The idiot thought he could just turn around in our (narrow, gravel, ditch and tree lined) driveway. Umm, no. DH was out there for an hour and a half helping him back all the way back up the road.

I like it, but to get to my house, it brings you in on a bunch of back 1 1/2 lane roads, when you could take the 4 lane road and cut off 15 minutes. I'm not kidding about the 1 1/2 lanes, just wait until you meet a truck or a school bus barreling down the road. Then of course, for the longest time, it thought my farm was the farm at the other end of the road, which is a dealer/broker/hoarder. The numbering is all screwed up, the HOA mailbox is numbered 99 at one end of the road and that house next to it starts at 10.

We all have emergency address numbers on poles right by our driveways.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I like both in the car.

My GPS is outdated, though, so sometimes I have to play "Restaurant Roulette" in an unfamiliar area. You key in a type of food you want to eat and drive to see if the restaurant is still there. Found some gems that way!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't have one. I usually know where I'm going.

You can't imagine the times I've told van companies bringing a horse here that "You need to give the driver THESE directions, because you will NOT like where GPS puts you!"

Then I get that call from the 18-wheel, 53-footer driver who just got himself on the Berlin Turnpike or the Merritt (both cars only, low bridges!) or is bottomed-out and can't turn around on the road above mine . . .

Well, I told you so!

I did not despise my GPS in the slightest when my truck went 'put put quit' in the middle of the WNY farmland over the weekend, with trees to my left and trees to my right, and a horse waiting on the two horse I was hauling, and I was able to tell people my exact location by looking it up on my phone.

I don't despise GPS, I recognize they may be useful in a number of situations, but I don't trust them one bit, and I've proved my husband over and over again that yes, the GPS is WRONG, just look at this here map...I let him follow the GPS once over a bridge (WRONG! We're not supposed to cross the stream, just LOOK AT THIS HERE MAP!) and up a winding, very narrow road to the top of the mountain - and the end of the road- , where he had some trouble even turning the car around...that was his lesson, he now trusts me and my MAP! lol

If I feel I have to use a GPS for whatever reason, I always, always take a paper map with me.
    I actually LOVE maps. Pretty soon, people will rely so much on technology that they won't know how to read them tho...what a shame.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

They're a useful tool but if you depend on them for divine guidance, of course you're going to hate them. Use your eyes and brains too, not just follow the GPS blindly.

I don't carry paper maps anymore. Between the free map upgrades on my GPS and my Google Maps Navigator app on my Smartphone, I can usually get where I'm going without too much gnashing of teeth.

Sure, they're not perfect but NO technology is perfect, even paper maps.

If people are too stupid to use the brain and eyes they come with, they deserve to end up in the middle of a lake.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

2 members found this post helpful.

Every single word of what Poltroon said. GPS absolutely does NOT work in the rural South. Apparently they don't update their maps that often. I work in a fast-developing area where they made the junction of 2 state highways into a cloverleaf and straightened an access road 5 *years* ago: GPS does not know the first thing about it. I've boarded horses at 3 different barns down here that GPS could not find. And if you want stories about GPS not working, ask Pony4me, who (as I found out yesterday) literally has to come and meet every single person who tries to find her house, b/c GPS will send you 2 different ways, neither of which will get you there. I have learned the hard way to Mapquest *everything* before I leave!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I suppose "distrust" would have been a more apt title..lol
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I will tell people coming from my barn if they are coming from a particular town NOT to turn on Grady Cleveland Road, it turns into a rough dirt road before it hits my road.
    Almost every time they do and admit they did not pay attention and just followed the GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Every single word of what Poltroon said. GPS absolutely does NOT work in the rural South. Apparently they don't update their maps that often. I work in a fast-developing area where they made the junction of 2 state highways into a cloverleaf and straightened an access road 5 *years* ago: GPS does not know the first thing about it. I've boarded horses at 3 different barns down here that GPS could not find. And if you want stories about GPS not working, ask Pony4me, who (as I found out yesterday) literally has to come and meet every single person who tries to find her house, b/c GPS will send you 2 different ways, neither of which will get you there. I have learned the hard way to Mapquest *everything* before I leave!
    MapQuest is not that good either. It sends people past my house to a beautiful stand of pine trees a mile down the road.

I enjoy 'real' maps but I'll use a GPS. We vacationed in Charleston, SC a few weeks ago and enjoyed using it to go to restaurants,to different museums, etc, 'real' destinations, you know? That was great, and freed me up to look around while it did the work and DH did the driving. Now it cannot find MY house, but hey, it's not exactly a 'destination'.

I like using my Garmin GPS. The part I like best is the warning for turns. BUT ... I do not trust it nor follow its directions blindly. Driving with a 28 foot horse trailer behind doesn't make for narrow roads or sharp turns.
    I always have directions and use the GPS for confirmation when traveling out of my local area.

Remember. People have gotten killed blindly following a GPS. Winter storms and desert come to mind when I read of a GPS fatality.